Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackboxLee Precision
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Alternative punch for Lee push thru die.

Boolit Master

Alternative punch for Lee push thru die.

Playing around with the LEE push through die and the punch that comes with it puts a bleed by ring on the .223 cartridge base. I'm told that cutting the cartridge and using the larger internal punch is the way to go. The punch for the whole case would be some thing less than .223 and could not take the use causing the punch to bend. I'm only reducing .223 cases to .357 jackets. The punch would be something less than 2" long. This is just an experiment till I have a proper jacket reducing die. Any thoughts?
    Bill

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    I'm Not quite understanding what you are saying: but I know if you open up a lee size die you can take up the slack on the punch ( which can produce skirts on the boolits ) by adding the next caliber up copper gas check to it as a sabot Fills the space nicely
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Master

Nice easy lathe project, making a slightly larger punch.
    A piece of 1144 steel would be ideal material.
    My first couple of punches were made from tractor link pins. The farm supply stores have them fairly reasonable priced, some with interesting threads in various sizes.
    These are made from material that machines well with pretty good strength.
    http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pro...lower-link-pin
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by clodhopper View Post
    Nice easy lathe project, making a slightly larger punch.
    A piece of 1144 steel would be ideal material.
    My first couple of punches were made from tractor link pins. The farm supply stores have them fairly reasonable priced, some with interesting threads in various sizes.
    These are made from material that machines well with pretty good strength.
    http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pro...lower-link-pin
    Know them well. My main concern is the diameter and length of the punch to resize the whole .223 at one time. If I use the LEE punch it leaves an edge on the base because the punch engages the base, where as the internal punch would push the case through at one time, however I've been cautioned a punch of the diameter of slightly under the neck diameter is unadvisable. As soon as the snow stops I'm going to T.S. and give the pin a shot. I've looked at them more than once as a source of inspiration, however the bulk bolts have won out most of the time.
    Thanks.

I've wondered from time to time... do the punches vary according to die size ? Is it the same punch regardless of whether the die is a .357 or .359.... or does it even matter ?.....
    May we achieve our aims....

With Lee they do not vary, so a 35 cal punch will work in anything from .352" on up to whatever is the next size for Lee. With the custom ones I've ordered in the past the punch is generally a good 0.005" smaller than the hole even on smaller ones
    Ron Reed
    Oklahoma City, OK