RotoMetals2Inline FabricationWidenersRepackbox
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee Precision
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a buyer rant.

Boolit Master

a buyer rant.

when you go to flea market, antique store, pawn shop.

and nothing has a price on it.
    and YOU don't know what its worth. (but if it HAD a price on it, it would be helpful in your decision.)

so you ask..............."how much is it?"

here's what you get.....

"what'll ya give me?

"so ...how much, really?"

"you'll find i'm easy to deal with."

"so.....how much?

"saw one of these sell the other day ...not in as good of shape as this one."

"so how much?"

"you'll not soon find another one."

"so how much?"

"well....if you check around..................

"stop i'm done i don't want it anymore."

that game playing irritates the livin' hell outta me!

this and people who stalk buy/sell forums to ask retail prices on "almost" new items...(except they are used.)

rant over

Boolit Master
    I lowball whenever that game starts. No need to know the real value. offer them what seems ridiculously low and they'll start throwing out numbers real quick like.

Boolit Master
    "Times are tough, but here's a sawski out of my own pocket" generally starts the dialogue. But I find most unpriced items are just the unwillingness of the seller to make up tags. In my experience, most of them know what they want. They dream big, for the most part, but sometimes you get a bargain.

Boolit Grand Master

I wont even give a good look at merchandise without a price shown. The seller obviously changes his asking price determined by sizing up a customer. It is his and he can darn well take it back home with him.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master
    If it is a mold, gun, press, etc. I say it's worth $5 to me. After the "I can't sell it for that" I say then give me a price, if they still don't, I just move on. Life is too short to put up with that. They either want to sell it or not.

Perma-Banned
    I offer them a nickel. if this brings out a realistic price and it's somethin' I really want we may haggle a bit. if it brings out a ridiculous fantasy price I snort derisively & leave the establishment.

Boolit Buddy
    I always tell them "I can't buy AND sell it".

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    What really gets me is in an antique mall . . . where each booth is filled by a different dealer and there are price tags missing. On several occasions, and in different malls, I've asked whoever is on the counter "how much is such and such in booth #? - there isn't a tag on it. Usually they make a trip to the booth to verify what I've already told them and it's . . "I'll have to call them". So they do and they can't reach the dealer. Then it's "I can't get them on the phone, would you like to leave your name and number?" Several times I've replied . . "No . . . I'd like to leave them a message. Please tell them if they are too lazy to put prices on their items then I'm guessing they really don't want to sell them".

Flea markets are a real trip when you find a booth with nothing marked . . . as already mentioned, they size you up and go form there. If I run across something I'm interested in and they want to play the "what's it worth to you?" game, I lowball with a ridiculous offer and when they start "crying" about how much it's worth, then I ask what they want. If they come back with a much too high price . .. . I just say that "well, I've lived without it this long, I guess I can get along without it." I'm willing to pay a "fair price" but not be taken advantage of either.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by mozeppa View Post
    when you go to flea market, antique store, pawn shop.

and nothing has a price on it.
    and YOU don't know what its worth. (but if it HAD a price on it, it would be helpful in your decision.)

so you ask..............."how much is it?"

here's what you get.....

"what'll ya give me?

"so ...how much, really?"

"you'll find i'm easy to deal with."

"so.....how much?

"saw one of these sell the other day ...not in as good of shape as this one."

"so how much?"

"you'll not soon find another one."

"so how much?"

"well....if you check around..................

"stop i'm done i don't want it anymore."

that game playing irritates the livin' hell outta me!

this and people who stalk buy/sell forums to ask retail prices on "almost" new items...(except they are used.)

rant over
    Here's my answer to any of those!

You're the one selling it, quote me a price and we'll go from there, otherwise I'm otta here!

Simple right?
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Master
    It's all part of the game.
    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" Looking for an RCBS Ammomaster and H&R shotgun barrels regardless of condition

Perma-Banned

I don't buy stuff that I don't know the value of...

If I am interested, I tell them what I will give them...usually a low ball price. If they accept, I buy...if they counter, I consider and buy it or move on. Not real difficult to handle these situations.

I have bought plenty of stuff that had no posted price.

Boolit Master
    Buyers and sellers can both be a real pain in the....

i dont have have a problem making an offer on something tagged or untagged. If something is untagged I'll start at about half of what I'd pay. If it's something I actually want I might start at 75% of what I want to pay.

Boolit Master
    Small items like molds and such don't terribly bother me if its not marked. I just make a low offer and go from there. The things that really bother me are high dollar items like cars alongside the road. If I stop to look at it and there's no price listed, or worse yet it says "best offer", I usually just move on without asking.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Boolit Master
    I don't let the missing price tag bother me too much. It doesn't cost me anything to walk away if they won't take a reasonable offer.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Buddy
    just tell them "I don't price another man's stuff." and walk.

Boolit Master

"what'll ya give me?

My FIL used to say; "I don't want to put a price on your merchandise"

A Farmer I used to know would say; "I don't want to pay anything, tell me what you have to get and let's split the difference."
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Buddy
    I don't bother with no price tags. Just keep walking.

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba.50 View Post
    I offer them a nickel. if this brings out a realistic price and it's somethin' I really want we may haggle a bit. if it brings out a ridiculous fantasy price I snort derisively & leave the establishment.
    Pretty much!

If it might be worth a few dollars, I'll give you a dollar. Or nickel, Some stupid ridiculous price. But mainly I keep walking unless it is something I REALLY need, which is not much these days. Price your stuff!

OH, and this goes for gunshows too! they seem to be fleamarkets mainly anyways!

Boolit Master
    Then there's the table full of unpriced stuff where you ask the genial guy (or nice lady) behind it "How much is this?" And you get the reply, "Oh, that belongs to my buddy/husband, and he's out cruising the show. He'll be back in a few seconds/minutes/hours. I have no idea what he wants for it."

I just remember the time I followed the sound of Chukars gobbling for a half hour through thorns and pickers, only to find a guy doodling away on his Chukar call. Sometimes the prize is elusive, even though it seems to be right there in front of you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast