Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Repackbox

Thread: 223 brass problem

Boolit Mold

223 brass problem

what would cause theses striations on the neck of these? they look so uniform.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 223 brass.jpg  

Boolit Master

Are these "new to you" previously fired cases? My first thought is they were fired out of a military-style rifle with a "fluted" chamber, such as the H&K G3 series.

Moderator Emeritus

I see scratches in the neck, were they there before you FL sized them?
    Is there gritty crud in your FL size die?
    Or is your FL size die damaged/scratched ?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

I got the same thing using new Starline 308 cases and two different, clean Lee sizing dies.
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Grand Master
    They are not from any fluted chamber I have ever seen, there is no question when you see those.

I'm wondering if the .223 sizing die doesn't have a bit of galled brass in the neck portion of the die.

Robert

Boolit Master

Definitely in the die.......
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master
    You either
    1. Sized some dirty cases and scratched the neck of the die
    2. Sized some cases with too little lube on the neck and the brass galled and stuck to the neck of the die.

You can correct either by spinning the die with a drill and polishing the neck out with 400 grit silicon carbide paper and a wood dowel. Use WD 40 or equivalent light oil to help the paper cut.
    It should not take more than 2 or 3 minutes to polish it. Then clean the die carefully.

Make sure you use a little lube on the case necks and always clean your brass before you size it.
    EDG

Boolit Master

Seen this before. As EDG posted. Clean and try to polish out sizing die, clean and chamfer some brass and see if it cleaned up. Did this myself resizing dirty brass and wasmable to clean the die up. At least clean the brass with some 0000 steel wool before full length sizing to get the dirt off of it.

Boolit Master
    I had this happen to me once. It was built up brass in the neck. I soaked the neck using a saturated rag with Shooters and left it sit a couple days then used a nylon brush and it came right out. I gave the neck area a light polish with Flitz, then lubed it well with Imperial. Never happened since and no more scratches. I think it starts with a die neck and a case neck with marginal lube. Once the adhesion stars its all over.

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    This is H&K brass:

Attachment 190306

Nothing in the world like it.

Boolit Master
    For me all in how bad it is? If the marks are scratches or a shadows from pressure of resizing. Sometime a little marking not a deal breaker. Make sure the brass is clean and doesn't get any worse. Almost anything being sized is going to leave a few marks, graphite is what I use just in case there are any other thing that can make trouble. One little speck of sand and take up to 20 times it weight of metal is wearing on until it is gone.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the replies. it was brass that I resized. probably a little dirty. I'll clean and polish the die. Its the first time that has happened. I should tumble them a little off the bat to clean-em up.

In Remembrance

Clean brass is easier on dies for sure.

Everything I shoot goes into a tumbler with semi old media for a hour or so. Cleans most of the junk off them and makes them easier to sort for damage. after all Size, deprime, inspect, and any other prep work, one more time thru a second tumbler ( with fresh media and polish). When that gets dirty, it moves to the first tumbler and that tumbler media get thrown out. Seems like my Ar's ( both .223 and 300 blkout) gather a lot of junk from the ground on the empty brass.

Boolit Master
    I always prep my brass before cleaning by depriming in a Lee universal primer and then into a vibration cleaner. If questioning if dirty ,they get a citrus acid bath.
    I'm the King of my castle---anytime my wife's not around
    Life NRA member

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSIUT OF THOSE WHO TREATEN US

Boolit Grand Master

Because I can, I always deprime and citric acid-wash w/SS pins all brass. It's easier to inspect and gets rid of the flash hole debris.
    I once seriously scratched a die trying to size first, but only did it once.
    Trying to save a little time can be expensive, even if you get away with it for a while.
    Last edited by mold maker; 03-26-2017 at 09:57 AM.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

So what lube do you guys recommend? I have this same issue and hope I can polish out the die, but think that it could be an issue with the lube I currently use.

Boolit Buddy
    Imperial case sizing wax has worked well for me. I am not a high volume shooter though.
    Chill45100

Boolit Master
    When I full length size, sometimes I jump between Lee sizing lube, a RCBS lube pad with Hornady liquid case lube on it, and , I think, Hornady Unique hard wax type lube. All work well. I use what ever is within reach at the time. When I size my 30/30 or 30-06, I use a Lee collet die which does not need lube.
    I'm the King of my castle---anytime my wife's not around
    Life NRA member

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSIUT OF THOSE WHO TREATEN US