RepackboxWidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: Think i found my 357 carbine load

Boolit Buddy

Think i found my 357 carbine load

Rossi Puma, older one, with 16" barrel. Loaded it today with 12.5 grains of 2400, cci small pistol magnum primers, Lee 358 158 wheel weight bullets, water dropped straight from the mold, tumble lubed in Alox. Seems to shoot with authority, very accurate, no leading. Havent shot at 100 yards yet but at 50 groups tight. Might be my all around deer, grouse, snowshoe rabbit, black bear, coyote, Adirondack hunting carbine. Thoughts? Thanks, Craig.

I would get started trying it out! I'd hunt close with that anytime.
    Best, Thomas.

I'm A Honcho!
    12.5 will work all the way up to 185 grains. FYI.

Boolit Master

Been using 12 grains of 2400 and a 180 WFN for years. Clocks at 1470 out of a Marlin or Ruger carbine. Works a treat to 125 yards on deer.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master

Do you really need a mag primer. Thought 2400 lit off with a standard primer.

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Greg S View Post
    Do you really need a mag primer. Thought 2400 lit off with a standard primer.
    No...mag primer is not necessary.

I'm A Honcho!
    But the mag primer is going to burn cleaner. When I'm using magnum primers...11.5 does best with the 180s.

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bluejay75 View Post
    But the mag primer is going to burn cleaner. When I'm using magnum primers...11.5 does best with the 180s.
    Makes almost no difference in clean burn.

Boolit Master
    My Rossi had a ftf several times and lit them off on the second hit with magnum primers. Dedicated loads for it will have Federal primers from now on.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you are uninformed. If you do, you are misinformed.
    - Mark Twain

When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade without further introduction.
    - Mark Twain

I'm A Honcho!
    Quote Originally Posted by shoot-n-lead View Post
    Makes almost no difference in clean burn.
    SNL,

Some of my rifles shoot against freebore (Handi Rifles) those are the only guns that I notice a difference in. So more crimp, more powder, magnum primer solves some of that problem.

JB

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Poygan View Post
    My Rossi had a ftf several times and lit them off on the second hit with magnum primers. Dedicated loads for it will have Federal primers from now on.
    My Rossi 45, picked up used, would normally take a second hammer strike to set off the primer on the first range trip. Got home, took it apart and found the firing pin was so gunked up I couldn't move it by hand. Worked beautifully after a good cleaning.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia