Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackboxLoad Data
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rem Oil

Banned

All good solutions of course but I use barricade--New name for Sheath and maybe improved.
    But one sticks out as the absolute worst and that is WD40. You could not pay me enough to spray a gun with it. Wax is also great.

Boolit Buddy
    I use Brownell's rust preventive #2 and never had an issue no matter how long the storage.

Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    All good solutions of course but I use barricade--New name for Sheath and maybe improved.
    But one sticks out as the absolute worst and that is WD40. You could not pay me enough to spray a gun with it. Wax is also great.
    Picked up a Marlin model 99 22LR. It is mid 1960's and looked to be in almost perfect shape.
    Except it would jam everytime. Quick inspection everthing looked very clean with a perfect bore. Honestly did not look it had ever been shot. Took it down and it had a
    varnish in it that I am pretty sure was WD40. Had to scrape it all out. Oiled it and it
    runs perfectly now. Will not even put WD40 in the same room now with my guns.
    " My people skills are just fine. It's my tolerance for idiots that needs work."

Boolit Grand Master

I am still old school and use rig grease applied to the outside with a lambs wool pad. My pad is impregnated now so I just have to grab it and rub down the firearm. I add a little grease every so often to keep it going. I have the birch wood caseys Sheath here and its good but a little thin for my tastes for true protection also

G-96 for me. I have carried it all over the world in my locked gun case for years with just a bore snake and a wipe rag.
    Ed
    "Let us speak courteously, fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Teddy Roosevelt, May 13, 1903

I do currently use Rem Oil on all the firearms that I store, but here's how I do it: I spray some on a cleaning patch and carefully coat all of the exterior metal and bore. The I affix two strips of Brownell's no-rust paper with rubber bands to the long gun, one on either side, and enclose it in one of their metallic storage bags. Fold that around the gun and then put the entire thing in a cheapie hardcase. So far it has proven good for 5 years.

I used to like the G-96 aerosol and went through a couple of cases of it, but once took out part of my revolver collection to show a vising retired LEO, and every single one was completely gummed up to where not only the cylinders wouldn't rotate, but they couldn't be opened. That provided an entertaining week's work to completely disassemble them, scrub them in kerosene with a toothbrush to remove the gum, lightly oil and reassemble. I've still got a can of it on my bench, but use it sparingly and not for storage.

WD-40 is a pretty good lubricant, but I've always wondered about it's long term storage protective abilities as it seems to evaporate completely after a couple of days.

It's hard to beat a light coating of grease for a preservative, but a mess to deal with when removing.

I do have some long guns that both the stocks and metal are coated with wax, then buffed with a soft cloth. That has often been the case with long guns I have displayed on the wall, as oil attracts and captures dust, but a gun protected with wax can just be wiped off with a dry cloth.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I use Barricade after using the gun. Probably not the greatest for long term storage. I think Brownels sells a product used for long term storage of guns in collections and museums. Do a search
    Actually Barricade is a very good product. It's wax based in an aerosol spray can, the aerosol evaporates and leaves the wax coating. It doesn't evaporate and does keep rust at bay. I use it in Louisiana , known for heat and humidity.
    A good pure Carnauba automotive paste wax is also good. I use Mothers Pure Brazillion Carnauba Wax and apply two coats for long term storage ...this does work.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

Thanks guys for your replies.
    Keep them coming.
    The product that seems to be recommended most is G96....dale

Boolit Master

It all depends on the surface prior to storing. Ever wipe down a factory new gun and come up with a rust patch? I think the only think Rem Oil is good for is wiping down guns. -0- longevity in the lubication department, there are better alternatives. For longer term storage, I go with a liquid MDL. Donxt get an areosol, the stuff smellsmworse than Hoppes. I have never used Rig as I haven't had a need for it. Have considered trying the museum wax stuff though.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

If you have no need for RIG why would you need museum wax?

Just wondering!
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Master

EEZOX!! Premium gun care is a synthetic oil that's extremely slippery AND leaves a protective shield against rust. It's all I use now for the last step before storage, and during cleaning for lubrication.

https://www.amazon.com/Eezox-Synthetic-Gun-Oil-Can/dp/B002XW24MK/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489677122&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=eezzox#Ask

They claim it forms a molecular bond with the metal. Apply the liquid, then wipe of the excess, leaves the metal dry. It comes as a spray as well.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

“At the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat”--Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Buddy
    Ok, I'm a Froglube guy. And love it.
    Nobody has brought the new one on the block. Piglube.
    From Their advertisement:
    Pig Lube is a premium firearm lubricant that utilizes Nano Particle Technology. Imagine microscopic tungsten ball hearings eliminating surface friction on the naturally high friction/high wear contact points of your firearms. We are confident that you will never want to use a different gun lube again!
    So there.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I have used Remoil for years and like it. I have never seen what you are seeing on your guns however I have see this on my steel molds which I spray a heavy coat on prior to wrapping them up in a rag for storage, this could be caused from to much oil.

The brown stuff present from using Rem Oil for long term storage is just dried oil, and a little Hoppe's No. 9 takes it right off with no damage.

Pig Lube! How interesting! I'll be looking for it.

I just don't buy all this marketing about "nano" particales and super duper lubes manufactured by elves from a far, far away galaxy, and brought here by secret space ships.

Just me, old age maybe, never saw a rusted out cast iron block, which was lubed with quality motor oil. Just my 2 cents.

Case in point: Lucas lube $54 bucks a quart, M-Pro 7 $80 bucks a quart, Frog Lube $144 bucks a quart, Pig Lube $831 bucks a quart.

Boolit Buddy
    I don't have that many firearms that I have to buy my lube in quarts
    Must be nice. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by XDROB View Post
    Must be nice. LOL

That it is, I suppose.

How does the old saying goes, A penny saved is a penny earned!

Boolit Buddy
    Yah, I get it.

Quote Originally Posted by jcwit View Post
    I just don't buy all this marketing about "nano" particales and super duper lubes manufactured by elves from a far, far away galaxy, and brought here by secret space ships.

Just me, old age maybe, never saw a rusted out cast iron block, which was lubed with quality motor oil. Just my 2 cents.

Case in point: Lucas lube $54 bucks a quart, M-Pro 7 $80 bucks a quart, Frog Lube $144 bucks a quart, Pig Lube $831 bucks a quart.
    Wow! No kidding? $831 a quart? I guess I'll stick with the Rem Oil and leave the other for squeaky pigs. But, I mean really --- you don't believe in the space ships and the nano elves?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by XDROB View Post
    Must be nice. LOL

I buy Ballistol by the gallon. It's not cheap either. Last time I bought it the cost was around $80. But I use it on a lot of things. All my tools are wiped down w/ it. I use more for this purpose than for firearms.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast