Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Load DataRepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TC Contender in .44 Mag

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fatelvis View Post
    Another option is to buy a 357 mag barrel and have Bellm ream it out to Max. I shoot mine in IHSMA out to 200 yds with 225grn cast boolits, and it's lighter recoiling and shoots much flatter than a 44. (I use a Pride-Fowler scope with a 44 mag calibrated reticle, and I always find myself holding way under the appropriate yardage hash marks).
    I agree about the flat shooting and light recoil of the Max. I just sold my Max barrel...mine did very well with j-words...I just couldn't get it do as well with cast.

Super Moderator

I have a T/C Factory barrel, and it shoots very well, no problems with throat etc. It will put these wadcutters http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=43-190W-D.png into the same hole at 50 yards from a rest. A 4X Leupold scope sits on it. 6 grains of Bullseye is the ticket. It pretty much shoots everything very well, including the Lee C430-310 pushed hard. I tend to stay with the target loads lately though...much more enjoyable to shoot.

Boolit Master

I hate to correct someone, but I can shoot groups like that at 100 yards with my Contender with the 7TCU barrel and J-word boolits. Of course I'm using sand bags, but so what.... I have a 10 inch .44 mag barrel that will shoot goups like that off sand bags at 50 yards. I use a 250 gr. semi-wad cutter and 9.0 gr. of unique. No scopes on either barrel! And I can shoot groups of under 1/2 inch with my .222 Rem. bull barreled 700 BDL at the same 100 yards. I'm sure my firearms are capable of better, but I'm not.

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jimb16 View Post
    I hate to correct someone, but I can shoot groups like that at 100 yards with my Contender with the 7TCU barrel and J-word boolits. Of course I'm using sand bags, but so what.... I have a 10 inch .44 mag barrel that will shoot goups like that off sand bags at 50 yards. I use a 250 gr. semi-wad cutter and 9.0 gr. of unique. No scopes on either barrel! And I can shoot groups of under 1/2 inch with my .222 Rem. bull barreled 700 BDL at the same 100 yards. I'm sure my firearms are capable of better, but I'm not.
    I hope that you don't think that you are correcting me...cause you are not. My statement about "shooter" was in reference to MY shooting with THAT barrel.

For the record...I can come close to that group with the 30/30 barrel at 100yds...just not with the .44. I have not tried, but I might be able to do it with my 10" 7TCU...at a minimum, it would be better than I can do with the .44.
    Last edited by shoot-n-lead; 03-16-2017 at 02:16 PM.

I know we are talking Contender but I have been able to squeeze 1" at 100yds out of my .243 and .45-70 pistol barrels in my Encore off a front bag. These were 15" barrels but I certainly don't doubt those kinds of groups from lighter contenders with some practice. Then again though, after extensive shooting in a .45-70 pistol, the .44 is quite a pussycat comparably.

shoe

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by iplaywithnoshoes View Post
    I know we are talking Contender but I have been able to squeeze 1" at 100yds out of my .243 and .45-70 pistol barrels in my Encore off a front bag. These were 15" barrels but I certainly don't doubt those kinds of groups from lighter contenders with some practice. Then again though, after extensive shooting in a .45-70 pistol, the .44 is quite a pussycat comparably.

shoe
    I agree...but, I am by no means a good handgun shot...

You put a Contender or Encore in the hand of someone that can shoot...it will turn in some impressive groups...especially, when chambered in a rifle cartridge.

I find that I shoot the rifle cartridges much better than the handgun cartridges, even with recoil being about the same...say with the .44 compared to the 30/30, although the 30/30 has more recoil. That bullet getting out of the barrel quicker, I suppose, greatly reduces the effects of improper grip technique.
    Last edited by shoot-n-lead; 03-16-2017 at 03:44 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by iplaywithnoshoes View Post

shoe
    yep I have shot some great groups with my 454 encore at a 100 yardsAttachment 190935 some times the stars just line up I wish i could do this all the time
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LUCKYDAWG13 View Post
    yep I have shot some great groups with my 454 encore at a 100 yardsAttachment 190935 some times the stars just line up I wish i could do this all the time
    Great shooting there! I have the same barrel for my encore but haven't messed around with it yet. Do you care to share the load data that you used to shoot that group?
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by historicfirearms View Post
    Great shooting there! I have the same barrel for my encore but haven't messed around with it yet. Do you care to share the load data that you used to shoot that group?
    My barrel was made by the T/C custom shop 13" and I had them put the 4 port mag-na ports on it The load was a 300gr boolit
    MP 454-294 HP Mold with a mild load of 27.5 gr of H110
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Buddy
    So, this Walmart special .44 barrel.
    Is the locking block compatible with early frames?
    For that price I may need to figure out a way to get one in the stables.
    I have been wanting to add a.44 mag barrel for a while, and for under $200 delivered I may just have to.

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by modified5 View Post
    So, this Walmart special .44 barrel.
    Is the locking block compatible with early frames?
    For that price I may need to figure out a way to get one in the stables.
    I have been wanting to add a.44 mag barrel for a while, and for under $200 delivered I may just have to.
    I have mixed and matched early and G2 barrels and frames...never had a single issue. I could use later barrels on early frames and early barrels on later frames, with no problem.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks shoot-n-lead. I had read some posts about locking block differences and concerns so I know they are out there.
    Most of my barrels are older ones. The newest is my .375JDJ, and that is a factory barrel that is about 5 years old.
    I may just have to jump on this one and ask for forgiveness later.

Boolit Master
    picked mine up today. Barrel is in factory wrappings.
    Leadmelter
    MI

I have a plain Jane super 14 barrel in 44mag I bought second hand last year. I finally loaded up some Noe plain base and lubed them with Lar's red carnauba with about 10 grains of Unique. I was plinking with the other barrels at 100yds and decided to swap to the 44. It had a cheap BSA red dot on it that was extra on my bench. Heck, the red dot covered the target at 100 yds.

i was astounded when I looked at the 8x10 sheet and found most the hits were on the upper half of the paper. Nothing special about the loads....

it it now sports a Leupold handgun scope and awaits further testing and decent rest.

Boolit Man
    Cheese- Sounds promising. Work with it a bit and see how it goes.
    Good luck
    Couper

Boolit Buddy
    My "Walmart" special hit Reno at 5 pm tonight. I will have it tomorrow.
    I wonder if I can shoot my contender off a rest after my shoulder surgery??
    Not sure how the upward motion of the recoil would affect it. May have to wait another month or so before I wring this one out.

Boolit Master
    modified5
    I would talk to your orthopedics surgeon first. I don't think he will want any jarring of the repaired should for six weeks. Besides, the PT will wipe you out anyway. Is it your dominant arm? Be Careful!!!
    Leadmelter
    Retired MRI Tech

Boolit Buddy
    Leadmelter, it is my HEAVILY dominate arm.
    I am 8 weeks out right now and it is so weak that I can't raise it above my head without assistance.
    I am an auto tech who for years thought nothing about lifting a transfer case above my head to stab it, or bench pressing a transmission into one of my race cars at the track.
    Probably the reason for the damage I have now!!
    Last edited by modified5; 03-23-2017 at 09:34 PM.

I have TC 14" blued 44 never fired if your interested?
    Seeking Thompson Contender, Encore items & collectibles pls pm me or email: nhmikel@yahoo.com

Boolit Master
    modified5
    Your shoulder is the most complicated joint in your body. If you cannot lift arm without assistance is not a good sign.
    Talk to your surgeon or PT person before you undue what was fixed.
    Just a FYI
    Leadmelter
    MI
    Retired MRI Tech after almost 30 yrs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12