Lee PrecisionWidenersLoad DataRepackbox
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: 38 cal .380 & .375 "Money type" bullet

38 cal .380 & .375 "Money type" bullet

I had a request from our Aussy friends to make a "Money type" bullet for breech seating in a 38 cal, Pedersoli HW. They have groove diameters of .380.

I also added a bullet, on the same design for .375 barrels and this buy will be for both sizes.

It will also work in a fixed loaded cartridges. It will stabilize in a 16 or faster twist.

I have 8 buyers, over on the ASSRA forum and may have more, soon. So, it shouldn't take long to get this on the mill and the bullets, into your rifle

You can join in at the NOE Forum:

http://noebulletmolds.com/smf/index....4;topic=1982.0

Frank
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ELCO__.376_X_1.33_BS__332_gr_Sketch.Jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	191570Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ELCO__.381_X_1.33_BS__340_gr_Sketch.Jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	64.4 KB 
ID:	191571
    Last edited by frnkeore; 03-24-2017 at 12:40 PM.

Vendor Sponsor

From my experience and those around me at the time.

I think the Pedersoli rifle in question is 12 twist silhouette model. Pedersoli also made an 18T 38-55 but it was a different rifle in many ways than the 18T silhouette.

This bullet design will not be stable in an 18t rifle.

In a 16t not so good either for midrange - calm days on a 200y course could do well.

15T barrel is better but the same caution applies to midrange, in other words, an accurate load at 200y on a calm day may shoot poorly at longer distances and in switchy winds.

A GM 14T barrel is better and the 12T is the way to go. Longer ballets up to 1.425" should be good in the 12T Pedersoli silhouette.

This bullet design is a good, high Bc design but not really a "money" design true to a class of bullet known as "mini-groove" which the money is a member of.
    Chill Wills

Vendor Sponsor

I might add that if NOE produces this bullet, it will be made well, and true to the design. If it meets your needs it should shoot well. Based on price, it is a very good deal!
    Chill Wills

I wasn't aware that Pedersoli had a 18 twist 38/55 rifle so, I will rule that out as well as the many 18 twist Schuetzen that were common in my sport, before 1990. So, if interested in this bullet, check your twist rate.

The Money "Type" was just implying that the nose is similar to a Money bullet. It's is not a true Money nose, either.

I was asked to do a 200 meter bullet and @ 200M it will be well stabilized in a 16 twist. In Schuetzen, we do not shoot over stabilized bullets, like in LR. We only want them to go through the target point on and build the load around it. The stabilization factor is 1.98 in 16 twist. The current ASSRA group records for 5 & 10, 200 yard (5 shot .275 last Aug & 10 shot .924 ), was set with bullets of approx 1.5 stability factor. Average wining 5 shot 200 yd groups run about 1".

While this bullet may work well at LR, it wasn't designed for that. I think it would work very well to 600 yd, in a rifle design to shoot that distance or in a Silhouette rifle, to 500M.

Chill Wills, thank you, very much for your input.

Frank

Nice looking boolit .
    Cheers,
    R
    Last edited by RonT; 03-26-2017 at 11:44 AM.
    Spes Mea in Deo Est

My mold for the fast twist Pedersoli is a Paul Jones 375gn With the Starline long brass I get a full 50gns Swiss No.2 (3FG) with the pill virtually breech seated as shown.

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Man
    Bad ***, is your 375 bullet stable at 200 yds. or does it take longer to settle down? what is your MV?

Vendor Sponsor

Frank, thank you for putting in the time and effort. It is no small amount of your time either.

I know you have done a few of these bullet mold buys and I have benefited from your efforts.
    Chill Wills

Cuts nice clean holes at 200 & 300 MV with that load is 1182fps.

It is interesting that a big boolit will have enough inertia to not move before pressure is high so I get a complete burn of BP with little residue. The 45/90 with it's 550gn boolit and the 50/90 with 650gn boolits do the same thing, raise back pressure with much better and cleaner burning.
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Quote Originally Posted by frnkeore View Post
    I had a request from our Aussy friends to make a "Money type" bullet for breech seating in a 38 cal, Pedersoli HW. They have groove diameters of .380
    Everything I've read says the Pedersoli 1885 High Wall in 38-55 has a groove diameter of 0.379 and mine does. There's a video on the rifle wherein a Brooks TRU-BORE 370 grain and a BACO Money 360 grain bullet were tested with excellent results.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	38-55 load 1.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	191811 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	38-55 load 2.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	191812
    This bullet also closely resembles the 630 grain Lyman 378674 which has proven to be a good bullet in my rifle.
    So I'm thinking this bullet may well be worth some time and effort for a little experimenting. Besides, warm weather's coming and I'm stock piling my excuses to go to the range.

Chill Wills,
    Your very welcome.

Frank

Boolit Master
    I remember years ago reading an article about "Muny " type bullets, but google gives nothing.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by justashooter View Post
    I remember years ago reading an article about "Muny " type bullets, but google gives nothing.
    Search for "money bullet shiloh" and you will find plenty of information.

Chris.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm currently shooting a 365 grn NASA style bullet in my fast twist 38-55 with very good results. I'm running it in the 1225 fps range and it does good on the swinging rams we shoot at 500 yds. My Mould was made by Bernie Rowels of Old West Moulds. A brass 2 cavity.