Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad Data
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uberti 1873 Cattleman "Antique" questions

Boolit Master

Uberti 1873 Cattleman "Antique" questions

A man down the road has an unfired Uberti Cattleman 1873 "Antiqued" revolver for sale. He wants $350.00 for it. I looked it over, worked the action, really didn't see any flies on it.

The Antiqued cattleman is the gun Uberti sells that looks like it was left out on the loading dock for a couple of weeks to make it look like it is 100 years old.

Anywho, does anybody have one of these, and if so is $350 a decent price and are there any issues to look out for?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    A man down the road has an unfired Uberti Cattleman 1873 "Antiqued" revolver for sale. He wants $350.00 for it. I looked it over, worked the action, really didn't see any flies on it.

The Antiqued cattleman is the gun Uberti sells that looks like it was left out on the loading dock for a couple of weeks to make it look like it is 100 years old.

Anywho, does anybody have one of these, and if so is $350 a decent price and are there any issues to look out for?
    I believe Doguguy here on the forum has one, and really likes it. His does have very large cylinder throats and required a fat boolit to shoot well.

Boolit Grand Master

It's well under the current GB price http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx...%22Old+West%22
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 03-11-2017 at 05:53 PM.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the info!! I believe I may pick it up as it is undervalued (thanks M-Tecs!), but dang if it doesn't rank up there with buying jeans with holes already in them!

Boolit Master
    A friend has a Shiloh Sharps with an "antiqued" finish. The case colors are dulled and in some spots barely there.

As long as a gun is new anyway, I'd rather buy it as such and "antique" it myself by use and handling, but to each his own. The price on the Uberti is very reasonable. If you don't positively dislike the finish, and it's in good working order, it sounds like a bargain.

Perma-Banned

It is worth the price...if you don't buy it and it is a 44 special...let me know about it.

Thanks

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I'd snatch it fast. It is definitely undervalued.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master
    that is a good price I would by it in a heartbeat. even though I do not like the antique finish. they do charge more for that finish. I just got a uberti for $450 today. it is a 7 1/2 barrel in .38-40. and it shoots great tried it soon as I got home.

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bent Ramrod View Post

As long as a gun is new anyway, I'd rather buy it as such and "antique" it myself by use and handling, but to each his own.
    He said it was already "antiqued" and it is a lot cheaper than buying a regular new gun and antiquing himself.

Boolit Master
    It is the Old west model which has a factory applied antique finish. By antique finish it looks like somebody left it outside to long, then buried it in the yard out of spite after realizing they left their gun outside...

I have a colt that is 90 years old, and it's antique finish looks really good. Uberti needs to change the name to "Abused" finish, lol.

I plan on picking the gun up tomorrow. For a beater, who cares what happens to it, fully functional 45 colt revolver I reckon the price is good to go.

Perma-Banned

It is the Old west model which has a factory applied antique finish. By antique finish it looks like somebody left it outside to long, then buried it in the yard out of spite after realizing they left their gun outside...

I have a colt that is 90 years old, and it's antique finish looks really good. Uberti needs to change the name to "Abused" finish, lol.

I plan on picking the gun up tomorrow. For a beater, who cares what happens to it, fully functional 45 colt revolver I reckon the price is good to go.
    It might be a good one to powder coat.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shoot-n-lead View Post
    It might be a good one to powder coat.
    Should I use the shake and bake method? Lol.

I also have some krylon left over from a couple camo projects...

Perma-Banned

Should I use the shake and bake method? Lol.

I also have some krylon left over from a couple camo projects...
    I have seen a couple of guns that guys sprayed with powder...they looked great.

Matter of fact, if I had a static gun, I have a couple of old guns that I would try it on...couldn't hurt'em.

I have one of those and I think there are 2 types. One, has the cylinder pin retained with a screw and the other is retained with a spring loaded pin.

The spring loaded one is over $100 more than the one with the screw retainer I think.

Good luck, post some pics and enjoy.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    My Uberti catalog shows them with a MSRP of $659 so you pay extra for that well worn look! It shows them in 45 Colt and 357 - but that's the Uberti catalog and Cimarron or Taylor may order them in different configurations. The illustration also shows it with the BP frame - i.e. the cylinder pin is held in with the screw instead of the spring cross pin on the 'new frames" - either style is just fine and both work well.

The price you are tailing is a very GOOD price and if it were me, I'd snap it up. I love my Ubertis and all are good quality, good fit and finish and accurate - I have 357 and 45 Colt. While most dealers will sell under MSRP - I highly doubt you will find it in a LGS for that price - if you don't like the finish on it - just pretender's blued or shiny if that's what you like! The ones that I've seen in the "old west" finish look nice.

Boolit Master
    This one is the black powder frame. Instead of a slotted screw to remove the cylinder pin, it is a thumb screw which I think is kind of neat. I'll try it out with 255 gr bullets and see what happens from there. I'm hoping for POA/POI. If not, hopefully it hits low. If it impacts high then I am going to use it to hammer nails and will curse Uberti from this point on.

Boolit Master
    my .38-40 seams to shot to point of aim. at 20 yd. first shot I held at the bottom of a playing card hit low. the other five held center and that is where they went.

That's a damn good price for ANY new Uberti. I'd buy it in a nanosecond. Remember, functionally it's going to be the same as any Uberti.

A few years ago I had one of their Rooster Shooters:

I wanted to keep it so bad, but at the time, they were all but impossible to find, so profit went ahead of pleasure.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Bub
    I have an earlier Uberti 357 with the NY distributor marking and brass frame. A 147 grain round nose bollit and 2.8-3.0 grains of TiteGroup is my load. This gun will out shoot my Ruger three screw 357 hands down. Buy it, excellent price too!

Joe
    "That's bold talk for a one eyed fat man" Lucky Ned Pepper

Boolit Buddy

I had the Beretta version, Stampede also made by Uberti. If you decide that you don't want it, let me know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast