Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWidenersTitan Reloading
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Is this from antimony?

Boolit Master

Is this from antimony?

Casting today and it seemed there was an excess of lead particles. Is this from having more antimony or have I just not noticed it before?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    "Consequently we move away from other shooters to remain focused on our passion, as our ideas are quickly dismissed or misunderstood by others. Sharing does not come easily for swagers, not because they are necessarily selfish, but because they have been whittling away in their only little world for so long, that being able to relate to others what they understand is no simple task."

​Mentor

Banned

it's from the bottom of the sprue cut.
    it seems like sometimes I get more and sometimes I don't see any.
    I think just 1 second more or less makes enough difference to get it or not.

Boolit Master
    Funny I was just looking at my new mold and thought of this. Now that I think of it some did and some did not. I could hear it hit the tin I was dropping them on. There seems to be more play in this mold than the other one I have. Guess I will tighten it a bit before next session. Kids and dogs are why I worry. The cleaner the better.
    "Consequently we move away from other shooters to remain focused on our passion, as our ideas are quickly dismissed or misunderstood by others. Sharing does not come easily for swagers, not because they are necessarily selfish, but because they have been whittling away in their only little world for so long, that being able to relate to others what they understand is no simple task."

​Mentor

Boolit Master
    I find when i run mine hot, i get a lot more crumbs of lead than i do when i run it cooler.

Boolit Master

It's from the sprue cut. You're tearing the lead because it hasn't cooled enough. Just look at the bases of the boolits in the picture.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

Boolit Master
    there are divots in the bottom of some that are huge and others that are not. Interesting.

​Mentor

Boolit Master

Which mold? How many cavities? Do you always fill them in the same order?
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

Boolit Master
    Mihec 6 cavity brass mold yes same order
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...8&share_type=t

9mm (356-125 2R) 6cav brass solid mold Group buy Lube groove or no lube groove
    Last edited by Utah Shooter; 03-12-2017 at 07:42 PM.

​Mentor

Boolit Master

Your mold is getting too hot. I've never used a brass mold but I know brass holds heat. Casting in the same order all the time with a multiple cavity mold also can cause problems as part of the mold is much hotter than the rest.

Try cooling the mold and slowing down you cadance a bit.
    Semper Fi!

Boolit Master
    Interesting. I was trying to go fast. Thank you

​Mentor