Reloading EverythingWidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: Lee Machine pistol rest info

Boolit Master

Lee Machine pistol rest info

Recently looking at E bay and spotted something I wanted to buy back in the 70's and never got around to it:

A Lee / Mequon machine pistol rest not as expensive as the Ransom it looked like it might be fun to play around with so I bought it!

The unit comes with the S&W mount which is supposed to fit K frame and larger revolvers.

What I am hoping is someone here has the instructions for this tool and maybe a few of the inserts they may no longer need, I do plan to put an add in wanted section of swap and sell, but if anyone has one or more of these items I can certainly pay or supply an E mail address for a scan of any literature for the pistol rest.

I realize that this was not the Lee Precision that is still in business today and they closed the doors sometime in the 70's or early 80's so sourcing the information from the maker is out of the question.

I'll have it in hand on Monday and looks like I'll have some fun with it at my next shoot.

Thanks in advance for any help given!

HM

It's pretty straight forward.

Mount rest base to a board. Clamp board to your shooting table. Take your grips off. Bolt the grip adapter on. Bolt the grip adapter to the rest. Adjust windage and elevation adjustments on base to put sights on target. Load gun and shoot. Repeat with additional shots to form group on target.

The key is to have firm mounting for the machine rest base and to hold the gun with the same grip tension from shot to shot.

They work pretty good for what they are. To keep the grip mount from swiveling on the bracket, you might want to put a piece of inner tube or friction tape or something between the mating surfaces.

Oh, forgot to mention... Don't strip out the threads in the aluminum parts. Might want to coat the threads with anti-seze or some kind of lube to protect them from galling.

Boolit Master
    Figured I'd run this thing down when it arrived, might or might not get some response for Grip adapters have some ideas on modifying Mags to fit the rest as the Lee ones were supposedly single shot deals.

We'll see when it arrives, still looking for any Literature that may be lurking on the site.

Yes, the autoloaders were reduced to single load. Modifying magazines to work would probably be ok, depending upon the strength of the magazines baseplate.

Boolit Master
    Actually I have a Metal form mag missing the base plate in 45 ACP Figure a small steel insert pined in place then fitted to the mag well and drill and tapped with the machine bolt pattern ought to work well, may do the same for the HP and my Taurus PT 99 not sure I want to scrap a 50 buck mag for my Model 52, LOL!

In Remembrance

Believe I still have one new in the box around my casting barn somewhere. My brother bought it to test loads in his Gold Cup 1911 .45 acp. He bought the insert you needed to use it, will have to look around for that. At the time I even thought it was a neat idea, but I made sand bags from canvas shot bags for alot less and you could use them with a rifle.Robert

Boolit Master
    could be interested, let me know what you find via PM

I remember when I was a kid. I used the Ruger Blackhawk grip adapter for a Colt Frontier Scout. Wrapped the Colt grip frame in a piece of inner tube. Worked well enough since there was no recoil involved. BTW, that old Colt would cluster 5 shots that you could cover with a dime shooting standard Winchester Super-X Long Rifle's in that rest.

Boolit Master
    OK so the Lee Pistol rest showed up at my office this afternoon, upon opening it I realize it has hardly been used!

No instructions but it came in the original box with the correct card board cutouts to keep it from shifting in transit!

Box addressed to a Gander Mountain store and marked Lee Loader kinda glad the seller sent it along, give me a place to keep it, LOL!

I'll need to get some nice 3/4 inch plywood to mount it on and then try out my new 296/accurate boolits 43-240G WFN load and see what it shoots like!

Stay tuned!

HM

Boolit Master

Pictures????

Boolit Master
    I have used a Lee pistol machine rest for years.I bought mine when they were still making them.What I have found over the years is that a pistol that is set up to be scoped I can get just as good groups using a Otters Pistol perch as the machine rest.

Now if the gun can not be scoped for some reason then the Lee machine rest is very useful.

je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    Gentleman thank you for the photos and the link, sorry i can't post pic's of mine just can't seem to get it done if it's more complicated than click and drag.

Perma-Banned A.K.A Castmast

Boolit Master
    rundown bear PM on the way for Lee pistol rest grip adaptors I'll take them!