MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
WidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Repackbox
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: Lyman Acculine reloading press

Lyman Acculine reloading press

I have a new never used Lyman Acculine reloading press. No box with no instructions. I do not use a single stage press. It was part of a reloading package that i bought. Can anyone tell me what its worth?
    Peter DiMatteo

Banned
    I just picked one off swap & sell with the box and instructions for something like 35.00. It's a nice one too.
    Ken

ok i think i will list it. No box or instructions but it has never been used.
    Peter DiMatteo

Quote Originally Posted by Pressman View Post
    I just picked one off swap & sell with the box and instructions for something like 35.00. It's a nice one too.
    Ken
    I just got one in a box of reloading stuff I bought. I sure would like to have a copy of the manual or a picture of what the different handle positionsare. I have looked all over the web and can't find the manual any where, I sent Lyman an email but no response yet. Thanks for any help in findig this information

Hey Carbnut,

Send me an E-Mail to < davidcwile@gmail.com) > and I will send a printout of my old Lyman Acculine Press instructions with a few drawings. I still have mine after 60+ years.

Best wishes,
    Dave Wile

Hey Ken can ya post a pic of the press?
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Quote Originally Posted by super6 View Post
    Hey Ken can ya post a pic of the press?
    Hey Super 6,

I have no idea how to post pics on the forum, but if you send me an E-Mail to my address I provided in Post#5 above, I would be happy to send you scans I made of my instructions along with a couple of drawings of the press.

Best wishes,
    Dave Wile

In my opinion, this is what all hand presses should aspire to..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lyman Aculine.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master
    I have been accused of being a Lyman fan-boy, but the Acculine press is one product I just can’t warm up to. It’s a very light duty single stage press when bolted to a bench, and strikes me as very user un-friendly as a hand held. The Lee is more anatomically correct for hand use, and Randy Buckingham’s iteration of the old Decker design is even better. I hate to cast shade on my friends in orange but the Acculine press is neither fish nor fowl, and as such doesn’t fit either of its potential duties well.

JMHO-YMMV,
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

I always thought it was a good idea. Too bad it didn't work out well.
    I have several bench mounted presses, and dies for all I load for.
    I have a Lee hand press to make them portable.
    For some of the calibers I loads for I have Lyman 310 tools. One of my bench presses is a Tru Line JR to go with the 310 tools.
    So loading at home or being portable is no problem.
    Leo

As Posted by Froggie:
    I have been accused of being a Lyman fan-boy, but the Acculine press is one product I just can’t warm up to. It’s a very light duty single stage press when bolted to a bench, and strikes me as very user un-friendly as a hand held. The Lee is more anatomically correct for hand use, and Randy Buckingham’s iteration of the old Decker design is even better. I hate to cast shade on my friends in orange but the Acculine press is neither fish nor fowl, and as such doesn’t fit either of its potential duties well.
    Froggie
    Hey Froggie,

In more than 60 years of reloading, I have been a fan of Lyman, RCBS, Pacific, Hornady, MEC, and probably some other brands of equipment that will not come to mind right now. For hand held reloading I used the Lyman 310 Nutcracker tool back in the 1950s, and when Lyman came out with their Acculine Press went for it right away largely because it used regular dies for full-length sizing. Both of them require a lot more effort than any bench press of course, but one should remember they are meant for "hand" use in the field - not at a bench. Unlike you, I easily "warmed up" to both hand tools when away from the bench, and there are times when I actually use one or the other just to keep my "feel" for them. Remember, the Nutcracker has a history that goes back to buffalo cartridges and the hunters who slept out on the prairie. They are not just light duty only. I reloaded 30 caliber rifle rounds in both, but the Nutcracker was neck size only of course. I even reloaded (full length) 30-06 cartridges with the Acculine press, but I readily admit using a bench press is much easier.

It has been many years since I did any reloading in the field - just too old for it. However, I will never miss an opportunity to show someone how these hand tools are used if someone asks. I simply do it at the kitchen table on a more comfortable chair rather than sitting on the ground or on a tree trunk.

Best wishes,
    Dave Wile

Boolit Grand Master
    Dave,

You’re preaching to the choir on the 310 tool, I’ve used them for a few decades, done a fair amount of research on their history and evolution, and even written a couple of minor articles on them. Still love the 310 for field use, especially 32-40, 45-70, etc. Also still use the little dies in the TruLine Jr on my bench, especially for 32 S&W Long.

As for the Acculine though, I just can’t share your enthusiasm. It just doesn’t seem very ergonomic to me. Instead, I bought the Lee hand press and used it until I got the opportunity to acquire a like-new HDS hand press in a beat up box. After that I never looked back. I use the bench press when I can, but if I’m going to be doing anything heavy duty away from home, the HDS is my go-to tool. Then again, it’s “different strokes for different folks” right?

Regards,
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    Green Frog is spot on about the Acculine press being flimsy and that it is not ergonomic as a hand held.

That said I still like mine with all it’s warts. I use it for light work only and keep my fingers out of the pinch area.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

In Remembrance

I have one on the shelf with the box but not sure if I have the papers for it. I have used it a couple times just to tinker around a bit.
    I like that is set up to work two ways, lift the handle or lower the handle but I can't seem to change it out with my LEE press. I found mine at a flea market for $5 so I grabbed it.