Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad DataSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: M-14 Magazine Pouch

Boolit Grand Master

M-14 Magazine Pouch

A casting Buddy gave me what I think is a M-14 Magazine pouch. Do any of you know what the slot on each side was intended to hold? Also, what are the straps on each side for and what is the snap on the top back for?

Inquiring minds need to know! Thanks!

Boolit Master

Early M16 pouch with grenade holders on each side.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Buddy
    The previous post is correct: The slots on each side are for grenades with the strap to secure them around the top of the fuse. The hook in the back is to secure to the shoulder straps used for the butt pack as well.

This IS an M 14 magazine pouch. I packed one many a mile. The later M-16 pouches were different.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by youngmman View Post
    The previous post is correct: The slots on each side are for grenades with the strap to secure them around the top of the fuse. The hook in the back is to secure to the shoulder straps used for the butt pack as well.

This IS an M 14 magazine pouch. I packed one many a mile. The later M-16 pouches were different.
    Correct. Humped many a mile with them and still have several on my LBE. Look close and you'll see one on each side of me......

Larry Gibson

Attachment 190455

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks for the info Guys. My guesses were pretty close.

Boolit Master

1956 Pattern Web Gear

The original 20 round M16 magazines worked well in the M14 magazine pouches and they were used for some time with the 20 round M16 magazines. The 30 round M16 magazine post Vietnam necessitated an M16 specific pouch.

Oh, by the way, those M14 pouches were considered to be part of the 1956 pattern web gear which was eventually replaced by the ALCE nylon webbing of the late 70s.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1956 Web Gear 2.jpg  
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master

The short nylon M16 magazine pouches are hard to find and kind of collectable, have to dig out a book to get correct nomenclature, may have been a 60 somehing?
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    Love those old canvas mag pouches. No fumbling with it as the nylon collapses with zero structural integrity without mags in it. Plus all sorts of stuff fits in that canvas pouch with way more protection than nylon. I buy every one I can find. Usually for cheap as most don't want them.

Boolit Master

M16 ones were 67-68 mdl gear. BTW, the M14 pouches would also hold 30 round Carbine mags as the Carbine was still in service. Check Shelby Stantons book on RVN uniforms and field gear.
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers