Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionRepackboxLoad DataWideners
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Books on swaging

Boolit Buddy

Books on swaging

looks like another mega money saving adventure, I know almost nothing about other that using spent brass for jackets of bullets.
    Who makes a good book about swaging to get me started on atleast understand what you guys are talking about and what it takes to make them.
    Thank you all for the wealth of information around here.

Boolit Master

Welcome to the Forum. Try the following links, may be of help to you.

Some general descriptions at this link:
    http://www.corbins.com/howto.htm

Some good reference books available here:
    http://www.corbins.com/books.htm

Some good online reading here, you may want to copy and paste in pdf or word to create a book you can read when you want:
    https://rceco.com/mn.asp?pg=rbsbook
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Man
    Down load Dave Corbin's Handbook #9 <http://www.swage.com/ebooks.htm> . It's free and has a ton of information in it. The only thing better (IF you can find one) is Dave's Discovering Swaging. That is a hard back book that has been out of print for many years, and often goes for a hundred bucks, but it is almost priceless in its information. I was lucky enough to get one for $60 last fall.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by kc3ak View Post
    Down load Dave Corbin's Handbook #9 <http://www.swage.com/ebooks.htm> . It's free and has a ton of information in it. The only thing better (IF you can find one) is Dave's Discovering Swaging. That is a hard back book that has been out of print for many years, and often goes for a hundred bucks, but it is almost priceless in its information. I was lucky enough to get one for $60 last fall.
    Did not know that my copy was that valuable. Wow.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you all, had no idea where to start I searched around for a while and was lost

Boolit Master

In Remembrance

Welcome, Adam.

Want some great reading? Try reading this area of this forum.
    Sure, it will be time consuming. BUT............ This is the best source for the type of swaging that you asked about. (Using fired cases for jackets)

Lots of info on that specific subject here. The Corbin books discuss swaging in a general way (yes, lots of specifics, but being a self serving resource, it mostly all relates to BUYING jackets, and then turning them into bullets using Corbin equipment and tools.) Point is, that there are lots of other ways to do this. I've never bought a jacket, and yet have made thousands and thousands of swaged bullets using the fired case method.

So, while reading through all this information on this forum may be tedious (everyone wants the "Cliff Notes" version), the information here is exactly what you need. Start with the STICKIES section first.

Then, you have to ask yourself:
    "What is the purpose of my interest?"

Examples:
    High precision international long distance rifle shooting competitions?
    Good quality plinking bullets, and I'm not concerned with cost?
    Virtually free bullets, and I want the cost to be absolutely minimized?

If your goal is more like the last question, then my suggestion for becoming immersed in the materials and information in this forum is spot on.
    Next question to ask yourself:
    "What sizes of bullets am I interested in?"

Pistol?
    Rifle?

Next question:
    "How much am I willing to spend on tools?" or "I have lathe experience, and want to make my own tools?"

I have no machining abilities, and was wanting to spend the lowest amount of $$$ I could on quality tools (didn't want to get ripped off - there has been plenty of that here in the past, all the fakers have all but been run off), and wanted to avoid BUYING jackets.

I wanted to make:
    9mm bullets, .40 S&W bullets, 44 magnum bullets, 45 acp bullets, 500 S&W Magnum bullets, .224" 55 grain bullets, .308" 150 gr and 168 gr bullets.

I went with BT Sniper's tools, which were high quality, and reasonably priced. He's here for the long haul, and has wonderful customer support. He'll provide you with tooling and the knowledge you need for using it. MOST of his tools are made for using fired cases as the donor jackets.

Yes, there are other places to buy similar tooling, but buy ONLY from a reputable company, one that's around for the long haul.

The basic tooling and press will be expensive. No way around that. Avoid the cheap guys who make promises, and will only cheat you of your money.

Here's the guy I like and would recommend:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...?114-BT-Sniper

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks duke, I have been reading stickers and pages back in forum. There is lots of information to absorb its sinking in, when I buy it will be quailty equipment and I understand it it's expensive.

I know it's not a money saving anything, it is another extension of a hobby and I enjoy learning
    Adam

In Remembrance

Actually, depending on how many bullets you make, it CAN be a money saver!
    I have certainly made enough bullets in all of the sizes that I have tools for, to MORE THAN pay for the investment.
    Especially now that I also have Pee Wee and one other guy also contributing to the making and shooting of the bullets. Tens of thousands of bullets total qty so far, and still making more every week.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam20 View Post
    Thanks duke,

I know it's not a money saving anything, it is another extension of a hobby and I enjoy learning
    Adam

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Master
    GONRA hasa Corbin CSP-2 Mega-Mite ™ purchased looong ago.
    Used it for zillions of "heavy press" .50 BMG case prep projects over the years.....
    (Remember - for me - this is an Experiment Pointless Retired Man Project Tool.)

Just started using it AS INTENDED - for Boolit Swaging.
    Sofar - OBVIOUSLY havalot to learn!
    Last edited by GONRA; 03-22-2017 at 05:50 PM.