RotoMetals2WidenersLee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading

Thread: Lube Sizer parts interchange?

Lube Sizer parts interchange?

Before I buy a lube sizer I wanted to know if the sizer and top punches would interchange with no problems?
    I think I want a lyman 450, but have looked at the 4500 also.
    Some of the boolits I want to make and size are from long ago Lyman molds and I would like to know if I got a newer Sizer (4500) would the sizer and top punches made for the 45 and 450 work OK in the 4500?
    That way if I cant fing a new punch and sizer I could find an older used on to make do.
    I have gotten buy for years with alternative ways of sizing my boolits without the use of a lube sizer, but wanted to try one.
    R.

Boolit Master

Lyman and RCBS dies and top punches all interchange.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

And yes, the dies and top punches from the 45 and 450 will fit the 4500.

I don't know much about them, is the 4500 just a bit more user friendly than the 450 and so forth the 45?
    I have only seen them from the internet but the Lyman does appeal to me.
    I have used RCBS, C&H, Lyman, Pacific , Dillon, Lee and other types of dies and loading tools Never really had a preference only how good they worked.
    I have had more stuck cases in Lyman dies than in any other until I started using C&H case lube and never had another in anything.
    Ron

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    They're all friendly, but the newer ones are more robust than the older ones. I like the older 45s better and that's why I have 4 of those on my bench, along with two of the even older Ideal No. 1's.
    But those were made more for lubing with a small amount of sizing. The newer ones will let you put more shoulder into it if you like to cast em big and hard and then size them down. If you really want a boolit cruncher that you can shove the hard ones through, look at the RCBS lubamatic.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

OK, I have a mold that throws a .403 diameter bullet @ 290gr round nose.
    Would it be within a lubesizer's capacity to squeeze that to .387 with a Lyman sizer ?
    Or am I wishful hoping.
    What does a used 45, 450 and a 4500 press sell for? Estimate.
    Ron

Boolit Grand Master

New, they sell in the $140-$160 range. Dies are in the $25-$30 range. Used, usually 1/2 to 2/3 new. In my opinion, you should not size more than a few thousands. I would not try .016. Just my opinion. The linkage on my friends RCBS is stronger than that on my Lyman. The cost is about the same.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ronniet View Post
    OK, I have a mold that throws a .403 diameter bullet
    Would it be within a lubesizer's capacity to squeeze that to .387 with a Lyman sizer ?
    What does a used 45, 450 and a 4500 press sell for? Estimate.
    Remember, that lead that gets sized doesn't get shaved off, it has to go somewhere, and it reshapes the boolit if you size it very much. The nose gets deformed and the flat base isn't flat anymore and the lube grooves flatten out and disappear, and you also add lots of wear and stress to your equipment and your elbow. Just get a new mold if you want a .387, as that is going to morph your boolit shape.
    Normally you only resize .001-.003" and sometimes you might go to .005" on the resize, but that's a stretch. I have seen folks size a .460 down to shoot in their .452 in two steps, but they don't have much lube room left on it, and you're talking about twice that much. If you have a Rockchucker press and a Lee push thru die, you can size it that much, and you won't need a lubesizer because there'll be nothing to lube.

Used 45s go for $55-100 and used 450s are on here from time to time at $85-125. I don't recall seeing a 4500, but you can do a search.
    You won't size more than a thousandth or two with a 45 though.

Boolit Master

New you can check prices at Midway. Used on eBay you can check prices on units that have sold. IMHO having watched used prices you might as well buy a new RCBS.

That being said you're not going to be able to reduce a bullet that much in a lube sizer. You could do it in steps...if you could find all the right diameter sizing dies.

As stated your best bet is to get a mold in the correct size.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

All good information, I have used the Lee sizing dies before , I have had to "re-bore" them to the sizes I need.
    I thought about doing that.
    Another question I see some Star Lube sizers, I don't guess they make these anymore, will the punches and dies from the Lymans fit the star?
    Also who is a good reasonable mold maker?
    You can PM me
    Ron

Boolit Grand Master

They still make star lube sizers. http://www.magmaengineering.com/magma-star-lube-sizer/ They are very good and very fast. I have two of them on my bench.
    If you don't break the handle, it'll crush it through there and size that much, but you won't like what you get. Lyman dies do not fit it.

Accurate Molds can make you a mold to the exact diameter that you wish. And he is very reasonable for a custom mold.

Boolit Master
    Make sure that you don't want/need a Star first, it's just a much better/faster machine, because of the nose first sizing you don't have to worry as much about off centre bullets, that can be a real accuracy destroyer with the Lyman/RCBS.

Thanks for the information for sure.
    Ron

Boolit Grand Master

Don't forget , if a boolit has any kind of flat spot on the nose just use a flat punch.
    Those punches that are a close fit can be made perfect with a dab of epoxy putty or glue or even hot glue will hold a while.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"