Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationReloading Everything
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who loves the old RN/RNFP revolver boolits?

Who loves the old RN/RNFP revolver boolits?

I do, I love em and I'm not in the least bit ashamed to admit it. I even load my .44 Magnum everyday-bluejeans-plinker loads with em. The Lyman 429383 with a light load of Red Dot makes for some pure pleasure shooting out of my 8.375" S&W629-3 and there's nothing so right as shooting some Lyman 454190's out of a vintage .45 Colt!

They're easy boolits to cast, load well in any revolver, shoot well, and can take care of any shooting situation where flesh and bone aren't involved as the target. That's what...90+% of all our shooting? I even seek out old factory loads with RN lead boolits, old Remington 158gr. lead RN loads for .38spl. old 246gr. RN .44spl. loads, and of course old W-W and Remington 250/255gr. .45 Colt loads.

I cast and shoot SWC boolits for .38, .44, and .45 as well as loading some JHP stuff when the occasion calls for it, but the good old RN/RNFP takes care of most all of my "pleasure" shooting. They work well for small edible game without a lot of meat destruction too, I just like em!..they still work.

Boolit Master

I've got a four cavity Lyman 358311. Love the look of that boolit. I'd like to get a 200 gr RN for the .38 one of these days. Never shot any RN in my .44, though I have a Marlin so I should pick one up some day.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

Boolit Grand Master

I am in the "other camp". When I shoot paper, I want big, clean cut holes in the paper to get full value of my hits even if i'm on the range by myself.

When I hunted, I also wanted "Full Value". That only comes with a big meplat. If I could only afford one bullet mold it would be a Keith style. It works with both paper and meat. Now, that I can afford specific molds, I shoot wadcutters, SWC's, WFN bullets. If I need a speed load, then a Round Flat with a relatively large meplat gets the call (or in the case of a .45 ACP in a revolver, a Truncated Cone).

FWIW
    Dale53

Banned

I like a RNFP in lever actions. Makes life easier.

I have SWC molds for all my handgun calibers too, but just like the RN's for pleasure shooting. I don't play bullseye anymore, I shoot for fun, and that means cans, rocks, steel plates, and breakable targets. The old RN does just fine, I like it.

Boolit Buddy
    I love RNFP for moon clip fed revolvers. Nothing worse than having the SWC shoulders hang up while aligning all six.

Boolit Master

RNFP or Keith style are my favorites in revolvers and levers as long as they feed.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

I am a big fan of RNFP bullets, I have limited confidence in hollow points, especially at the lower velocities I shoot, and carry. Basically my revolvers are loaded with wadcutters, and then SWC, or RNFP. Usually staying in the 800fps to 900fps range.

There's a soft spot in my heart for round nose bullets cast or jacketed. They don't make pretty holes in paper for scoring, nor do they have blunt faces and sharp angles for wounding, but I don't compete (well, much) and don't hunt. They just have a look about them.
    It's only hubris if I'm wrong.

Boolit Master

Yep.....
    I'm in this camp too. 358311 in .38 Special and 454190 in .45 Colt are classics and just plain look right! They shoot great too and in those calibers, I load those particular boolits over any other style.

Oh I love them. Always looking for lyman/ideal round nosed pistol molds. Started with the single cavities and working my way up to muti cavity molds. 358311,358242 and 358430 are easy to find and are in fact still in production. Others are tougher, many or most are long out of production. Never did get beyond a single cavity mold with 429184, have a double cavity 429383. don't think i have ever seen a 429384 or a 429384 for sale. Was lucky and found a 358246 four cavity (a favorite of mine) and really lucky to find a giant 7 cavity 358430 idea armory mold. These armory molds are wonderful, rare and often under priced. But buyer beware. they are old, long out of production molds that in some cases were used long and hard. Not unusual to find beat up cavities!

Boolit Grand Master
    About all I use in my SAA's and pistol caliber lever actions.
    Don Verna

The 358311 shoots better at longer ranges in my revolvers than any other boolit I have tried and I have tried a lot of them.
    For short range target, the full wadcutters work fine.

Boolit Master

The jury is still out but I have some 255 grain bullets that are powder coated that I am trying to shoot so far they seem to be more accurate than I am.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Banned

if anyone has ever read any of my posts on the subject..
    yeah I'm a RNFP user.
    probably an abuser.

RNFP works for me. Easy to load and hit like a hammer. 45 colt in 255 gr. does what that revolver does very well. Followed by SWC because holes in paper are primary activity and again at typical SD ranges that flat face delivers a lot of force.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    25 auto, 38 special, and 9mm get the rn boolits, 357 gets the rnfp. i make my buddies 45's for him and he chose the 200gr rnfp as well.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have used the 358-311 a bit,and have some experience with the 429-383 and 454-190. The round nosed boolits do tend to shoot well, sometimes very well, but not so great that I can urge their use over all. They load better than anything else from a speed loader though. My plinking loads are seldom used at any distance greater than 50 yards and there I find the wadcutter boolit holes to be easier to see.
    However, I am now reminded as I think on it of one benefit that all three of these great old lyman molds. All of them cast easy. Heat-fill-dump. With my 4 cavity 358-311, just open the mold, give it a shake and out they come. My other molds seldom drop their boolits as easily.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Buddy
    I like the RNFP in .38 and .44 special, but the Lyman 358430 200 gr RN surprisingly shown itself to be the most accurate in both .357 mag and .38 special. I could reduce my inventory of molds in those calibers to 3: Lyman 358430, Lyman 358432 (160 gr WC) and the Lyman 358156. My RCBS 38-158 RNFP has not been nearly as good. Maybe I have not found the right bullet/powder combo for it.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I use RNFPs of modern design from Accurate in all calibers. Meplat diameter from 0.6 to 0.7 of bullet diameter, with nose diameter ahead of crimp groove same as cylinder throat, with nose tolerance negative to enter chambers freely from speedloaders without sizing. Driving band diameters same as cylinder throats with tolerance on diameter positive, so can be trued to exact fit with minimal sizing. A few of my favorites:

Attachment 189771Attachment 189772Attachment 189773Attachment 189774

Good game performance with smooth feeding in either rifle or revolver.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 03-05-2017 at 09:14 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast