RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading Everything
Load DataTitan ReloadingWidenersRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: New varmint rifle

New varmint rifle

Awhile back Cabelas had Savage 12FV rifles on sale for $319
    I picked one up in .223

i bought a Cabelas brand 4x16x44 FFP scope with a Christmas tree reticle in Mil/Mil
    I picked up a Boyd's laminate stock with adjustable cheek piece for it.

Almost ground squirrel season here in Oregon.
    Hope to get it put together and shoot it next weekend.
    Here is a pic of the wood.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Master

You should be good to go Waco. Let us know how it shoots when you get it all together.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

I predict fun.

Boolit Master

A friend of mine, who was one of my chemistry professors, recently bought one at that sale price. He called my and asked if I would help his set it up. He came over and we put a scope on it and I measured the jam link. I had already loaded some Nosler 69 grain CCs with 23.0 grains of Varget and left them long until I could measure the jam length. After measuring, I seated the rounds 5 thousandth off the lands. We went to my range. After getting a good zero with the utility stuff, I shot a five shot group. The group measured 3/4" center to center. I thought that was pretty good. My friend shot the next five shot group. It measured 5/8" C-C. I was amazed both at the rifle and at the shooter. This is an out of the box rifle; I cut the tags on it. He is pushing 73 years and is a very infrequent shooter. I know this sounds like I am stretching this but it is the truth. My hat is off to Savage and I am looking for the next sale. Today they are $419 at Cabelas.

Savage is currently making some of the most accurate out of the box rifles out there at very reasonable prices. In the last year and a half, I have purchased 5 od them and have not been disappointed with any of them.
    The only thing you need to watch for on the cheaper ones is if the stock flexes and contacts the barrel. You can either ream the stock out a bit or replace it with a Boyds. Either option gets you an outstanding shooter.

A new rifle and lots of targets is always a good match. Go have fun.

As for Savage rifles - all the ones that I have owned have had pretty decent accuracy.

Boolit Grand Master
    Makes it difficult to consider turning a M98, or such, into a sporting rifle unless you can do all the work yourself...and even then, it may not make sense.
    Don Verna

I have a half dozen savage rifles built on their Precision Target Actions. They may be single shot bolt actions but they are outstanding actions. Greatest plus for the savage actions, is, with one good action and stock. You can be covered for all hunting application. .223 rem barrel for varmints and spring tgt practice. 20 minutes with a go gauge, 308 bolt face, and barrel wrench, you can have a .30 cal barrel mounted for deer season. Wanna try you hand at wildcatting? a phone call to a couple barrel makers and a 250$ barrel will be in the mail. Only thing with the savages is there are two different barrel thread diameter's. one for standard and one for Large ( mostly magnum cartridges). PTA's are large threads, you can still get any cartridge, just have to order correct size. the most versatile action for the workbench gunsmith. ( i've sold or mothballed every remington action I had)

Smk- those single shot actions are great. I recently had the pleasure of shooting a 6
    mm Dasher on that action. I normally don't care for accutriggers but that red bladed one is sweet! Three shots-.17"@ 100yds and three shots in 3-1/4" @440yds had me smiling. That's great for this old wobbly boy! I wish Savage sold unthreaded blanks for custom projects.
    Best, Thomas.

Boolit Buddy
    Pretty stock.

I have this old, long action Savage 116 in .223 that I bought at least 25 years ago. Still very accurate.

Mine likes: 55 grain Ballistic Tips & H335.

Last edited by Larry in MT; 03-28-2017 at 04:19 PM.

Boolit Master
    I've got its brother 116 in 308 I bought about 18 years ago shoots great with lead and jacketed trigger adjusted down to 3.5 lbs .

Boolit Master
    Count me in on the "Brotherhood of the Nut"!!

I got into a long action and bought the action wrench and nut wrench, another long action and three short ones a lot of factory barrels and a few converted ones and it just never ends!

I won't be doing away with my Remies anytime soon but the Savages sure took up the space where 24/47 Mausers were intended to occupy.

Viva accurate rifles

Viva Savage!

Three 44s

Quote Originally Posted by waco View Post
    Awhile back Cabelas had Savage 12FV rifles on sale for $319
    I picked one up in .223

i bought a Cabelas brand 4x16x44 FFP scope with a Christmas tree reticle in Mil/Mil
    I picked up a Boyd's laminate stock with adjustable cheek piece for it.

Almost ground squirrel season here in Oregon.
    Hope to get it put together and shoot it next weekend.
    Here is a pic of the wood.
    I saw the same ad and tried to buy one at the KCKS store. They told me it was not in stock, but would be at the store in 7-10 days.

3 weeks later and still no rifle. Customer service said it was on 'Back Order', even though I was assured the day I made my purchase, such was not the case.

Cancelled the order yesterday, as it appeared 'Back order' might well last to infinity.

Glad to know someone managed to get their hands on one. I think I'm done with Cabela's.

Quote Originally Posted by LAH View Post
    Shooting report yet?
    I had a chance to shoot this last weekend. Plain jane Hor. 55gr sp with H4895
    Shooting prone at 100 gave 10 shot groups around 1.2-1.4 inches
    Not too bad for Cheap bullets and random powder charge with a factory OAL
    Need to work up a load. I'm happy so far!
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Boolit Grand Master
    Oh Baby__that is one sweet looking rifle.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Quote Originally Posted by waco View Post
    I had a chance to shoot this last weekend. Plain jane Hor. 55gr sp with H4895
    Shooting prone at 100 gave 10 shot groups around 1.2-1.4 inches
    Not too bad for Cheap bullets and random powder charge with a factory OAL
    Need to work up a load. I'm happy so far!
    I'll call that a good start.

I did something similar with mine.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image00001.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	192525
    It wears a Leupold AR223 scope in a Boyd's Thumbhole varminter stock.
    With 69 grain Sierra matchkings it does around 1.25 inch consistently for 5 shots at 200 yards. It also likes the Hornady 53 grain VMax. With that one it will occasionally do half inch groups at 200 yards if I am having a good day shooting with no wind.
    This just gives you an idea of what you can expect from your rifle after you get some loads worked up.

That's some fine shooting Tazman! I'm looking forward to shooting sage rats in the next few weeks!