Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: 40 S&W bullet selection?

Boolit Master

40 S&W bullet selection?

whats a good bullet/mold for a 40 that yall are having sucess with? Any special problems with this caliber? Thanks

Boolit Master

Lee 145 or 170. I use both in my 10mm pistols. I got rid of all my .40 Short and Weak pistols.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

Boolit Buddy
    The Lee 175 is all I have at the moment. Works well.

Will get something heavier eventually.

Boolit Buddy

I have the Lee 175 as well , no problems with it at all
    I like 1911's and Wheel Guns , Wood Stocks and Blue Metal , Dislike Black on Black and Magazines on Rifles whats this country coming to.
    Amateur Radio Station -KB5SMG- since 1994 Call sign change as of 8-15-17 WB5MG *** My Station now consist of a new * Icom 7300 * along with a new * Ameritron AL-80B Amp * and various other goodies. * Alinco DX70T * HF radio in my truck I can Be emailed at rockinpmanager@gmail.com

Boolit Master
    The Lee 175 TC traditional lube groove is a good inexpensive means to working through cast boolit madness. If with a 6 cavity, one can run a bunch of boolits in a short amount of time too.

Boolit Master

I have both the lee's, the 175 TC I use most as it is a 6 cavity, I do wish they made the other in a 6 cavity. I use them in both the 40 S&W and 400 Cor-Bon.

Boolit Master
    +1 The Lee 175 ... no problems in my Glock
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Master
    The Lee 175 works, but I use an NOE 200/180gr mold. 200gr works good for subsonic in a carbine, with hollow point pins they are 180gr.

Boolit Master

NOE has some 200 gr WFN molds on special this month.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

Boolit Master
    I have felt no need to look beyond the Lee 175 non-TL for my .40.
    It dropped a little undersized when I bought it. nice boolit, shoots great.
    The .40 wasn't hard to set up for, casting and reloading.

Boolit Buddy
    Cast bullets for .40/10mm is not a hot topic on the forum now, but a few years ago there were several threads on the issue. Several veteran casters described it as a very challenging calibre to cast for, with a number of unique obstacles that one might encounter. Some people get lucky and their guns are totally plug-n-play with cast bullets, but apparently for every guy that gets lucky that way another guy gets one that cannot be made to shoot cast well, no matter what. In between are a large number of folks who can get good results eventually, but they have to work for it.

Geargnasher wrote a number of excellent posts on the topic, I suggest you dig them up.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    --BattleRife

Ditto on the Lee 175 gr TC boolits. Work great after Powder Coating.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Buddy
    I use the Accurate Molds 40-165B in the .40 Glock. I've had less trouble getting it to work than I did boolits with the 9mm Glocks. Use a moderate load of Unique or HS-6 and everything works fine. Have it currently running about 1050fps out of a Model 23.

I've seen that 9mm is the challenging bullet to cast for, not the 40. Mostly because the barrel diameters are all over the map from 0.355" to 0.358" while most 40's are very close to 0.400". The six cavity Lee 401-175-TC is very easy to cast bullets with. If detractors bemoan the 40 as being a compromise cartridge, the 40 bullet mold is the ideal balance between being big enough to hold heat unlike the 9mm mold which tends to cool too fast but not too much heat like the 230g 45 ACP mold which tends to get too hot and needs a press into a wet sponge every few casts.

After powder coating them, load 'em up and 'choot 'em. I've cast and shot about 50k in the past 6 years.

Boolit Master

I have a Lee 401-175-TC in 2 cav. Good bullet, but I dislike the mold. I much prefer the NOE 403-180-RF 5 cav mold in aluminum. Much much better mold.

Boolit Grand Master
    LEE 145 gr. I have a LEE 175 trimmed to drop at 163. The NOE 150 FN is one I'd like to try.

SHiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Quote Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post
    I've seen that 9mm is the challenging bullet to cast for, not the 40. Mostly because the barrel diameters are all over the map from 0.355" to 0.358" while most 40's are very close to 0.400". The six cavity Lee 401-175-TC is very easy to cast bullets with. If detractors bemoan the 40 as being a compromise cartridge, the 40 bullet mold is the ideal balance between being big enough to hold heat unlike the 9mm mold which tends to cool too fast but not too much heat like the 230g 45 ACP mold which tends to get too hot and needs a press into a wet sponge every few casts.

After powder coating them, load 'em up and 'choot 'em. I've cast and shot about 50k in the past 6 years.

Look at all those boooooooooolits! That's what I want to see in MY house.