Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee Precision
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Lodge Skillet.

Boolit Grand Master

New Lodge Skillet.

15% off so it was $16.95 plus tax out the door at Fleet Farm.
    Washed it really well with a scrubby and a stiff brush with soapy water after bringing is home.

This is after baking for an hour at 400˚ twice. I heated it up on the stovetop on low to open the pores and let the bacon grease soak in before wiping it out. I did 1 1/2 lb. of thick sliced jalapeño bacon this morning on the Coleman stove outside on the deck. Wiped it out and put it on the stove til it smoked. Cooled and wiped it again with bacon grease. Doesn't take long to cool at 12˚ outside.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lodge Cast Iron Skillet.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	190374

Shiloh
    Last edited by Shiloh; 03-12-2017 at 09:05 PM.
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Grand Master

I just bought 2 cheap ones from sportsmans guide. A 5qt chicken fryer with lid and a square one with ridges in thr bottom. Came "pre seasoned" and both were rougher than my Lodges so i was a little hesitant. Washed one with soapy water and cooked up some apple smoked bacon. Seemed to work fine. Nothing like cast iron
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Bought my wife a couple of the "Copper Chef" as seen on TV. Loves them and Nothing, I mean NOTHING sticks to them.

With arthrist she can not use the cast iron anymore.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Didn't own a single piece of cast iron until a couple of months ago. Now I have a bunch. Love it.

Banned

Supper nice but the "copper" stuff looks good. Carol can't handle the big cast either.

Over the years, when church members found out I like cast iron, they brought me scores of pieces rusting in their garage because they became too heavy to use. I cleaned them up, seasoned them and put them in my office on a table.

When folks came in and saw the cast iron, they asked me why I had cast iron cooking stuff in my office. I replied I was the cast iron fairy and was giving it away to a good home. It didn't take long for it to go out the door.

I guess someday I will have to go to lighter stuff, but until them it is cast iron for me. Nothing cooks like cast iron. It isn't the non-stick quality I like, it is how it holds and radiates the heat.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Grand Master
    It is heavy Char-Gar. It lasts forever.Now that I ave another, my long lost skillet will show up. That's not a bad thing though.
    Good for you giving these skillets a good home.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

I've always preferred cast iron, not only for it's cooking but for the fact it gives the body the iron it needs.

Back in the 60's I bought Lodge wear by the ton from the factory as I worked in procurement for the largest RV company at the time. I worked in the accessory division, not bragging at all just telling the story. The fellow who owned Lodge was a great fellow BTW, was good to know him.

My wife "Carol also" just got so she couldn't handle the weight.

Boolit Master
    I have a square cast iron frying pan that has been in the family for more years than anybody remembers. Makes a perfectly sized egg for sandwiches.I have never washed it. I wipe it out and put it away. Always let it get really hot before I make an egg in it. Nothing sticks to it ever.

Boolit Grand Master
    They weigh a LOT!!

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

Moderator Emeritus

I don't use my cast iron as much anymore, arthritis in the hands and shoulders is making lifting it a pain(literally). But I really get tired of the teflon stuff that wears off into your food, and the ceramic pans that are the rage suck after 3-4 months when it gets sticky...

Vendor Sponsor

I LOVE it when I clean up two griddles and two skillets with one half of a paper towel!! GF loves it when I cook on cast iron cause she knows she won't have to do any of the cleaning!!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    I don't use my cast iron as much anymore, arthritis in the hands and shoulders is making lifting it a pain(literally). But I really get tired of the teflon stuff that wears off into your food, and the ceramic pans that are the rage suck after 3-4 months when it gets sticky...
    Carol's been using her first Copper Chef Skillet now for over 6 months now, no sticking yet and she does use it daily for my breakfast.

Forget the Teflon tho!

Moderator Emeritus

Pass on those, way to many bad reviews...

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Pass on those, way to many bad reviews...
    Likely they didn't bother to season them.

That is in the instructions!

Boolit Master
    I've got an old lodge 17" fry pan. It's very heavy. Makes great bacon and eggs. I just bought the glass cover for fried chicken.

Boolit Grand Master
    I like cast iron, and use it often. The easiest way I have found to season it is with flax seed oil from pills, as recommended by Kent Rollins. I don't have any Lodge, all of mine is Griswold or Wagner, most of which has been handed down through the family.

My mom bought me one of the copper coated skillets, it is a bit small at about eight inches in diameter at the rim, but as stated above, nothing sticks to it.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by marlin39a View Post
    I've got an old lodge 17" fry pan. It's very heavy. Makes great bacon and eggs. I just bought the glass cover for fried chicken.
    Except you need a Sherpa or gun bearer to move it for you. Couldn't believe how heavy the big ones are. Do they make a lid for it??

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

Boolit Grand Master

They are definitely heavy. It's why my wife won't use them. It's easier for her to pull the nonsticks out of the lazy susan instead of pulling the cast iron off the wall. I've been exposed to so many chemicals at work that a little teflon in my food is the least of my worries. I have some nice copper bottom pans but they require seasoning like cast iron. That's apparently to much work for the wife as well :laugh:

Perma-Banned
    I started collecting old Cast iron skillets over a year ago, i have a bunch of REALLY nice old Griswold and Wagner pans. I recently made myself stop, i cant live long enuf to wear out 1 of them, little lone 20! Love cooking in Cast iton! Favorite pan is a Griswold 10" made in 1906-1912, i am stil a sucker for a really nice old pan at garage sales! The old Griswolds are lightweight and silky smooooth! Awesome pans!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast