Reloading EverythingLoad DataWidenersLee Precision
RepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 308 win in 1895 Chileno??

4 pages later I still respect both of you for your vast knowledge. Let's just enjoy our old SR Mausers with sensible loads.
    Best, Thomas.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by CHeatermk3 View Post
    I have about 250 ea. Privi 174gn FMJBT bullets I bought to try to scrub the barrel of Chileno #1; what do you think of those loaded over 41-42.5 gns of AA2700? BTW I have a virgin keg of IMR4895 on hand too...
    I've not worked with AA2700 but given it's burning rate it should do well with those 174s. Looking at Lyman's 49th Edition Reloading Manual you should be able to push them to 2200 - 2300 fps and maintain reasonable pressures in that load range. That IMR4895 should be a good powder for 130 - 140 gr bullets, it is for me with 120 - 130 gr. Should be able to push 2700 +/-. I've been testing some cast bullets with 4895, of course at much less velocity and pressure. The original powders used in the 7x57 with the 172 RMFMJs had burning rates similar in the 3031 - 4895 range. That Rem-UMC I tested had Hercules Lightening #1 powder in it......that goes back a ways......

Larry Gibson
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 03-23-2017 at 10:54 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry41 View Post
    Larry you and your facts and data, when has that gotten anybody anywhere?
    This may answer your question.......

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Gibson-is-back

Boolit Master

I hope that you were just joking Tackleberry as that comment really doesn't sound like you. If it was just a humorous post, then please excuse the following comment. If not, well...

I'm certainly wiser for it. If it's an overload of important and esoteric technical data that applies to our hobby, just ignore it. I'm pretty sure that reviewing all sides of an argument is good for us all. As with a lot of things in life that offend you, you'll be happier if you ignore it. If you can't add anything applicable or important other than some veiled negative comment, why post? It costs nothing to be courteous.
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 03-23-2017 at 10:25 PM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master
    I was joking same as the other times, they really need some sort of sarcasm font. Larry threw out a whole pile of data, stuff hard to argue with, well for most people anyways.

I wish I had the capability of measuring pressure. All I can do is go off whats in books, that varies wildly by who prints it. I went with a mild win 748 150gr SP load using some military brass I had. Then worked up a good 200gr cast load, and the other day a subsonic load. I swore it would be a zero dollar rifle, no scopes, no triggers, just shoot it as is. I did modify a williams sight to fit in the existing rear sight, so now it has a peep, which is a 1000% improvement over the original. The sight was in my parts bin. And I stuck it in the lathe to thread the barrel, give it a nice crown. I might break down and buy a recoil pad to fit to it soon, that metal one aint a whole lot of fun with full power loads.

Boolit Master

I was joking same as the other times, they really need some sort of sarcasm font. Larry threw out a whole pile of data, stuff hard to argue with, well for most people anyways.
    Well I certainly misinterpreted your humor! Sorry about that. You are right, it is hard to ascertain humor in a thread when you're not able to read body language. I often just put a smiley face after a joking remark. I thought that there was an emotcon of a hand pulling a chain somewhere in the menue, but I can't seem to find in right now.

Ah, here it is. You can find it on the right side of the page after clicking on the "Go Advance" button.
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 03-24-2017 at 11:43 AM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345