Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load Data
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: Controlling the >>> Micrometer <<< ...with ease

Controlling the >>> Micrometer <<< ...with ease

Attachment 199177

Trying to mic a finished projectile can be a bit frustrating as you try to measure and turn the cast around a few degrees at a time.
    Before I found this microwave magnet I used to put the cast at the edge of the table and try to roll it and measure and ended up many times just rolling it off the table...you know the rest of the story on that...anyway, this magnet holds the mic so you can run the mic and roll the cast for measurements at the same time.

Thought I'd pass this along for what it is worth...

charlie
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Good idea! I love it.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

For the few times I would use it, I couldn't justify the cost of a micrometer stand so I struggled along like you. I'm going to try the magnet idea, thanks.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 2 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Yeah, it requires some finess and something to hold the mic does make it easier. The magnet is a good idea!

Boolit Grand Master

Wrap you little finger inside the frame and pinch the outside of the frame into your palm then with thumb and index you can turn the thimble wile holding the item to be measured with the other. Where mics get tricky is when measuring a thread with wires. You have the mikes 3 wires ( that have to be hid in the threads 2 bottom 1 on top) and the thread itself. If you have an older set of used mics you may see the points on the inside of the frame where the finish is wore off even. I always found it harder to get a good feel when using the stand, Just didn't seem as "natural" to me. If you need use little finger and the one next to it in the frame. This is a very comforatable natural grip for the mikes and puts the thimble where it needs to be and the scale where it can easily be seen.

Sounds like solid advice here country gent...sounds like you have worked a mic all your career. Me, my tools have been pipe benders and Amprobes and the like...your solution makes me go "Duuuuh!" to myself, thinking why didn't I think of that? Prolly cause I have big hands and fat fingers along with some wear and tear too so dexterity ain't quite what she used to be!

Right when you think you have it all figured out...here comes a bunch of solutions...guess all we have to do around here is..."Ask?"

Boolit Master
    This is the way I've always held a mic for bullets, and most any other thing to measure.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mic.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	199188
    Last edited by KenH; 07-05-2017 at 04:57 PM.

Boolit Master
    Now I have to try that when I get home...
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

These tricks sure beat laying the cast at the edge of the bench and trying to close the mic without rolling the cast off the table or rolling it to a position I didn't want to measure...thanks boys.

Boolit Grand Master

The "shocker" definitely has nothing to do w/ a micrometer

Let's see if this works.

I posted this stand up a few years back and most people weren't kind. Was told I needed to learn how to hold a mic and so forth. I'm not a machinist so the stand makes things nice and easy. I like consistent results and this provides if.
    Last edited by JonB_in_Glencoe; 07-24-2017 at 11:11 AM. Reason: quoted image deleted

That stand is a great way to measure...gives you total control of the mic and the position on the cast you want to measure.

Only trouble is...I ain't got one!

?---People giving you grief? Just consider the source and roll along as usual...no skin missing here!

Besides, when I figure a way to remedy a problem, the first thing I do is look around the shop for an answer...that and a little creative thinking and that usually solves the problem. The last thing I'll do is run to town 30 miles away and find a tool to solve another tool's problem.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by KenH View Post
    This is the way I've always held a mic for bullets, and most any other thing to measure.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mic.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	199188
    That's the way my Daddy taught me MANY decades ago...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Master
    Thanks for sharing about the magnet. Strong magnets have 1000s of uses everyday.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Boolit Grand Master

One of the things we always fought in the tool room was magnetivity. Things became magnetized from the magnetic chucks and things. Some of the bigger magnetic chucks could rouin a chead analog watch pretty quick. drills don't release chips and load worse taps the same. Mics it can affect feel and set down they pick up and hold fine chips making them a pain. Luckily a pass or 2 thru the demagnetizer usually cured it. With a little work and some hard wood a thread insert and thumb screw a simple useable mic stand can be made. One plus to the wood ones is they dont transfer heat or vibration as much.

Boolit Master
    Yep - things getting magnetized is one of those things I always worry about. I've always stayed away from those magnetic tool holders for that same reason.

If you use your mic around metal shavings or chips then this magnet idea is not going to work...

however...

My mic never see's anything but Pb.

although...

I think I will build a wooden holder as suggested above and run my mic under the degausser.

Boolit Master
    Only time I've used a micrometer stand is when I was using a supermike and needed to completely isolate the mike from my body heat while checking many parts that had tolerancing in the millionths.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Grand Master

Another issue in shops with mikes is coolant the old bkack oil wsnt near as bad but the newer water soluables when dry leave a hard sticky filmnon them that can create issues as it buids up. Grinding and the newer mills lathes running these coolants can foul a set in a couple days requiring cleaning to remove. Like a lot of things practice improves performance, Sit down in the evening and measure the same part over and over, this makes the mics use a comfortable and known thing.

Boolit Grand Master

Smokey wolf we did that work on the cmm when ever possible, took a lot of the operator out of the equasion, LOL

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Smokey wolf we did that work on the cmm when ever possible, took a lot of the operator out of the equasion, LOL
    Couple of small job-shops I worked in had "inspection benches"; no CMM.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789