Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee Precision
Wideners Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 17 Winchester Super Mag!

Boolit Master

17 Winchester Super Mag!

Saw a ad today in The American Rifleman at first I thought another name for 17 HMR but its all new cartridge. 3000 FPS looks like a rim fire 220 Swift.
    That is going to be my next rifle, ammo should be $15-20 a box of fifty.
    U S Navy Retired. NRA Lifetime Member. NMLA. SASS Member Time magazine Person of the year 2006

Boolit Master
    Ok....
    Been paddlin' upstream all my life, don't see no reason to turn around now.

Boolit Master

Save the fired brass, swagers will want it to make jackets for bullets in 7 mm, 7.35, or maybe even .30-.31 cal. I'd love to be able to shoot home-swaged bullets in my Mosin Nagant (except I'll never be able to afford the swaging dies and a press stout enough for the job).

Boolit Master
    Ammo? And where do you buy that? The factories can't even supply calibers that have been around for a hundred years and .... well, just let me suggest that you wait to buy one until you can purchase a case of ammo .... I wish you well but fear it might be awhile even if you get the gun until you can feed it.

I saw the write ups and it sounds interesting, but having trouble feeding what I already have and that one you can't cast and reload for....Just saying
    "The trick is to stop thinking of it as 'your' money" (Tax Auditor)

Life is not waiting for the storm to subside, life is about learning to dance in the rain.

Boolit Master

Right now Midway is saying ammo in stock in July. I thought was really new then checked over at rim fire central, they have a new forum on it, lots of info.
    U S Navy Retired. NRA Lifetime Member. NMLA. SASS Member Time magazine Person of the year 2006

In Remembrance
    There was a thread on them here a month or so back.

Boolit Master

IMO if you are a handloader ? i would get the 17 hornet or even the 22 hornet you can load either for less that the cost of loaded 17 WSM and it is possible Winchester will be the only ones making ammo or rifles for the 17 WSM unless it becomes popular. as it requires all new tooling for the manufactures to make the ammo as it uses a case larger than a 22 mag
    It may have the same fate as the Remington 5MM rimfire , only time will tell ?

Boolit Master

I guess some do not remember the 5 MM Remington, which I do all to well! This new RF looks good and may turn out to be the cat's meow or it could just as easily take a nose dive and leave the new owners with a shiny new rifle and no ammo, not saying it will not take off and do good but I certainly would not be the first to jump in and buy one. Then again I remember these very same warnings not long ago about the other 17 RFs and now they seem to be firmly established so let's hope that's going to be the case for this VERY interesting new round!
    Last edited by oldred; 02-28-2013 at 12:02 PM.

In Remembrance

Since it is a new cartridge that won`t let you interchange 17 HMR rounds in it for economy or necessity and the absence of ammo on the market at present and for who knows how long into the future, my crystal ball sees a very possible repeat of the 5mm Remington rimfire.Robert

Boolit Master

It sure looks like Winchester's timing was bad on this one!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    There was a thread on them here a month or so back.
    Nothing showed up when I did a search?

Boolit Buddy
    i am going to buy one just for the hell of it.

Boolit Master

If they do put enough ammo on the shelves I doubt there will be a panic run on it!

Boolit Master
    I have enough loading to do. If you factor in the dies and time cleaning the brass and loading the ammo it makes a 15-20 dollar box of rim fire ammo seem like a good enough deal.

If ammo was accurate enough for 200-250 yard shooting small varmints and at the quoted price of 15-20 it will be a good deal.
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries

Banned

winchester is waiting for savage to put out the rifle before they offer the round.
    one thing i was reminded of when i went whaaaaAT?
    was that win-olin ammo maker is different than winchester-FnH gun maker.

I'm rebarreling my CZ 453 fron 17 HMR to 22 mag. I was disappointed with the 17 cal. My safe wont see one.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rollmyown View Post
    I'm rebarreling my CZ 453 fron 17 HMR to 22 mag. I was disappointed with the 17 cal. My safe wont see one.
    This is like saying "I was disapointed with the 22 Hornet so I rebarreled to 30-06, my safe wont see a 223..."

Big difference. The parent cartridge is much better for me. Penetration for me is sub par on game bigger than rabbits.
    Doesn't like wind much either. Just my experience. All I am saying is I don't like 17's

You've got to compare like for like - the 22 mag and 17HMR are both small game cartridges.
    The 22 Hornet and 30-06 are apples and oranges.
    Last edited by rollmyown; 03-02-2013 at 03:41 AM.

Maybe current 22 Mag ammo is better than it was 20 years ago.When i had 22 mags ammo brands (and lots) varied in accuracy quite bit.While the 17 HMR seemed to shot right off the bat.I like them both OK but currently own neither.I load down a 22-250 with cast to 22 mag velocity for my intermediate stuff.The Win "super" 17 RF might be worth a try.
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast