RepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Lodge Skillet.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    Heavy cast will distribute heat better with no hot spots. Cast will fry at the sides as good as the center. I hate pans that are hot in one place.
    On the Coleman stove, the longer strips of bacon brown in the middle first. I cuth them in half for more even cooking. I wonder if the 10 degree weather had anything to do with that?? Shouldn't have. That was the secong thing I fryied. First was sausage patties on the stovetop after the first seasoning.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Banned

I have a big Lodge frying pan like that, most useful piece of kitchen gear we own. Also have a little one like restaraunts use for orders of fajitas and such and it's nice too, just not the quality of that Lodge.

Boolit Grand Master
    As stated by one of my Latin/Hispanic friends, great for home made tortillas, papusa, quesidillas. Big enough for them.

SHiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
    On the Coleman stove, the longer strips of bacon brown in the middle first. I cuth them in half for more even cooking. I wonder if the 10 degree weather had anything to do with that?? Shouldn't have. That was the secong thing I fryied. First was sausage patties on the stovetop after the first seasoning.

Shiloh
    Turn the heat down (3 out of 10) and let the skillet heat up before you put the bacon in. Then let it take it's time to cook. Don't be in a hurry. Same as at home.

Boolit Mold
    This is a rather old thread but I have something that may be of interest to some of you that love your cast iron but cannot tolerate the weight.

Lately, I have been using a black steel skillet that seems to have all the benefits of cast iron (except the heat retention) at maybe half the weight. It is a French made "Matfer" of about 9in. I am not much of a cook and certainly no expert on cookware but this pan is just right for my bacon, eggs, and toast ( I like skillet toast).

I don't remember what it cost, but it wasn't very expensive.
    Last edited by Squint; 07-10-2017 at 03:35 PM.

Vendor Sponsor

I got a new Lodge skillet too! Well, new to ME, and a griddle not a skillet. 1930s era, this old girl is feather light, and I love those beautiful swirl marks from the factory polishing that all the good iron makers turned out back then. It is well seasoned by use, this is the way I prefer to buy them, this one's perfect in every way and it has already earned a permanent spot on the stovetop.

Tonite's dinner was Ethiopian Blackened Grouper, (grouper caught at Hatteras with Ethiopian berbere spice, blackening spice, and cayenne pepper) made on this griddle, wish I would have gotten a pic! Rinsed it off with water, wiped with a paper towel, all it took to clean it up..

Last edited by DougGuy; 06-19-2017 at 10:43 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master
    Nice Doug Guy!!

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123