Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
RotoMetals2Load DataReloading EverythingWideners
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Progressive Press advice

Boolit Master

Progressive Press advice

I have been handloading on a single stage RCBS (RS3) press for 25ish years, am now considering a progressive press esp. for pistol. I load 357, 44mag, 45colt, 30 carbine, and now 9mm (this is the one eating the most ammo!). I have dies from Lee, Rcbs already and have a little dandy measure as well as a regular (forgot the name) RCBS measure. I have never even seen a progressive centerfire cartridge press. I have a Hornady 366 shotshell press that is wunderfull but that's it for progressives. If I should choose to get one, can I use my dies or anything else? I've looked at the Hornady Lock N Load AP, and the RCBS Pro Chucker 5. Is changing calibers simply a matter of changing dies, or do I have to buy new shellplates etc for each cal? I am just trying to decide how bad I want to load (esp the9mm) faster.

Boolit Master

put in a lot of time researching is the best advice i can give, as i think youll find there is no perfect progressive press. they all leave something to be desired etc.for what your wanting to do though, id suggest looking at the dillon 550b.

Boolit Buddy
    Dillon 650 with a casefeeder/Mr Bulletfeeder if you are loading a lot of the 9mm. It offers 10 minute caliber changes for your other loadings.

If you ever decide it is too much machine, they hold thier value really well.

Boolit Master

Just get the Dillon 550B and don't look back.

Banned

I prefer the 550 to the 650.
    simpler easier and for me just as fast.
    yes I have both.
    actually 4 550's and 1 650, I'd get rid of the 650 in a heart beat.
    you can use your dies.
    I use a mish mash of rcbs, lee, redding, Hornady, and Dillon dies.
    sometimes 3 different brands on the same tool head.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by SWANEEDB View Post
    Just get the Dillon 550B and don't look back.
    I second this. The 550B is a very versatile press. It's output is high enough for all but the most demanding shooters. If you need the highest production possible look at a 650 or 1050. But those presses aren't as simple.

Boolit Master
    I use a Lee Classic turret press with a Lee auto disk powder measure mounted on the turret and can crank out up to 200 rounds/hour of pistol ammo once I get a rhythm going.

I have always fought shy of progressives for 2 reasons #1, I can monitor every stage of the reloading process with my Lee turret, #2, I would have to take out a second mortgage to pay for a Dillon this side of the pond!

ukrifleman.

You will need to change shell plates ($30+ each); the Hornady shell plate would be similar to your 366 one prevailing torque nut to remove and a small spring that goes around the perimeter of the plate to hold the cartridges in while indexing. To change to different cartridges and primer size about 7 to 10 minutes.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    I'll add my .02 here. IF you are wanting to go faster in terms of rounds per hour, then get the Dillon RL550B and, like said before, don't look back!!! Once setup is completed, then you are off to the races, so to speak. Speed will come to you after a few rounds are done!! (boy am I gonna get set on fire for that Dillon statement) LOL
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Buddy
    Ok, so far 6 out of 8 say get the Dillon 550B. I say you should get what I use----------------------the Dillon 550B.
    Good judgment comes from experience.
    Experience comes from poor judgment.

Boolit Master
    Hornady LnL AP runs like a champ for me! I still have blue envy occasionally though.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Buddy
    I'd vote for blue press either 550B or 650 (I have both). 650 with case feeder (and MrBullet feeder) can really produce a lot of rounds. The negatives (compared to 550B) in MHO are almost twice the price per caliber change; less choice for calibers and I really don't like primer feed - the fact that it "always feed"... Also 650 with all options (including bullet feed) will be north of $1500 ...

Boolit Mold
    I've been running an RCBS Pro 2000 since they first came out. It has loaded over 100,000 rounds and has performed outstanding. The APS priming system has been very reliable and I like having 5 stations compared to Dillion's 4 stations for the 550B. Unfortunately RCBS has discontinued the Pro 2000 in favor of the Pro Chucker series.

I still like the Lee 5 hole turret press. I like to process all my brass first, then hand prime, and finally run them through by just dropping powder, seating a bullet, and a final crimp. It's very affordable and works really well if you need to use it for other calibers.

Dillons are nice and I have a fleet of Dillon 1050's with various auto-drives for work. I think all progressives/semi have their following once they are dialed in and also have their problems. It all depends on your volume and wallet.

Boolit Master
    Just for loading pistol ammo you might consider the Dillon Square Deal B. Can't use your dies though. Just for the record, I load ~13 different calibers on a 550B, and often wish I still had my Square Deal for loading .45 ACP and .44 mag. The 550B is more versatile and it cranks out the ammo when you get the rhythm.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Agree ^ I rather load than change caliber so SDB is very appealing at the end of the day. I've never owned one though. For the same price you can have either a 550 or a LnL so it's really a hard decision for you. I have a LnL and a 550. I love my LnL with a bullet feeder die for producing 45acp. It's only limitation is my ability to keep primers in the tube. I'm sure the same can be said about the other two presses also. They are all such beautiful machines get one of each!

Boolit Master
    I would step up to a Lee Classic Cast turrent press myself if running 5 different calibers. My bench has 3 lees (classic cast single and turrent, plus a pro1000), it also has 2 Dillon 550Bs. Each has what they are good at, with the 550s I can process about 250/hr. With the turrent press I run about 150/hr. All my rifle is done on the Classic presses as they are tumbled after size/decap.
    The pro1000 is used as a fast decapper.

Banned

the shell plates are just like a shell holder.
    I can use a number-1 plate to load 45 acp, 308, 7 mauser, 30-06.
    my 223 plate does it and a couple of other calibers.

Boolit Master

Thanks for all of this advice, you read all the reviews on these machines and some people love each of them, and some think the same machine is junk. I can load now, but it's slow. This wasn't so apparent, 'till I got the 9mm. I can run through 2hrs work in 20 mins! The price is certainly right on that Lee Turrent Press but in my experience with Lee stuff, sometimes it works great, and sometimes not.Also, couldn't tell how much faster it would be.

Boolit Master
    Well, I just got done assembling my Pro Chucker 5. So far, I'm very happy with it, its a very smooth running machine, and the press itself is massively overbuilt. Should be still cranking out ammo for my grandkids... and my kids are still in highschool!

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast