Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wolves again

In Remembrance

Wolves again

WELL I finally got to lay eyes on the black wolves my boss has seen on the log road a few times.
    I just got a glimpse of the large one, but got a pretty good, but quick look at the smaller of the two.
    If the gray was with them I didn't see it, but they had fresh tracks on and off the road where they had worked probably 3 miles of it.
    I saw them at 16.5 mile, at 6.5 mile there was a fresh moose kill, that I don't think was there friday.
    Just a calf with not much left but head and backbone, no tracks around it from today though.

There were two elderly, as in pretty much antique women at 2 mile that had walked in walking their dogs, I told them that the wolves were quite a ways down the road today, but they would probably think them dogs looked downright tasty. lol

Boolit Master

We're thick with wolves down here. On a moose hunt last year, sign was everywhere and the elk wouldn't bugle during the day. My neighbor spotted one walking down the street in front of my house. My daughter saw one a couple miles out of town running along the ridge last Summer, and I've seen a couple while driving. My brother came upon one in a leg trap last Fall while hunting... Took some good pictures...

Attachment 190408

Perma-Banned
    These are some harsh critters! They have played hell on our elk population. Idaho use to sell out EVERY single out of state elk tag, now they try and sell the out of state tags to us locals as a second tag. Who would want to pay the HUGE out of state fee to come hunt an area destroyed by wolves? Moose are not far from extinct around here now days, use to see LOTS N LOTS of moose about everywhere i went around here, now i see maybe a dozen a year if that? Been that way for the last few years. With the moose its a combination of over hunting them, and wolves, moose are easier targets for wolves than elk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 54bore View Post
    These are some harsh critters! They have played hell on our elk population. Idaho use to sell out EVERY single out of state elk tag, now they try and sell the out of state tags to us locals as a second tag. Who would want to pay the HUGE out of state fee to come hunt an area destroyed by wolves? Moose are not far from extinct around here now days, use to see LOTS N LOTS of moose about everywhere i went around here, now i see maybe a dozen a year if that? Been that way for the last few years. With the moose its a combination of over hunting them, and wolves, moose are easier targets for wolves than elk
    Yep. I grew up in Idaho and bought a house in Washington a couple of years ago. I buy the Idaho non-resident fishing license, but don't bother with hunting. I go with my dad and brother every year and help them.

We had nearly 1000lbs of meat last year between dad's moose, and my brother's elk and deer. Oh, and a bear.

Local dirty hippies are still in denial and swear that wolves aren't impacting elk populations. Idiots...

Lots of wolves here too (Ely MN) . They pick a few dogs up outta back yards every year, they are not the ONLY reason our moose are in decline.
    Last edited by zymguy; 03-13-2017 at 12:14 AM. Reason: add location

Boolit Master

Ely sauna house. Then back to the lake.

What else happening to da moose? Poachers?

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    Yep. I grew up in Idaho and bought a house in Washington a couple of years ago. I buy the Idaho non-resident fishing license, but don't bother with hunting. I go with my dad and brother every year and help them.

We had nearly 1000lbs of meat last year between dad's moose, and my brother's elk and deer. Oh, and a bear.

Local dirty hippies are still in denial and swear that wolves aren't impacting elk populations. Idiots...
    Really good friend of mine that traps, involved in an organization to help fund trappers etc. He went on a call that some hunters had seen a bull moose in a particular area that was messed up, they couldn't tell what was wrong? But knew something wasn't right with the bull? They seen wolf sign all over the area, my friend showed up and walked out an old abandoned logging grade, the bull was laying down in the grade, my friend thought he was dead? The closer he got, the bull stood up, my friend said there was a good 30-40 pounds of meat eaten from his hind quarters. Wolves are no joke predator! In my opinion the only good one is a dead one!!! I am not the only one that thinks that around here, they are being dealt with to the best of abilities

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    Where do these people think the wolves go to eat, Burger King?
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Plate plinker View Post
    Ely sauna house. Then back to the lake.

What else happening to da moose? Poachers?
    http://www.startribune.com/in-saving...ces/365163651/

In Remembrance
    Millions of dollars are spent denying the impact wolves have on game.
    3/4's of the collared calves were killed by predators before that part of the study was abandoned, that be a nice word for wolves, don't you know.
    I'm not the best at math, but if my calculations, that would be 30 out of 40, so their days are severely numbered if everything else was perfect.

Boolit Grand Master

They can claim all the **** they want but the bottom line is that the moose and deer decline is only happening in the area's wolves have been reintroduced. One of the local TV stations tracked a bunch of moose cows. 50% of the calves were killed by wolves in the first week.

Boolit Master

I struggle with wolves on my land too. Our laws are created in the big cities where all I hear is how beautiful and majestic wolves are. Makes me want to export about 50 to one of the parks in the city. Give the wolves a little while to do what wolves do best and we'll se how beautiful and majestic they are!
    We would be far better of with liberal federal judges out of the wolf business. States are much more apt to have a finger on the pulse of local wolf populations.

Boolit Master

The old timers had a reason to eradicate the wolves,yotes,and other predators and now the tree huggers and cry babies want to re introduce them to kill off a viable herd of elk,deer and other animals.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Perma-Banned
    The key here is Reintroduced, Our Elk and Moose learned to live with the original true Native Idaho wolf that has lived here forever, been that way forever and worked in harmony! AWESOME elk and Moose numbers, But then they decide to 'Reintroduce' a Hybrid, These things are GIANTS compared to the original Native Idaho wolf, The elk and Moose simply can NOT deal with them! Our elk here in northern Idaho run in Small little bunches, 8-10 is a BIG herd, 4-6 is the normal number. These 'Reintroduced Hybrid wolves' find a little herd of elk and live with them until every single elk is dead, Then off to find another little group of elk to wipe out. Ad in a bad winter of 5-6 ft of snow (like this year) some rain and then lock up and freeze, creates a hard cap on top of the snow that a dog, wolf, coyote can literally RUN WIDE OPEN ON, but deer, elk, and Moose fall through, The wolves, and coyotes have a literal field day with them! The Game Dept knows good and well that the wolves are a HORRIBLE problem here and have costed them a literal FORTUNE in NON sales of non resident elk tags, There is a reason You can get 5 Wolf tags a piece here in Idaho!

Perma-Banned
    Idea of what these 'Reintroduced Hybrid Wolves' look like, how big they are. Hell of a thing to DUMP on our Elk and Moose huh? They Don't stand a chance against these things

Attachment 190421 Attachment 190422 Attachment 190424

In Remembrance
    The long range plan behind the introduction of wolves is to decimate the game enough to where eventually people stops hunting. The plan is working as intended.

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    The long range plan behind the introduction of wolves is to decimate the game enough to where eventually people stops hunting. The plan is working as intended.
    I couldn't agree more starmac!!

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I'm from lower Michigan so educate me a little. When Michigan was settled in the 1830's, I've read first hand accounts of how people couldn't go out after dark due to the Wolf packs roaming and one in particular that i remember reading, was how a guy didn't get back to his cabin in time so had to spend the night up a tree watching the Wolves circling below.

I can only imagine what these things do to the elk, moose & deer as well as livestock or snatching dogs up for finger food. For those of you in the areas where these things are becoming a nuisance - when you're hunting or hiking or just working on the farm - are they aggressive towards humans or are they skittish? I'm sure a situation could arise and I would think that they would be more aggressive if in a pack rather than a single one but I'm just curious as to whether there have been incidents of messing with people? Of course I'm sure much of it would not be in the media.

I grew up on a large farm in southern Michigan back in the 50's and early 60's. We hunted and "roamed" all the time but we never had coyotes. Now, they are all over the place. We live on the back side of the farm and last summer, my wife took our two little dogs out the first thing in the morning before sunrise. She came running back in with them as where we walk them, a pack of coyotes had bedded down for the night and when she came out, they suddenly raised a ruckus - enough that it scared the begetters out of her as she knew they would go after the dogs. I have spotted single coyotes out in the fields but they remain pretty skittish and unfortunately, they were in spots where I couldn't shoot with a rifle due to houses int he background, etc.

54bore - thanks for the photos. Those are unbelievable! One can only imagine the impact of them on the wildlife herds or domestic livestock. Sort of makes you want to use the 3S method of control . . "shoot, shovel and shut up". There are too many fools make decisions about things they know nothing about.

Boolit Master

54 bore
    I am of the opinion that the only good wolf or coyote is a dead one. I am in southwest Idaho and when I do draw a tag hunt in south east Idaho as that is where a friend of mine grew up. Yep I am busted up enough I don't hunt alone, life has a way of messing with a guy having a good time out in the woods. Have never cared if I got what I was hunting more enjoyment from being where I can't see, smell or hear others, but nature. We can only hope one day we have the wolf and coyote population down to where we have game animals to hunt, maybe if the wild pigs make it here to Idaho the wolfs and coyotes will find out that it is like to be hunted by another animal.
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by shdwlkr View Post
    54 bore
    I am of the opinion that the only good wolf or coyote is a dead one. I am in southwest Idaho and when I do draw a tag hunt in south east Idaho as that is where a friend of mine grew up. Yep I am busted up enough I don't hunt alone, life has a way of messing with a guy having a good time out in the woods. Have never cared if I got what I was hunting more enjoyment from being where I can't see, smell or hear others, but nature. We can only hope one day we have the wolf and coyote population down to where we have game animals to hunt, maybe if the wild pigs make it here to Idaho the wolfs and coyotes will find out that it is like to be hunted by another animal.
    My dad use to hunt southeast Idaho, the Diamond creek unit I believe its called? He did AMAZING back in the day there, about 20 years ago now. You had to go in from Wyoming, you needed permission from farmers to get in there the way I understood it?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast