Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RepackboxReloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad Data
RotoMetals2

Thread: Work through the pain

Boolit Master

Work through the pain

So I started up my pot and my hot plate to start casting some 350gr HP NOE 452 boolits and some of my new 335gr Accurate mold for my .375 H&H. Well my hotplate, that had served many faithful years, died a smokey death... It has been many years since I had to cast without a hotplate, especially for hollow point molds. I had forgotten how good I had it, my reject rate was MUCH higher than I'm used to. Time to look for another one this weekend, any recommendations?

I got mine at 2nd had store - still working fine.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master

One that works? Sorry, couldn't resist......
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Buddy
    I bought mine five or six years ago at Wallgreens drug $9.99. Its a small single unit, has seen a lot abuse/use.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian" Henry Ford

Boolit Grand Master
    Just goes to prove the old story that electrical and electronic items really work off of captured smoke. You let the smoke out and they don't work anymore.

Just kidding, I know they really have miniature chipmunks running on a wheel.

Robert

Solid top of meta is nice for molds, runs around $20 at local big dept. stores. Some of the older ones your knob adjusts the current to adjust the temp. Newer ones the knob adjust a thermostat that will cycle on and off to maintain a temp. My preference for melting is those older style, hot lead I think tends to "fool" the thermostats somewhat. For molds the sold iron tops are what I like. For the two I have like $30 invested.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

RogerDat: +1.

Boolit Grand Master

I just bought one at Walmart for just under $10. They usually stock about 3 models and I bought the cheapest one.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    Just goes to prove the old story that electrical and electronic items really work off of captured smoke. You let the smoke out and they don't work anymore.

Just kidding, I know they really have miniature chipmunks running on a wheel.

Robert
    I do computers for a living and have used "you let the magic smoke out" many times lol.

Boolit Master

I don't remember where I got the one that just burned out, it was not a solid top model. I always wished it was, planning on the new one to be solid top. I did use a circular saw blade on it for years but misplaced it when we moved so I've missed having it for the last 7 months.

Banned

I just bought the 10$ one at walmart a few years back.
    I never tried using it for pre-heating a mold, but I have made about 50 lbs of lube on it and lunch a time or two.
    I mostly use it to anneal 30 caliber jackets for swaging anymore.

I expect it to die any day.