Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: Eagerly awaiting first mp mold in 9mm need pet loads

Eagerly awaiting first mp mold in 9mm need pet loads

Sprung for a 9mm mp mold so I can play with hollow points. It's a no lube groove design that I will powder coat. I'm pretty giddy as I've wanted one of his molds for a long time. First brass mold, first HP as well.
    Whats a good all purpose load anyone likes? Before anyone asks what it being shot in don't bother, as I don't actually own a 9mm..... okay it's an illness at this point. I blame some of you.

Powders on hand are:

Bullseye
    red dot
    international clays
    titewad

Boolit Buddy

What bullet mould did you buy?
    We need the bullet weight to suggest a load.

Quote Originally Posted by Valley-Shooter View Post
    What bullet mould did you buy?
    We need the bullet weight to suggest a load.
    Derp, yeah that matters huh! Lol. It's the 125gr hp/pb no lube groove design.

Banned

I have that MP mold on loan right now.
    only not in h-p version.

I'm planning on upping my normal red-dot/bulls-eye load .1gr to compensate for the slippery.
    that would get them up to 3.3 grs.
    unless I need to seat them fairly deep for some reason then I would drop the load .1 or maybe a little more.
    with titewad I would go even lower to start.
    it's an energetic powder that seems to parallel red-dot fairly well in the shotgun world, only it has a bit higher pressure doing it.

What kind of gun? I've found that Colt and other 1911s don't need a much "juice" as, say, a Glock 26.

Also, just plinking, or do you want that hp point to open up?

Red Dot at 3.2 - 3.6; Bullseye 3.5 - 3.8

All the powders you list are pretty fast burning. If you want more velocity, try Power Pistol or even Unique... I'm hearing good things about Longshot and like VV 3n37 a lot, although it has become quite expensive in the last several years.

I use 4.0 Red Dot with that weight bullet, with good results.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    I have that MP mold on loan right now.
    only not in h-p version.

I'm planning on upping my normal red-dot/bulls-eye load .1gr to compensate for the slippery.
    that would get them up to 3.3 grs.
    unless I need to seat them fairly deep for some reason then I would drop the load .1 or maybe a little more.
    with titewad I would go even lower to start.
    it's an energetic powder that seems to parallel red-dot fairly well in the shotgun world, only it has a bit higher pressure doing it.
    Cool, so how heavy are they coming out, about 135gr? Yeah I've come to like titewad but it definitely has some punch. Bullseye shows to be a faster burn but titewad must make more pressure at lower charges which is how we can get away with using so little. Not sure why it isn't used more. Or maybe it is and I'm just unaware.
    Interesting that you mention slippery. I know PC is more slippery than J-word but I'm assuming you mean more slippery than your lubed lead loads? I had been under the assumption that they were similar in slip factor.

Thanks for the responses guys and gals. I'll post some pics if I can get a clean powder coat going. I reserve the right to cheat and use the electrostatic gun for photos .

Banned

the PC has a lower engraving pressure and generally needs about a 4% increase over a naked lead boolit to get things back in line with accuracy and velocity.
    kind of like using a moly coated versus not moly coated bullet.

I haven't bothered to actually weigh one yet but 130-135 would be a good guess.
    the HM-2 mold I'm running now is naked and about the same weight but I have a load dialed in for our 9mm's with it, so I'm basing the load details off that one.

I see a few guy's using the titewad here and there and I got onto using it cause it's actually on the shelf and 10 bucks an 8lb jug cheaper.
    I started using it in my trap loads and got to comparing it with red-dot some.

the PC has a lower engraving pressure and generally needs about a 4% increase over a naked lead boolit to get things back in line with accuracy and velocity.
    kind of like using a moly coated versus not moly coated bullet.

I haven't bothered to actually weigh one yet but 130-135 would be a good guess.
    the HM-2 mold I'm running now is naked and about the same weight but I have a load dialed in for our 9mm's with it, so I'm basing the load details off that one.

I see a few guy's using the titewad here and there and I got onto using it cause it's actually on the shelf and 10 bucks an 8lb jug cheaper.
    I started using it in my trap loads and got to comparing it with red-dot some.
    Once again mr runfiverun THANK YOU,!

Quote Originally Posted by dougader View Post
    What kind of gun? I've found that Colt and other 1911s don't need a much "juice" as, say, a Glock 26.

Also, just plinking, or do you want that hp point to open up?

Red Dot at 3.2 - 3.6; Bullseye 3.5 - 3.8

All the powders you list are pretty fast burning. If you want more velocity, try Power Pistol or even Unique... I'm hearing good things about Longshot and like VV 3n37 a lot, although it has become quite expensive in the last several years.
    Don't care too much about hp opening on majority of loads but I suppose one that did splat properly would make sense. I'll probably use the flat point pins most of the time. I kinda wish i had purchased the RN mold instead actually, but I was just curios about the HP casting as I never had. I sort of gave up on bullseye powder because it is so dirty but maybe I should give it another chance. Maybe in higher pressure 9 it will burn cleaner.

Quote Originally Posted by scattershot View Post
    I use 4.0 Red Dot with that weight bullet, with good results.
    Have you speed checked that load by chance?

Banned

that 4.0 would be breaking 1-K.
    I'm trying to target target speeds of about 850 with the 3. gr area.
    they make it through the paper and all the way to the dirt.
    I also don't have to chase too much brass it tends to stay in one little pile.

that 4.0 would be breaking 1-K.
    I'm trying to target target speeds of about 850 with the 3. gr area.
    they make it through the paper and all the way to the dirt.
    I also don't have to chase too much brass it tends to stay in one little pile.
    Well behaved brass is a real bonus. I'm the guy that does 3 mags before realizing I've just tossed all my brass into waist high weeds or, on occasion, a running stream :/

i just speed checked a 3.6gr red dot in the garage at 1050 fps, locked back the slide and brass flew about 5' forward and to the right. Might be a good load. I only shot three (I have neighbors lol) and primers looked good *i think. Strong slot imprint and two had slight flattening. What do you think?

Also when you say it makes it to the dirt, do you feel it's a little lethargic for anything more substantial like a plate rack?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3725.jpg  

i just speed checked a 3.6gr red dot in the garage at 1050 fps

Now that is what I need, I have to go outside about 25 yrds to do that ! and right now my sand pile is frozen, so my lead loss is growing......

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by MKN View Post
    i just speed checked a 3.6gr red dot in the garage at 1050 fps

Now that is what I need, I have to go outside about 25 yrds to do that ! and right now my sand pile is frozen, so my lead loss is growing......

Matt
    lol well maybe the grass is greener but I wish I could shoot outside instead. Frozen or not, I'm only inside because I'm trying to keep the cops from coming by to check on why there is gunfire. Not that they would anyway. Pretty regular event in my area.

Banned

they will tip the 6" steel plates on the racks no problem.
    the 3.2 load is on the low side, but it isn't overly anemic [and I was just looking for something like a 38 special load]
    but it functions my CZ-75, the Para Ord, the norinco 213's, and the hi-point carbine 100% with full lock back.
    my SIL just got a new 9mm made somewhere in [I dunno] turkey? bosnia? it functions that gun 100% too.

Range tested the 3.2gr red dot solid nose and 3.6gr hollow points. Both easily cycled and locked the glock, the girlfriends Taurus 709 had perfect function but only sometimes locked back. So, they seem like winners. No leading and soft recoiling.

Btw the solid points at 3.2gr came out 950fps on the shop speed test bench pictured below
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_5989.jpg