RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
Reloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Wideners
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Advice needed: Dealing with feral & stray dogs

In Remembrance

My home town had an extreme dog problem in the early 50's to the point that packs were taking down cattle and anything else they found. Hunting party's were organized and a bounty was placed on dogs without a collar of $1 each. In a short while the problem was eliminated.
    In the sixties my friends and I were buying 22 ammo at the hardware store when a farmer asked us to hunt feral dogs at the city dump. There was a large pack of 50-60 dogs and they were killing his young hogs. We went there and killed most of them. Some were aggressive and attacked when wounded. Sort of dangerous game hunting. One guy had a single shot and was being pursued by a wounded dog. He was begging for help as he ran. I took it out with a shot to the head.

Boolit Master

We don't have issues with feral dogs up here. I had never even heard of such a thing until I moved to Iowa in the 90's.

If our harsh winters don't kill strays off, then the coyotes and wolves will.

I remember when I lived in AZ, there was a story about feral packs of Chihuahuas taking over communities. People were dumping them like crazy during the housing crash in '07 and `08.

The thought of city people being terrorized by packs of wild chihuahuas made me laugh out loud...

Boolit Master

Found the Chihuahua story...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...HIHUAHUAS.html

They may be small and cute, but packs of stray Chihuahuas have been wreaking havoc on the streets of Phoenix, Arizona.

Maricopa County Animal Care and Control says last year alone it received 6,000 calls from the Maryvale section of Phoenix about abandoned Chihuahuas roaming the streets in the neighborhood and scaring children.

‘We compared the number of calls we got in 2013 from that area to similar areas in town and the calls from Maryvale were three times higher than surrounding areas,’ said Melissa Gable with MCACC. ‘Part of it is these animals aren’t spayed or neutered, so they’re out looking for a mate and are having babies, which also contributes to the problem.’

Attachment 190389

Boolit Master

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by C. Latch View Post
    I grew up in a very rural area and still live in a fairly rural area. I have literally decades of experience in this area, and all you need to know is this:

In the day and age that we live in, nothing good can come from discussing this in public. You know what needs to be done; you know when it can be overlooked and when it absolutely must be dealt with, and you know the various ways that such problems can be dealt with.

You don't need a discussion here.
    Right here! ^^^

Boolit Master
    I have that problem here. There's been 3 running wild, now only 2. I use a 40 gr solid 22 lr.

Growing up if there was a stray we did not recognize on our property it was the 3 S's for sure.

But we knew every yard dog within 5 miles and most of the house dogs.

As I started hunting I started seeing dogs doing things dogs should not do, like chasing deer.

Dogs on their own land got a pass, dogs down in the woods along the river following a deer trail got a bullet.

But it was a simpler time.

I suspect was I in your situation I would have some kind of gun in my vehicle.

If it was not on my property I might shoot to miss.
    Then again, I might not. Would depend on situation and temperment.

I have seen dogs pack up, feral dogs, dogs that have gone to the wild have little fear of man.
    They will attack, kill and eat if it suits them.

My dad and I got chased out of a woods once while bowhunting by such a pack. We walked backwards with arrows nocked and knives loose in the sheath. Then by the sound of it they made their kill and we took the chance and skeddadled out of there.

Shotgun and rock salt may be best bet for those on the road. Just move em on along.

In Remembrance
    Grew up in farm and ranch country, no problem with dog packs, as individual dogs didn't live long enough to pack up.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DLCTEX View Post
    Many years ago a lady in a rural area had a problem with a large pack of dogs coming on her property and killing her cats and/or eating the cats food. She mixed some antifreeze with the cat food for a few days while keeping the cats inside. Within a week she had cleansed the neighborhood of a serious problem. A drastic solution, but she was at her wits end.
    Dogs killing cats?

Hell, I would give the dogs a *reward*.

Boolit Master

Back on the ranch, we would have problems with dogs sometimes attacking a cow who was giving birth. As such, any dog that was sniffing around got a bit of added lead. I like dogs, but when they are wild and killing your livelihood, they are fair game. Bury 'em? Not likely... They rotted where they fell. It was a large enough piece of land that no one was going to smell their rotting corpses unless they were trespassing so far onto our land that they were in danger of being shot also.

The reason the dog chased you is because you *ran*. You run, then that tells them that you are prey and that they should chase you. Instead of running, you should have been aggressive towards the dogs and made them back down from you. If you do have a truly aggressive dog, he will bite the first thing that is presented to him and as such, if you're not wanting to have to kill him, carrying a walking stick and presenting it first will cause him to bite it first. Hell, I've even used that technique on a gator that was in my BIL's backyard that I didn't think was worth killing. He latched onto the stick and I then led him out the back gate towards the levee and the river.

I'm too old and crippled up to try running from a dog that might want to attack me, so I figure I need to handle the situation. If necessary, I will shoot the dog, but that would be my last resort. I can cause him a lot of pain without having to resort to using my gun.
    Last edited by NavyVet1959; 03-13-2017 at 12:46 AM.

Banned
    I knew of a family who owned a large area of land back in the 70's when snow mobiles first became popular. They invented a sport. Feral dog hunting on snowmobiles. I don't think it was even illegal to shoot of a moving snowmobile at the time. There were many packs of feral dogs in their (mine also) area of about maybe 5 miles square so 25 sq miles. They also cleaned up a pretty sizeable coyote population. No one was anything but grateful. Feral dogs for all practical purposes are larger meaner coyotes. Nothing good about them. I wouldn't even bury them unless they were close to my house and stunk up the place.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Plate plinker View Post
    Shoot Shovel and Shut up. This from a childhood bite victim. We lived on a dead end.
    The only final and best solution! The most important of the 3S's is the third one! I can't stress that enough, never mention it to anyone ever, hunting buddies, nope, neighbor, nope, online forum nope! Never!

Boolit Mold
    Nope never saw that dog.....

Sent from my LG-K330 using Tapatalk

One thing is don't run from them that triggers their chase instinct. That makes them feel stronger than you. Think like a pack animal and instead bare your teeth and growl back while staring them down like a stronger animal would.

I was a bite victim as a kid, got over that working with dogs in Law enforcement.

In the long run if you don't have some agency to collect them then shooting them is a option. I would reserve that for last recourse though.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Banned
    I live in California so I am used to the silliness here but when I started dealing with the feral cat population around my house it was strange for sure. I had a yellow Lab that was my best buddy for 15 years and 4 months.

Near the end he was weak and slow and couldn't defend himself. A loose cat scratched his muzzle pretty bad and it got infected. I was angry of course and set about dealing with it the way I always had. But my wife reminded me that we had a lot more neighbors now than we used to so I decided to do it by the regs.

I got out my old live trap and caught him the first night. He was a jet black cat and HUGE. He was fighting the cage so I covered him with a towel.

I took him to animal control and even they said "Man that's a big cat!" They then asked me if I wanted to him him "returned to his natural habitat".

I said, "He's a feral cat, they don't have a natural habitat". They told me that normally, they neuter/spay the cat and return him to your yard. I told them no thanks.

I will say that all over my county there are signs warning that loose dogs threatening livestock can be shot. One advantage to living with an influx of yuppies is that they don't want their show horses attacked by some meth head's loose mongrel.

Here in my county animal control only works a few days a week and they won't respond to a call unless someone has actually been attacked.

Boolit Master

Tons of advise about your problem so won't add to that but turning and running is the worst thing possible to do, that is what triggers their 'chase response.' Best to carefully and calmly walking away.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

In Remembrance
    Heck a registered lizard would chase you into the house if you run from it. lol

I had to laugh one time. I was staying in a campground on a little lake at Orange Texas. The campground manager had chickens, ducks, guinees and geese.
    The geese would spread and flap their wings while running at you squawking something fierce, but would stop and about face if you stood your ground.
    One morning a man, his wife and son from Pa carried their breakfast out to a picnic table beside the lake, the geese came just a charging like they were going to attack, so they ran leaving their breakfast.
    The geese jumped up on the picnic table and made short work out of their eggs and sausage, then wandered off. The folks came back with 3 more plates and the geese came charging back. The woman and son ran back to their camper, but the guy had brought a baseball bat and jumped up on the table to defend his eggs. I about busted a gut, but did go shoo the geese away for them.
    Last edited by starmac; 03-13-2017 at 01:59 AM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bzcraig View Post
    Tons of advise about your problem so won't add to that but turning and running is the worst thing possible to do, that is what triggers their 'chase response.' Best to carefully and calmly walking away.
    Agreed, running away if probably the worst solution. Back when I was more into cycling, there would be some dogs that would really like to chase you. Since we're on flat land around here, it's easy enough to keep ahead of most dogs without really breaking a sweat. I would usually slow down to the point where the dog could get close so that he would think he could catch me. I would keep this up until he couldn't run any further. At which point, he's so far from where he started, he's lucky to find his way back. On foot though, a dog is fast enough to easily catch a human. There are many dogs though that can run faster that you can peddle, but they often don't have the endurance to keep it up. The really fast breeds don't tend to be threats to humans anyway. But, if they got too aggressive, that's what the bike pumps were for back then.

Boolit Master
    Three years since I was taking my daughters elderly Jack Russel Eddie for his daily walk.Approaching us was a bloke with a Husky type Dog,it immediately attacked Eddie by bitting his Back then got him by the Throat.When Blood started to show I Attempted to pull the larger dog off.The more I pulled the more he bit so I had no alternative but to Hit out with my Applewood Stick which broke across the dogs back.I was reduced to Stabbing the Dog with the Jagged end of the Stick until it gave up.If this had not worked my next thought was to Knife the dog that never came to pass.At no time did the big dogs owner try to stop the attack I explained to him that he was close to Hospitalisation at that point and in return for his safety I needed his address.He gave it to me but never honoured the Large vetinary Bill for Eddies treatment.Eddie was never the same after the event,the wind had gone out of his Sails and he died a few months later.

Boolit Buddy
    Good evening, Thanks for starting this. Hmmmmm call 911 and it's 20 plus minutes for them to show up for a human....don't want to think about how long animal control would take.....and they would probably charge $$$ YOU $$$ for the call out.
    I have spent the majority of my life in a rural setting. My parents had a 1400 acre farm and my wife had a 80 acre horse set up with 20 brood mares when we met. Others have stated here that animals and feral dogs don't mix. Try $15,000 mares and $50,000 studs that create big $$$ foals. Used to get the guy that hauled gravel in the yard to dig a large pit every spring and fill in last years. Because we lived 10 miles from a large city on a major highway, we had continuous pit fill dropped along the highway. I asked why people drop their animals off instead of taking them to be put down? The local bylaw guy said "well, the animal clinics make them feel like criminals and talk them into keeping their unwanted pet, of course, the $250.00 shot with disposal fees helps. Costs nothing to drop them off and now we or you have to deal with it" Just another example of a "throw away society"

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast