Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
RepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: Anyboby still use a Kake Kutter?

Anyboby still use a Kake Kutter?

My 454190's drop out of the mold perfect size for my .45 Colt and I want to lube them with SPG without the hassle of changing lube in my sizer when I do .45 Colt boolits. Okay, I don't shoot enough .45 Colt to justify another lubrasizer, I can pan lube, maybe drill out a .45-70 cartridge for a Kake Kutter?

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    It'll work. I expanded a .357 case to .360 and drilled out the primer to make one for my .38s.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

I did it for a 8x56R, I don't have the right sizer die, it takes a .330 bullet, used a once fired case drilled out the primer hole with a drill large enough to take a 5/16 pin punch. Pan lubed the bullet, cut them out with the case and pushed them out with the pin punch. Works great for a low volume round in odd ball size.

Good luck.

Yup, looks like that'll work!

Boolit Grand Master

You can get fancy with it if you want and solder a washer over the case so you have something to grip and put a spring on top of it with a wooden knob for thumb comfort.

Unless you are using mud for lube, simply let the lube cool (refrigerate if you must) and press out of the lubricant block. I gave up on cake cutting after the first 10 bullets I pan lubed 20 years ago.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master
    You bet! It's very do-able

Boolit Grand Master

I still use cake cutters for my BPCR bullets. I made mine from Hobby store brass tubing with a .015 thick wall. Mine are 3" long with a short length of tygon tubing on ther back end for grip and comfort. I used a sizing die to size them down to diameter wanted and sharpened with a deburring tool. They are push thru style and I just keep pushing bullets in and take the one from the top.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    I still use cake cutters for my BPCR bullets. I made mine from Hobby store brass tubing with a .015 thick wall. Mine are 3" long with a short length of tygon tubing on ther back end for grip and comfort. I used a sizing die to size them down to diameter wanted and sharpened with a deburring tool. They are push thru style and I just keep pushing bullets in and take the one from the top.
    like this method as you don't have to stop and empty the cutter each time.
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post
    Unless you are using mud for lube, simply let the lube cool (refrigerate if you must) and press out of the lubricant block. I gave up on cake cutting after the first 10 bullets I pan lubed 20 years ago.
    That!
    I still have my cutter but I lubed way more than 10 before I gave it up. Stubborn, I guess...
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Grand Master

My home made lubes all seem to be too soft for 'punching out" from the cake. I have a couple very good lubes (my version of Speed Green and a version of Old NRA lube both work quite well) that don't push out cleanly, so I use my own custom cookie cutters. I found some stainless steel tubing and reamed the ID to a few thousandths over bullet diameter, I use a dowel a couple inches longer than the tube as an "ejector". My tubes are long enough for 5 or 6 bullets before ejecting them from the tube...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master

I have seen some nice ones made from a $2 golf club from the Thrift Store too..... but be sure you get one with a shaft that'll be bigger than .454 inside.

Boolit Master
    Kake Kutters are all I use for my 223 Rem, 32 WS, 30-30 and 30-06. I have several old cake pans that I keep the lube in (several different lube formulas). When I want to lube I pick the lube, melt that pan, set in the bullets and let it cool. Very quick and easy. Once in a while I have to "top off" a pan to keep the level above the lube grooves. My current stock is one pan of Ben's Red, one pan of a vaseline, beeswax and paraffin mix, and one pan of pure paraffin.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Grand Master

On my push thrus I like to barley flare or bell the end of the cutting edge. This starts the cut outside the bullet and as it enter the tube compresses the lube into the grooves better. It also makes it easier to start over a bullet. I do this with the belling die or a pipe flaring tool after the tube has been swaged down to the correct dia.

Boolit Grand Master

Attachment 190488 Heres pics of 3 of my push thru cake cutters