Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RepackboxRotoMetals2Load DataWideners
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: Machine tool question on reamers

Machine tool question on reamers

Cleaning out the shop a bit, a box of reamers on the shelf, that has been there for years, don't know where I got them, nor why. I don't know much about these so am looking for input as to what they might be worth (if anything at all), and if this is the kind of thing that S&S people here on the forum could use. There are about 90 of them- the little plastic bag has some VERY small ones in it.

Attachment 190635Attachment 190636
    The essence of education is self reliance- T.H. White.

Currently seeking wood carving tools, wood planes, froes, scorps, spokeshaves... etc....

Banned
    they are chucking reamers. Value would be between $25 each to scrap price. by the picture some have been cut down and shanks turned. Not knowing condition of the cutting edge is a big one. Not hardly worth resharpening anymore

There are a couple that are new in the packaging and they feel "sharp", should I assume that the "dull" feeling ones are scrap?

There were 14 that felt like they were probably shot
    Last edited by beezapilot; 03-15-2017 at 06:31 PM.

Currently seeking wood carving tools, wood planes, froes, scorps, spokeshaves... etc....

Boolit Grand Master

Size and condition of the cutting surface is everything. Post #2 number is correct. The ones in good shape have value. The ones the need to be re-sharpened have little value unless you have the equipment to sharpen them. I do.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 03-15-2017 at 08:00 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

They make a great start for cherries or other custom tooling saving a lot of turning and mill time cutting flutes and then hardening and tempering. At work we saved broken tooling for this reason. grinding a special tool o one already close was a lot quicker than starting from scratch

Would I be out of line to ask $75 shipped for the lot in S&S???

Boolit Grand Master

You can try and maybe come down from there. ask for offers also

Boolit Master
    The above valuations are correct. Only thing I can add is, the shorty with the square shank appears to be a taper pipe reamer. Used prior to tapping a taper pipe thread.

During my apprenticeship I ran the MGM Machine Shop's tool crib. Once or twice a year I'd send a few dozen dull endmills and reamers out to the tool grinder and have some ground down to undersized or oddball sizes.

Was fun to see the look on a guys face when he'd ask if I had some off-the-wall size reamer and I'd produce it.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master

I have bought a lot in the past at a salvage yard for $.50 each. Some had been sharpened and there were a few new ones. Every once in a while I will grind one down for an odd size.