MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: Primers migrated back into pockets while SSWT

The people's republic of Commifornia, in Somerset

Primers migrated back into pockets while SSWT

So I spent a few hours in the garage last night hand De-priming 1000 .40 S&W cases that I bought here in the S&S section. I got through about 800 or so of the 1000 cases, and I guess I forgot to empty the spent primer catcher on my Frankford arsenal hand-held de-priming gun because the primer catcher popped out from the pressure of primers being pushed in when it was almost full. The primer catcher tube spilled into my bucket of de-primed brass. Some we on top, and I got those out, but I didn't want to dig through the bucket of brass to get the primers out as I figured they would separate out after wet tumbling when I put them in the media separator. When I was done washing, I dumped the water, put everything in the media separator, and cranked it to get the SS pins out. When I opened the basket I found about 25 or so cases that looked to be still primed, but the primers were barely in on most, and about 3 or 4 had primers in upside-down, and 3 were all the way in.
    I know that I got the primers out of each one before putting it in the bucket, because I did it by hand, and you can see the decapping pin protruding from the decapping gun when you pull the casing back out.
    They had to have come from the decapping gun, and were pushed back in while SSWT in my Frankford rotary tumbler. I didn't know that there was that much force generated on each case while tumbling. It was enough to push a few primers all the way in.
    Anybody have this happen before?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170311_110245.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	190256Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170311_110157.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	190257Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170311_110032.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	190258Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170311_105944.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	190259Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170311_110433.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	190260

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

I had two stray primers in the last tumble batch. Both found their way back into a pocket, but not all the way. It's apparently Murphy's Law in action.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

I know, that blows me away that several of them were able to find thier way back home.

Boolit Master
    Primers sometimes stick on the decapping pin and when the case is drawn back out the old primer is seated back again just inside the primer pocket. Especially on cases that the primer is really tight in.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

I thought that too, but I de prime by hand, then i look at the head stamp so I actually see every empty primer pocket before I put them in the container. They were empty, then I spilled a bunch on spent primers in the container, then wet tumbled. When I pulled them out there were several that had primers part-way in, some upside down, and some all the way in.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mytmousemalibu View Post
    Primers sometimes stick on the decapping pin and when the case is drawn back out the old primer is seated back again just inside the primer pocket. Especially on cases that the primer is really tight in.
    If the decapping pin is reshaped from symmetrical to a bevel it will help prevent pulling primers back into the pockets. It just takes a touch to a belt or disk sander and then polish the edges soft again. I've done that to several of mine.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Grand Master

Slightly rounding the very tip of the pin will help also. Just removing the edge of the tip is enough.
    Another tip is to taper the end of the shaft on a LEE universal deprimer to allow easier entry into 223 case necks. This will remove some case neck dents at the same time.

Boolit Grand Master

Invarible there will be a primer or two, escape my press and wind up in the bucket with the brass. Nearly always they wind up back part way in a pocket. Just like a smaller piece of brass always nests. All tumblers have a way of doing this.