RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackbox
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rem Oil

Boolit Master

Rem Oil

I pulled my varmint rifles out of the safe after sitting in there all winter for a sage rat hunt.
    I had put a light coat of Rem Oil on them before storing them for the winter.
    I saw what I thought was rust on the bare metal, but found out it was the Rem Oil that had turned to a rusty-yellow colored sludge.
    Anyone else ran into this?
    What are you people using as a lube/long term rust preventive?
    I am the lazy sort and prefer something in a spray can....dale

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Haven't run into this. Been using Rem Oil for a long time.
    It's all I use for my safe storage oil. Can't say how it behaves in all environments.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Banned
    Everyone has their favorites when it comes to gun care products. You're going to get a phone book's worth of replies but here goes:

For long term storage of ferrous metal items I care about, RIG is still my top choice. A little goes a long way.
    My "all around gun lube" is Clenzoil. It's a bit of a regional thing so you may have to order it. It's never let me down and it has completely replaced Breakree on my cleaning bench.
    In some situations involving shearing type forces (think sears) Lubriplate is a good light grease.
    For cleaning duty that doesn't involve copper fouling, Kroil is my go-to product.
    For cleaning that does involve copper fouling, good Ol' Hoppes #9 is still the choice for me.

I've never been real impressed with Rem Oil and it does seem to harden with age.

Those are my recommendations, I'm sure you'll get another 100 or so more .

Good Luck

Banned

I have a few different products. But keep going back to Ballistol. Never gums up. Original CLP. Like the WipeOut line for cleaning the bore.

Boolit Grand Master
    I use Barricade after using the gun. Probably not the greatest for long term storage. I think Brownels sells a product used for long term storage of guns in collections and museums. Do a search
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    I have been using Froglube for about two years now. And have been very pleased with it. I pulled a couple of my pistols out of the safe the other day. Have not used these two for awhile.
    Both of them where still very clean. One was a litte stiff. I realized I had over done the application of the Froglube. Field stripped, wiped down and good as new.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

It does this on the inside sometimes too, the same as sperm oil use to do. It does protect the metal even when dried to yellow goo. I still go with a light coat og RIG for storage. We never had this problem when all we had was a 22 and a shotgun and used them all year long...see what affluence brings.

Perma-Banned
    I have been using this particular Rem Oil and am VERY impressed with it! My muzzleloaders that have been stored for over a year look brand new, no signs of rust whatsoever. I think this is a newer stuff? Totally different than the Rem oil in the Aerosol Can

Remington's MoistureGuard VCI/Blend is the most scientifically advanced formula for protecting and lubricating metal surfaces and equipment from rust and corrosion. Our special Volatile Corrosion Inhibitor (VCI) provides the ultimate protection from the harshest of elements. Our formula is able to penetrate into the smallest cracks and crevices while our vapor technology blends with moisture and oxygen to stop rust and corrosion in its tracks. Our formula is designed for long term protection and should be the last application prior to storing any metal gear or equipment.

Attachment 190425

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Mobil 1 and RIG.

Lucas Red grease on the slides of autos
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Grand Master

Rem Oil

All I use is Ballistol. But I routinely maintain my firearms. And they're all stored in safes w/ humidity control. For long term storage you want to use a product like RIG. I like to keep them in shooting condition so they are pulled out once a year a given a once over w/ Ballistol. I apply it a little thick on the guns I don't shoot often.

Here is the SDS for Ballistol: http://www.ballistol.com/wp-content/...S_TECH_BIO.pdf

When looking at other gun care products you will see lots of chemicals that are hazardous.

Boolit Master
    Hi...

I have been using Rem Oil for years with no complaints.
    I clean the bores and cylinder charging holes with Hoppes #9 and Shooter's Choice Lead Remover when needed.
    I spray them down with Gun Scrubber and wipe them down with a Rem Oil wipe.

Most of my handguns get stored in either a pistol rug or a foam lined case. Rifles and shotguns are either stored in a locking gun cabinet or a locked long gun case.

Never had an issue with rust.

Moderator Emeritus

I use G96.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I've used RemOil for a long time and have never had an issue with it. If I'm out of it, I use WD-40.

You're in Oregon I take it? I don't store in a gun safe and don't have one but I put mine in cases and make sure that they are where there is not going to be a wide temperature change and humidity/sweaing issues. You indicate that you think it is the RemOil itself and that's a good thing since it isn't your metal rusting. I'm flying by the seat of my pants but is there any possibility that where you have your safe you may have a humidity problem? if so, you my want to investigate ways to keep the humidity down in the safe as I'm sure there are products out there for that purpose.

And . . . how did your sage rat hunt go? Successful?

Boolit Master
    Mobile1/atf 50/50 mix.

Boolit Buddy
    Try CLP Collector for long term. I do not use a lot of Rem Oil anymore. I think it has an ingredient in it that makes things gum up and get sticky after a while, maybe lanolin but not entirely sure. Could be the same thing that made the rusty yellow. Hoppes elite is a lot better than #9 but the great smell is missing.

Boolit Buddy
    Been a fan of Rem oil for awhile. Always thought it was a good product. Then one day recently found two of my rifles in the safe with rust of them. After reading this review I tossed my Rem oil in the garbage and will never use it again.
    http://www.dayattherange.com/?page_id=3667

Boolit Bub
    Had a squeaky hinge on the bathroom door. Sprayed it with a little Rem Oil and now all I have to do is touch it and the door slams.

Perma-Banned

NO...Rem oil for me.

Banned

G96 here also.
    I use a ton of their stuff including their synthetic oil for slides and stuff.

I will also use Birchwood Casey's sheath if I'm going out in the wet weather and haven't oiled the gun down for a while it seems to bead off the water better.
    they both come in spray cans.

on the wood I use regular ol furniture polish something like pledge works well.
    but the G96 will also put a nice shiny coat on the wood without hurting it.

Boolit Master
    All I have used for the last 30++ years is Johnson's Paste Wax on the exterior and Ed's Red inside.
    R.D.M.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast