RepackboxReloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee Precision

Thread: Lyman sizing die sizing too small?

Boolit Mold

Lyman sizing die sizing too small?

I have the Lyman lubrisizer with heater and have made about 1200 9mm 120gr truncated cone projectiles. They have all already been loaded and shoot great all sized with a .356 sizing die but with some leading I got to looking for the problem and I have found that my sizing die is actually sizing them to .3555 I did pull a bullet to be sure it's not be sized by the case and went ahead and measured a fresh sized one to get that measurement. I just want to know if this is standard? If I buy a Lyman .357 die will they come out .3565?

Not complaining as they do all shoot great and accurate and the leading isn't bad to me I'm just curious about the sizing dies. I do get that technically if we're rounding then they are .356 Has anyone else noticed this?

Boolit Master
    Have you measured with more than one micrometer? I have Lyman H&I dies in .356, .357 and .358 and they are spot on as I measure. It's been a very long time since the .356 or .357 were used. I load for 6 different 9MM's and size to .358 for all.

Boolit Grand Master

Better still is to use your Michrometers as comparators in conjuction with a set of pin gages. Measure .356 pin then bullet. Otherwise it a simple matter to polish out .0005-.001 from the die.

Boolit Mold
    How do you polish out some and keep it round?
    i just ordered a .357 die but I'll double check the sizing with another micrometer.

It is common to have off the shelf bullet sizing dies not be spot on the marked dimension. We you discovered what we all have realized in due time. I once bought three .313 Lyman dies trying to find one that sized bullets .313. I finally had to have Buckshot make me one and it was spot on.

I bought my first Lyman .452 dies back about 1962. I sized many thousands of bullets with the die, until one day I measured the bullets. That Lyman die was giving me .453 bullets. I never knew it and as happy as a clam at high time.

The salient fact is that if it is working for you keep at it.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    How to hone a size die
    by Buckshot
    Oft times we find ourselves needing a bit more girth in a bullet to please a particular firearm. And, as
    sometimes happens the size we need isn't available or we don't want to pay for the custom manufacture of
    one. You can do this yourself and accomplish very accurate results for just a few cents worth of materials
    (not counting the size die) and a bit of time.
    What you will need:
    1) A size die that is as close as possible to what you want
    2) A length of steel rod that is close to 3/4 of the diameter of the existing die, and long enough to
    protrude at least 2" beyond both ends of the die.
    3) Wet or dry emery paper of 320, 400, and 600 grit. If you do need to remove more than a couple of
    thousandths you should also include 220 grit. Actually the 400 will finish the inside well enough, but
    hitting it with a bit of 600 sure slicks it up.
    4) Oil. Most any oil will do.
    What you do:
    The paper should be cut long enough to extend out either end of the die, almost as long as the steel rod.
    Wrap your starting coursest grit paper around the steel rod a couple times and apply some oil to the paper.
    Insert the covered rod through the size die. With just your thumb and a couple fingers on each end of the
    rod, roll it up and down your thigh (while sitting) applying only mild pressure. The reason for using a rod
    as large as possible, is to keep from tapering the inside of the die, by having a slender rod bend under
    pressure.
    This will get your pants leg fairly well oiled up, so use old pants. Or you can staple a bit of cloth to a
    length of wood. Most any surface that the die can turn on is fine. I use a piece of mud flap screwed to a bit
    of 2x4, and clamp it in the vise, and it's a good working height.
    Roll the steel rod occasionally as only a small portion of the paper is in contact with the interior of the
    die. You should also swap the die end for end every now and then to make sure the metal removal is as
    even as possible. Remember the throat of the die is tapered to admit the bullet and we're only wanting to
    open up the actual sizing portion of the die.
    When you check your work you don't need to put the die back in the press. Just drill a hole in a board
    bigger than the bullet and place the die over it. Place a bullet in the die and tap it through. Remember to
    leave a bit of metal to remove for your polishing down to final size with the finer grit paper. The first
    time I did this I just took it down to where I wanted it without thinking of the finish. It works, but you do
    need a bit more effort to get the bullet in and out, and it just isn't the right way to do it!
    Your existing plunger will still be fine in the honed out size die, unless you opened it up several
    thousandths. Even then it may still work fine, but you'll need to pay more attention to the lube consistancy
    and the amount of pressure you exert on the lube reservoir.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_h View Post
    How do you polish out some and keep it round?

...SNIP
    I have some steel rod scraps, that are about .200" dia.
    I cut a 1.5" slot in the end of a rod that's about 8" long

I cut a strip of wet/dry sandpaper (220 grit) and wrap it around the rod, the strip needs to be the correct length, so when wrapped, it fits very snug in the die. I add some oil, I spin it with a battery drill. I generally go through 3 or 4 pieces of sandpaper. You need to clean up the die and test it periodically, to see the progression, When I get to were I need to be, I use a worn piece of sand paper with flitz to polish.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for this! I'll use this in the future. I hadn't even thought to search to see if it was possible to open them up a bit.

Boolit Mold
    A I got my new Lyman sizing die .357 and I sized a couple and all my bullets seem to measure at .355 or .36 still. I must have bad calipers or am doing something wrong

Update on this^^^^
    I used my other micrometer and got the right readings. My old die was a touch small and my new die is a touch big.
    So I'm good thanks all
    Last edited by Chris_h; 05-23-2017 at 07:39 PM.