WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackbox
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tumbling large quantities of brass

She would have had so much more if the brass was sold in smaller quantities and the cash invested. No stocking, no mailing or shipping, no storage fees, just income increasing over time.

Can you imagine how you would be received in future generations for your forward thinking?

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

If I had to rent a place to keep the brass I say its more then you need get what you need or think you need and sell the rest and buy a bigger place then you have more room.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Man
    Sorry for the late response everyone, I had some stuff to deal with today. I work at an indoor range by me part time. I get to take home the brass at the end of the night when I work, that's usually 3-5 full five gallon buckets. This week I got to do that twice, so I took home just under 9 full buckets this week. I see what you guys are saying about the quantity of brass, it is starting to become a lot. I am starting to like the idea of selling some and I definitely like the idea of helping some new reloaders out. I would gladly be willing to send some brass to people to help them get started. About 70% of what I bring home is 9mm and the rest is a mixture of everything from 25acp to 45LC. I get small amounts of 308 and 30-30( wish I got more 308).

Boolit Man
    Oh yah, and damn it is such a pain in the *** to separate 9mm from 380 and 38 super. 10mm and 40 isn't nearly as bad as those, but it still sucks.

Boolit Buddy
    Just sorting that much is the worst part. I was going cross eyed after only one 5 gallon bucket of pistol brass; can't imagine doing 5 at a time.

Get a big magnet to pull out the steel case stuff, the aluminum cases are pretty obvious to snatch out, nickel plated next.

Those rotating basket deals seem to work, that's a cheap tool. Once you have it sorted, do a quick walnut in the cement mixer and then weigh out 1000 rounds and keep those to sell. Unfortunately 9mm doesn't get much these days.

Boolit Master

If you have 10mm brass you don't use I'll gladly take some nasty uncleaned 10mm brass off your hands.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

Boolit Grand Master

While brass in that quantity seems like a windfall to most of us I can see it quickly being a burden. I would defiantly sort and keep a quantity for my self and then start selling the rest of it. The 9mm, 40 S&W and 223 is so plentiful that I would consider talking to a scrap dealer. A nice sideline income could result in selling the other calibers. If you have time!

Back to your question, blasting media in walnut hulls or corncob can be bought cheaply in 40 or 50# bags from places like Granger. The last I bought was from a place called Drillspot and it shipped from Granger. This and a Harbor Freight cement mixer and a scale that weighs and counts could have you in the brass business.

I rather enjoy sorting the range brass that I find but it would quickly get old in the quantities that you are getting. I have a stack of loading trays that I use for sorting and counting brass. Maybe look around for a retired guy thats bored if you don't have any kids around.

Boolit Buddy
    Interesting...first thought would be like a kid in a candy store, then reality would kick in
    then the other half would be kickin my bottom. just sitting in the basement now is at least
    100+ fat 50 ammo cans full of 68 LC demil 30-06 brass, stacks here and there of other cal.
    even at that rate.. it starts to become a problem. Was gonna get a sea container for all my
    stuff, but.. I would just fill that up. Anyway in your case anything you do is like the saying
    "Super Size Me" and with that comes the out lay of $$$. So as some have said sell off the
    extra... oh wait saw .45 LC...got any?

Get one of those things they got at Chucky Chesse a cage like thing with balls in it, the kids
    jump in only in your case fill it up with brass and jump in...got to add a little humor..

-Rock

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mjkonopka View Post
    Oh yah, and damn it is such a pain in the *** to separate 9mm from 380 and 38 super. 10mm and 40 isn't nearly as bad as those, but it still sucks.
    You won't maximize the selling price, but you could just sell MFRBs as either dirty pistol or dirty rifle, just give an estimate of what makes it up like you said above. Maybe it's easy to be a little more specific, but you need to be thinking about how to sell a bucket of brass a day.

i wouldn't process it at all beyond rough sorting until you know what the market will pay.

if you do sort it, let me know what you want for 38super.

Boolit Master
    Here's a way to separate brass:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpkUnUqMo8U

It's how I'd do it if someone gave me a lot of brass...even if I paid the shipping
    Last edited by Kenstone; 03-15-2017 at 04:27 PM.

Boolit Man
    I really do need to start selling some, I just got another 5 buckets tonight and I'll most likely get another 4-5 Friday night as well. When I go to the shop next I'll try to remember to take a picture of everything I have for you guys. I really don't want to sell a lot, probably just enough to pay for my shooting habit.

Boolit Man
    I think for tumbling, I am going to order 50lbs of ss pins online and use the cement mixer to wet tumble it. If I keep getting this much brass on a weekly basis, the pins will pay for itself in no time, as opposed to walnut or corn cob media. Is that theory sound, or am I under estimating dry media?

Boolit Grand Master

I'm in the minority but I won't buy brass that's been cleaned w/ SS pins. I want dry media to knock off the crud and that's it. It's also a lot more work to process the brass w/ SS pins. W/ the amount of brass you're talking about sell it as is.

Boolit Master
    I think for tumbling, I am going to order 50lbs of ss pins online and use the cement mixer to wet tumble it. If I keep getting this much brass on a weekly basis, the pins will pay for itself in no time, as opposed to walnut or corn cob media. Is that theory sound, or am I under estimating dry media?
    Cement Mixer, no pins needed
    search it...

Boolit Grand Master

I think the wet process is going to be pretty labor intensive at the volume you are talking about. I would give them a light tumble in dry media and call it good.

Boolit Master

I take it you are a single guy? Too much time on your hands?

Just sell the stuff "as is" for a competitive price. Sorting it, boxing it and mailing it will keep you busy enough.

Boolit Man
    Yes I am a single guy, no one to yell at me for the buckets and buckets of brass taking over the garage. Lol. I think I'll sell the brass as is and wet tumble all the brass I'm going to keep. Now comes the problem of sorting ������. I wish I could afford one of those ultimate sorters.

Boolit Master

Where are you located? I'd come over and help sort as long as I could keep the 10mm and .357 Mag
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

Boolit Man
    I'm in Chicago. I would definitely let you keep the 10mm and half the 357 mag.

Boolit Master

Ahh... that's too far to drive and I have an aversion to Chiraq.
    Semper Fi!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast