Snyders JerkyLoad DataReloading EverythingWideners
Titan ReloadingRepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Micrometers

Micrometers

Does anyone use micrometers or do most (like me) just use calipers. I've got a micrometer that was given to me, but I never use it. I've been reloading for years and I have yet to find a need for a micrometer. What will it do that a caliper won't. Am I missing something here?

Thanks

Boolit Master

It is a matter of accuracy for our needs. Micrometers are used to measure the diameter of bullets. Calipers are used to measure case length.

Boolit Grand Master

Michrometers are more accurate than most calipers, also if they have the vernieer on them will read one place finer .0001 compared to .001. Mikes are easier to handle once you learn to use them. Calipers have come along ways in accuracy in my time in the trade ( Tool Maker). Most read to .0005 now but alot dont trust the last place. I have a set of mics here I originally used for gage making that read to .00005. Both are delicate tools that need to be handled gently. Both need to be checked for calibration when being used. A trick to calipers is to check at or close to the desired measurement. IE if measuring 2" check with a 2" gage block or standard rather than running down to 0. Make sure jaws are clean and burr free. Peridically check through out the range at every inch.

Boolit Grand Master

For boolit diameters, the .0001 micrometer is required. Pretending that the calipers
    are actually accurate to tighter than .001 is a fun game, but not connected to reality.
    READING the instrument to more accuracy than it can deliver is a silly waste of time,
    although some claim "I can read it to . . . . . ." whatever.

Enco Tool sells Fowler .0001 reading mics for typically at or under $35 most of the time.
    Used Brown & Sharpe, Starrett or Mitutoyo mics on eBay can be good deal. Make sure
    it has the last digit vernier to get to .0001

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Buddy

I am sometimes amused at folks who degrade calipers. Perhaps some are as inaccurate as their reputation, but both of mine have read dead on when compared to my mic on the occasions I've compared the readings. I admit, they are not for reading .0001 accuracy, but if all you need is .001, mine are just fine. I've seen some folks tell you that they vary +/- .002 or more. I've just not seen that with mine. Even for measuring bullets, I figure a reading to the closest .001 is close enough for me. Since I try to oversize by .001 to .002., I'm not real concerned whether that is .0009 or .0011, so long as it's over and not way over. Maybe it makes more difference to those that are better shots than me.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MtGun44 View Post
    For boolit diameters, the .0001 micrometer is required. Pretending that the calipers
    are actually accurate to tighter than .001 is a fun game, but not connected to reality.
    READING the instrument to more accuracy than it can deliver is a silly waste of time,
    although some claim "I can read it to . . . . . ." whatever.

Enco Tool sells Fowler .0001 reading mics for typically at or under $35 most of the time.
    Used Brown & Sharpe, Starrett or Mitutoyo mics on eBay can be good deal. Make sure
    it has the last digit vernier to get to .0001

Bill
    I remember in college(BC-Before Calculators) we always swaged the last digit when using a slide rule. Not sure why since professors really didn't care about that. I guess it made us feel like we were being real engineers.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Mold
    I use my Mitutoyo digital Caliper for 95% of my brass processing with great results.

Boolit Grand Master

Calipers are the perfect tool for brass measurement.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Regardless of the instrument accuracy, operator "feel" is the key to proper operation. I taught use of calipers and micrometers for years and can assure you that a poorly trained operator can screw up even the finest instrument! They are LESS apt to mess up a measurement using a dial caliper.

Flash
    You Gotta Die Of Something........It May As Well Be Something That You Like!

Lovin' the Harley Idle: potato........potato...........potato

Boolit Buddy

This is a little off topic, but I once had a guy tell me he went over to a friend's house where he was building a model airplane. The guy was using some 0-1 mics for C-Clamps! Seems his father-in-law had passed away and left him his tools. Bet that guy is spinning in his grave faster than that airplane's prop.

Boolit Master
    I use calipers for brass work and a micrometer when making bullets.

Boolit Buddy

I own both, use both and as others have said, calipers are great for measuring things such as case length, micrometers are best for boolit and bullet diameters. Don't use el cheapo models, get good brand names. I got mine used on Ebay, both like new at very low prices.
    INFIDEL

Boolit Grand Master

The biggest thing with precisson measuring is "learning" the feel of the tool and what that feels like. Without that touch/feel accuracy is out the window. I worked 35 years as tool maker gagemaker and measuring was always an issue on the floor. Gage and layout had CMMs that didnt require that feel. They also had a controlled enviroment of temperature and humidity. Heat affects measurements also. I use Mics way more than calipers ( vernier, dial or digitals). The first thing that you need to do when measuring is wipe faces and check zero on the insterment. On close work I checked with gage blocks or pins at the dimension also, IE a swaging bullets of 308 dia I would check 0-1s with a 308 gage pin. That way I know 308 is 308 not 3077 or 3083. One of the things you learn with years of experience.

Love Life
    I use the micrometer for many things. Especially for setting my taper crimp on my auto pistol calibers.

Calipers get used for measuring brass length, with the comparator, etc.

Boolit Master
    I use dial calipers for most of my everyday reloading processes to insure that I stay with the acceptable "range". But if I want to know the actual dimension of something I use a mic. I have three, including a blade mic and a ball mic. And I have a stand, which can make all the difference.
    BD
    Last edited by BD; 02-25-2014 at 10:11 PM.

I think it is test and verify to answer your question. If your calipers are accurate in the range you want to measure, they are fine. I've checked my three calipers against some pin gauges I bought for cylinder throat measurements and none of them were accurate within one thou. 1 Mitutoyo dial and 2 digital cheapies. Get out the olde ten thou mic and bingo, right on the money to .xxxx accuracy. Same as everyone else, I measure bullets and crimps with the micrometer and brass and OAL with the calipers.
    Stu

Banned
    A "Good" set of calipers will measure very accurately. As a former quality control person I was trained in the proper use of both and CAN obtain an accurated reading from either. A mic in the hands of a person who doesn't know how to properly use it doesn't account for an increased accuracy. Ever seen a person try to measure something with a mic and tighten the mic entirely too tight? Any tool is only as good as the person using it.

Banned

correct answer. either depend more on the operator then the differences between them.
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    A "Good" set of calipers will measure very accurately. As a former quality control person I was trained in the proper use of both and CAN obtain an accurated reading from either. A mic in the hands of a person who doesn't know how to properly use it doesn't account for an increased accuracy. Ever seen a person try to measure something with a mic and tighten the mic entirely too tight? Any tool is only as good as the person using it.

Boolit Master
    I have both, mostly Brown & Sharpe. I often use a micrometer to gage case length, just set it at the length you are checking for and lock the spindle. Also for correct overall length. That is with a 1-2" or 2-3" mic.

Boolit Master

Handloader's should have a caliper and a micrometer both if they are serious.

REMEMBER, these are PRECISION INSTRUMENTS and need to be treated as such.

A micrometer IS NOT A SUBSTITUTE for a C-CLAMP.

There are YouTube videos on how to PROPERLY READ A MICROMETER also.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast