Thread: Advice needed: Dealing with feral & stray dogs

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	22.0 KB 
ID:	191019
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    yup and there at work claiming that your paid to basically goof off at your job too. totally bs argument!!!!!!!!! Funny how a couple of you together here have experienced more dog attacks then ive seen in the local papers in my whole life. I think if a dog barks at some of you you pee your pants.
    LLoyd.... I don't have to worry about someone blaming me for goofing off. I'm retired after 40 years chasing drilling rigs. I was never so accused. As far as seeing dog attacks, yup, I've seen more than my share... been handling big working dogs for a LOT of years... learned to walk hanging on to pointer collars (no real problem there)... first full-on attack I witnessed was one of the AF guard dogs going into a local national outside a bomb warehouse/dump in sunny south east asia. Dog was one of the AF GSD's that probably weighed in excess of 130lbs. About 40lbs more than the local national. More than 200 stitches but she lived. Next one came from a 'food guarder' dobie that nailed a kid. Similar results. I love... and respect... big working dogs. Lost my rottie recently to cancer and down to just one dobe at the present. I do NOT respect anyone that mistreats animals. I do NOT respect anyone that won't do their job... especially when it is to protect the public. I do NOT respect anyone who carelessly and snarkily attacks another poster for merely stating his beliefs. My biggest problem was not with the Chow... it was with the owner. I was prepared to kill the dog if it attacked but I intended to use the dead dog to discipline the owner. I will not allow someone or someTHING to attack me on my property to go unpunished. Maybe it's a flaw in my character.

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    When Becky was 6 years old , it was winter , still dark when the school bus came . I had her lunch box made and she was standing at the road at the end of the gravel drive waiting for the school bus .

Neighbor down the road had a mean big red dog and two black labs . Everyone was scared of the red dog and the labs followed and backed him up . I was watching Becky wait for the bus front door , the three dogs come up when the bus got there . Red dog was in a stance growling , Becky ran back down the drive and fell down , I was already running to her . I ran at the dogs and backed em off . Carried in the house . Bus driver had seen the dogs and got off the bus to help her but I got to her first . She was cut up from the gravel , calmed her down as I put bandaids on the cuts . Driver waited (dang good man) and I got her on the bus .

Walked down to the dog owners place , pile of bricks and brick bats by the driveway . Threw a brick bat through the living room window . He came out on the porch in his underwear . I had a talk (he said nothing) and told him to keep his dogs up . I'll not repeat what I said but the chain link fence folks started putting up a fence the next evening .
    No turning back , No turning back !

Boolit Bub
    owners who let dogs run free should not pitch when dog gets shot
    somebody here needs a rabies vaccine , bit too much advocating of human shooting

Banned
    I have been in a situation where 2 Rottweiler's that belonged to a neighbor (a guy that moved to a rental house in the country from the city) had treed another neighbor in his combine one night, went after a bow hunter walking out to his truck and the last straw went after an elderly man going to the barn. I went to the owner and told him he needed to keep his dogs at home and he pretty much told me to GFMS. I shot both of them the next day at the back of a 240 acre section after they came at me. I live in the country 5 miles off the paved road and a half mile off the dead end 15 miles from a small rural town and the animals that get dropped off by the town folks varies. My county normally has one deputy on duty and response time is usually an hour. If a dog is aggressive, going after my animals, is sick and not acting normal I will shoot it. End of story

Boolit Master

Raised on a small farm,100+ cows,40+ pigs, 1100+ chickens, raised corn,wheat,hay, everything we ate. Our collies would bring the milk cows in when milking time was near and leave the Angus out . Loved them dogs - they had the run of a few hundred acres, never tied up. Subdivision came in. New neighbors let dogs run free. Dogs started packing up, chasing calves/piglets. Some new neighbors dogs disappeared . What a mystery ! No malice intended toward neighbor or dog, but you do what needs doing.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Chows are nasty and vicious.
    I've owned 3 over the years. For the most part, they were just *indifferent*. They were too lazy to get worked up when the lawn service, pool service, or even electric and gas meter readers came by. They would kill armadillos or snakes that made it into the backyard though. They *hated* the water.

Boolit Master
    .................................................. .......

I look at my own little pup at my feet and wonder HOW some of you can be so quick to condemn a dog just because its on your property.

Was at the buddys house the other day. He has horses and cows in the pasture and we had a ball watching his dog and my pup out there playing with them. Be pretty easy to walk up on it some morning and think those dogs were attacking the other animals when in fact it was far from the truth.

this aint my first rodeo.........................
    Where to even begin?

Do you think your dog knows the difference between your "sanctioned play" and proper behavior when it's roaming away from you?

Do you think your dog knows the difference between play you are encouraging and the killing for sport on someone else's door step?

Do you think that your dog has an appropriate line drawn between this thing you call "play" and destructive behavior?

Yet, when there is a discussion about problems with destructive dogs you resort to issuing serious threats to anyone that would harm your dog.

Three 44s
    Last edited by Three44s; 03-19-2017 at 03:32 AM.

Banned

seems were getting more examples of owned dogs attacking people then feral dogs. these post do nothing validate my opinion that its not the dogs fault its the owners. As to my dog knowing the difference. He sure does. My dogs are raised to be gentle. If you broke into my house the last lab I had would grab you by the shirt sleave and drag you over to the treat box. There wasn't a mean bone in his body and the worse thing the labs Ive owned would do is maybe bark at strangers and to be honest that was only one of them and even he wouldn't hurt a fly. My point is that no one here is qualified to take one look at a dog and decide its a dangerous feral dog and not some neighbors kids pet. Funny thing is that some here will think its ok to kill and even torture a animal but I'm the bad guy because id like to kick there @@@. Sorry but its me that doesn't know where to begin. Dogs aren't born bad. Not even a rot, german shepard, pit bull or any breed. they are made to be mean or allowed to become mean by humans. I know theres feral dogs and dangerous dogs. Just because we don't have them around here doenst mean they don't exist. But I do have a problem believing that if some kid or even adult actually got hurt by one of them that your local and state officials wouldn't have eliminated the problem. Just for liability. If a neighbor kid got attacked by me and they did nothing and a month later my grandkid got attacked id be visiting a lawyer and I'm sure those municipality's around you if nothing else realize the legal mess that would be involved if they didn't.

As to stereotyping dog catchers as being lazy. that's bs and everyone here knows it. There are no more lazy dog catchers then there are lazy teachers, pipe fitters, carpenters, miners or any other profession and id bet theyd take exception to you calling them that just like you would if someone said everyone in your profession is lazy or doesn't do there job. Like ive said over and over its the few lazy dog owners that cause this problem not the dogs. Guys who get a dog and find out its work so kick them out the door. Those are the people you guys should be going after. THEY are the problem here not the dogs.

I'm sure glad I live in an area where my dogs are welcome. they can run free and do. They go off and visit the neighbors and the neighbors even keep treats for them. There young kids play with them. Sure glad I don't have a few of the guys on here living next to me because I can guarantee you wed tangle and my buddys don't call me bulldozer for nothing. Funny thing is all ive been proponent of here is being humane. To either let the people paid to do it decide or if you really do need to take it into your own hands you do it ethically. But some will continue to argue it and claim its there right to do anything they want to them. They think that a dog thrown out in the woods instantly becomes something that shouldn't be shone any respect what so ever. Something that can be left to die a miserable death. I guess I'm gullible. I thought most here were better then that. So if you want to continue to twist my words go for it. Ive got big shoulders and not a single one of you will ever get under my skin.

Banned

and there lies a big part of the problem. Lots are just afraid of dogs. Same ones that condone killing them. They don't even care if its a good dog or bad. If its on there property there fear drives them to kill it or worse. Many dogs will growl when they see a stanger not because there going to attack but because there more afraid then you are. These are the people that think there the judge jury and executioner. then you have the type that think they have a right to kill anything. Same ones that as kids too bb guns out and killed birds and chipmunks just for the fun of it. Thankfully I wasn't raised like that. My dad was an avid hunter and gun owner. IF he would have caught me needlessly killing an animal I would have had it shoved down my throat raw! Why? because there Gods creatures not mine.

If seeing a dog running across your yard makes you wet your pants or just looks like a target to try out a load you worked up I feel sorry for you. Your no better then the man who kicked that dog out to fend on its own. There is NO LIVING THING that ive ever had the pleasure of knowing that is more full of love then a dog. 99 percent of them are born just like that. Its people that force them to be any different. Look at that puppy in my avatar. That's what some of you are passing judgement on. that's what they all start out as before some warped human changes. Why would you not want to deal with the problem at its source? I know if we had ANY kind of a problem here that endangered my kids grandkids or even my dog id be standing on the court house steps DEMANDING the problem is taken care of. Letting them know that if they don't want to deal with it in the woods they will be dealing with it in the courts. I just don't understand how if you do have a big problem in your area the people living there don't stand up to the officials responsible or ban together to get rid of them and elect people who will. Ill tell you why I think it isn't handled like that. Its work. You have to actually spend a few hours doing it. Its much eaiser just to shoot them or put some antifreeze out there to kill them. Starmac this surely isn't aimed at you. You made a real good post. I feel I have to say that because some here think I'm talking about them when I quote there post
    Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    Some people are deathly afraid of a dog no matter the size or if it is mean or not.

A story of two guys I knew that turned out somewhat bad.
    We had a mechanic that kept his weimeramer with him all the time, if he was working at the yard it would run loose in the yard. The dog would run at everybody that pulled up and got out, barking like it was going to eat them, but just wanted petted when it got to you.
    One of our superintendients was afraid of dogs, it didn't matter ig it was poodle or chow, and told the mechanic if his dog ever chased him back into his pickup again he would kill it.
    It was just a matter of a week or so when he came to the yard and the dog was there and he shot it dead, The mechanic, who was a big boy came running at him and come very close to getting the same treatment. It took a while and there was never any love lost between them, but they did finally put it behind them.
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 03-19-2017 at 07:22 AM.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by C. Latch View Post
    all you need to know is this:

In the day and age that we live in, nothing good can come from discussing this in public. You know what needs to be done; you know when it can be overlooked and when it absolutely must be dealt with, and you know the various ways that such problems can be dealt with.

You don't need a discussion here.
    I couldn't have said it better. Let this thread die. Thanks

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=Lloyd Smale;3989496]While you looking at pictures of people mauled by dogs. take a look at pictures of dogs harmed by man. there was just a case in the news where someone cut the nose and ears off a Rottweiler and turned him loose in the wild. Another one on the national news where some tied a rope from one puppys leg to another puppys leg and threw them up over a tree limb and left them to die. These were puppys so small they weren't even weened from there mother. You don't even have to watch tv or do an internet search. Just go down to your local dog pound and talk to them about the cruelty they have seen with there own two eyes.[/QUO
    TE]

Well look at it this way. It is a substitute for the humans they would rather be doing it to, and put smilies on messages to their friends if they have any, because it is fun. Take a look at the punch line of the big joke.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethylene_glycol_poisoning

You're right about humans being at the bottom of most dog misconduct, but it isn't only by bad training and neglect. Sometimes it is by irresponsible breeding. I would be very wary of a rescue dog, even taken young, which had a few generations of being bred for illegal dog-fighting. Or even of pit bulls which had been left to do their own matchmaking, without being selected for good nature. Some of the fashionable show breeds have become neurotic or prone to endless hereditary defects through breeding for exaggerated looks at the expense of all else. There are also owners like 54bore described, who aren't abusive or in search of a canine button-man, but just don't understand canine psychology well enough to avoid the dog becoming either neurotic or the boss. Maybe they tried to convince them with logical argument, a tactic I have known to fail with species other than dogs.

A fairly reliable rule is that aggressive breeds are worse in the males than the females, and on territory than out on public property. But a neurotic dog can break all the rules. They will bite females or puppies, who are off limits for the normal. (A female, on the other hand, will bite anybody. No wonder they are called bitches.) In the UK at least a few years ago the dog which most often bit was the golden retriever, which has been mostly supplanted by the labrador as a gundog, and is bred for blonde good looks. But their victims tended to stay bitten less than some of the others.

But dog problems aren't always irreversible. Here is an account of how thousands of police dogs were successfully rehomed, and I believe the record compared well with more conventional rescue dog organisation. A lot of them were trained very much like normal police dogs. My father in law was a member of the Berlin Parliament, and Berliners, except when there was something in it for them, didn't demonise the East in the way many further afield did. What was really surprising, though, was that the dogs which were tethered to a running wire round the clock were often withdrawn, but if anything less aggressive than the others. They had spent the time bored and looking for company.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz_jnPmYcu4

We seem, as usual on this medium, to be hearing of more people masterfully dealing with dogs, than dogs get dealt with. Jack London claims that a man with a broom handle can bully a lion, which would be an interesting thing to watch from a safe distance, and that no dog is a match for a man with a club. But then, no dog is a safe match for an old man baboon either.

I grew up in a small town, the neighbors Shepard mix was kind of a bully. I was around eight or nine and he jumped and ripped the shoulder off my coat and made another leap, which got halted. I got a nice neck hold of him with my puny little forearms and got him yelping pretty good. No gun and he was good after that. His furry replacement was a great target for my Daisy and in his own yard thou. He would see the rifleman and run. I never missed. The gun was pretty weak and he was all fur, other than that fun, I would never hurt one for fun, but just a couple yrs ago, in the city, at my apt. a big, unfriendly looking Pit came trotting at me, I trotted around the corner of the house onto the stairs and small porch, and inside. He makes the corner and stands there wondering where I was. We were lucky I didn't need my pocket Beretta .22. The very diverse owners showed up trying to catch him, soon after.

Banned

so your bragging that you repeatedly shot a neighbors pet in his own back yard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How old are you?????
    Quote Originally Posted by brassrat View Post
    I grew up in a small town, the neighbors Shepard mix was kind of a bully. I was around eight or nine and he jumped and ripped the shoulder off my coat and made another leap, which got halted. I got a nice neck hold of him with my puny little forearms and got him yelping pretty good. No gun and he was good after that. His furry replacement was a great target for my Daisy and in his own yard thou. He would see the rifleman and run. I never missed. The gun was pretty weak and he was all fur, other than that fun, I would never hurt one for fun, but just a couple yrs ago, in the city, at my apt. a big, unfriendly looking Pit came trotting at me, I trotted around the corner of the house onto the stairs and small porch, and inside. He makes the corner and stands there wondering where I was. We were lucky I didn't need my pocket Beretta .22. The very diverse owners showed up trying to catch him, soon after.

Boolit Buddy
    so your bragging that you repeatedly shot a neighbors pet in his own back yard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How old are you?????

Perhaps if the owner had either trained or restrained his dog then Brassrat would not have had to do it for him. A bb gun isn't a toy, but on thick haired/ thick skinned animals it is unpleasant. A shock collar would be a viable and preferred alternative but would present you with some application difficulties if it wasn't your dog. Again... you might want to tone down the snark if you want to discuss. You've succeeded in alienating most of the respondents, including me, to the point that you seem to be swimming against the tide. I'm not trying to change your mind about how we deal with aggressive dogs... but I would like to see a more respectful exchange with the other posters. I'm through.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufus Krile View Post
    P Again... you might want to tone down the snark if you want to discuss. You've succeeded in alienating most of the respondents, including me, to the point that you seem to be swimming against the tide.
    Why would anybody want to do that? Quite a bit is coming through now that I think I covered in my last post.

Boolit Master

Those old Daisy Red Ryder BB guns were pretty low on velocity. Back in the old days before paintball and Airsoft, we sometimes shot each other with them. Sometimes, we shot *ourselves* with them after finding out that you should not try using a tire as a target. Surprisingly, we did not "put an eye out", but that was probably more due to luck than anything else. I think that these days, the Red Ryders are around 350 fps and I would not be surprised if the old ones were even less. From what I've seen of some of the people getting hit with paintballs on unprotected skin, I think the paintballs might hurt a bit more.

Shooting a dog that is on his own property though is not cool. Now, I had a neighbor who had a bunch of those little barking rat type dogs (chihuahuas and such) that would bark if a mosquito flew through the backyard. When they were barking at 03:00 outside my bedroom window when I was trying to sleep, it would often drive me to take retaliatory actions, especially in the winter. I have been known to go outside and decide to water the bushes along the fence at that hour and I'm not a very good aim with the water nozzle, so probably a lot of the cold water ended up getting onto his barking rats.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Not all mean dogs are mean because of how they were brought up by their owner.

Not all dogs that are love machines are that way because they were born that way!
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Grand Master

In town or a animal that's destroying stock ( the family next doors pet) the paint ball gun might be a good in between. Hit it with the paintball and send him home then call sheriff or animal control let them know what color and where the animals is from and when their pet is checked they can reimburse for damages. Had a neighbor that marked a "halloweeners" ( kids toilet papering and other mischief) car with one. Worked pretty good. Since they arnt poisonous and washable irts might be a solution in some cases.

In Remembrance
    Not all dogs harrassing livestock are strays or mean. I have had to put down a couple of my own, when they got a taste of chicken or small pigs.
    A dog does not have to be mean to run pounds off of beef, or keep a whole herd away from the water tank. This does not usually bother most hobby farmers, but ranchers that live off of their livestock is a whole different thing.

I never liked killing a dog, stray or not, yet have had to on occasion.

Dog attacks can and do happen. My sister was attacked and nearly killed by a german sheperd that was on a chain. It was owned by a friend of ours, and I had petted it just moments before it bit her.
    Her daughter, my niece, years later was attacked by a stray and they quit counting at 360 stiches in her face and head, while not common, it does happen.

Boolit Grand Master

Other than working dogs allowing dogs to run unsupervised is irresponsible. Period. Same for kids. It's always the same BS line that my kids/dogs never do anything wrong. I have seen parents that when shown video proof still wouldn't believe that's their little darling. Not my responsibility and I am not paying for the damages.

None of the owners that I know of working dog will tolerate a dog that wanders too far. I classify farm dogs as working dogs even if their only job is to keep the deer and rabbit out of the farm yard.

Last summer when I was shooting prairie dogs we spotted a dog way out in the middle of nowhere. The dog came to the call. It appeared hungry and thirsty so we gave it a sandwich and water. It did have a collar and tag on it and it happened to be someone I knew. I called him up and told him we found is dog. It was 18 miles from the farm. He stated he would be down in about a half hour to shoot it since it was the third time in two months it was found over ten miles from the yard. I asked him if he want me to shoot it for him and he said he would appreciate it. Seemed like a nice dog so I asked him a little more about it and he stated it was a great dog except for being a "runner". I asked him if it was OK if a gave it to someone I knew that was looking for a large dog for a fenced area. He had been trying to give it away for awhile but no one wanted a "runner".

He said that would be great as long as I took the tag to end his responsibility for the dog since it didn't want to have to pay any for damages "his" do might do when he no longer owned it. He got his collar back and the lady I gave it to loves the dog to pieces.

The point is he had a collar and tag on it and was willing to take responsibility of his dogs actions. That is just the opposite of most *** owners that let their large dogs run free and unsupervised with no collars/tags/chips and will not own up to there responsibilities.

Not only are my dogs collared they have microchips so not denying responsibility or taking ownership for there actions.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 03-19-2017 at 03:24 PM.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast