Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationWideners
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MP 359-125 hp 9mm expansion

Boolit Master

MP 359-125 hp 9mm expansion

Have a 359-125hp mold coming from miha. Was hoping to find some info on what alloy to use? I plan to PC this bullet and would like to get reliable expansion.

And do you recommend the way Penta pins or the regular hp pins?

I realize I will have to do some testing and I look forward to it. I would just like to find a good starting point. Thanks
    Ill keep my guns money and freedom you keep the CHANGE!!!

Banned

20:1 would be ideal I would think. I don't care if they expand. I just want them to shoot well and they do.

I have the mold and love it. I like the round pins over the penta. Make sure to heat cycle it at least 5 times before you use it. And back the pins off a 1/2 turn to prevent them from sticking in the mold.

IIRC OS_OK has the stuff for his 38s. ElvisAmmo did 9mm tests with 50/50 and got no expansion from a RN in Gel. I'm running some near pure tests with 40sw, expansion is good on a 3/4" fiber siding backer, when they tumble you get a rectangle vs a sideways TC with L.G. Don't think I need a HP.
    Whatever!

Working on a HP load...'Barrel Lengths Matter'

A bit of a long thread but all the velocities, Pb blends etc. are listed here, empirical evidence with many inputs and best of all pictures and details from other members. You'll see all kinds of tested HP's here.

Learning to blend for a particular HP design and handgun combination is very rewarding...I prefer the round cavities because they mushroom more evenly without the problem of fragmentation from the penta's angled edges inside the HP.

Good Luck . . . Kentuk!
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master

I'll have to come up with some type of good test media that is easy to use and not as expensive as gel.

Banned

Wet paper best second choice. Water is hard on bullets and really provides little real world information, except straight line penetration. For hollow-points/soft-points water is fun but not useful. It will open up bullets that will never ever open open up in real world situations. Water is a good measure of the penetration of non-expnding bullets. But regardless, shooting water is fun.

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    Wet paper best second choice. Water is hard on bullets and really provides little real world information, except straight line penetration. For hollow-points/soft-points water is fun but not useful. It will open up bullets that will never ever open open up in real world situations. Water is a good measure of the penetration of non-expnding bullets. But regardless, shooting water is fun.
    I disagree about the water being useless...when elvis ammo tested my .38 Special SWC-3-wing HP's with the initiator tips they opened exactly in the gel as they did in the water tube.
    He published the live test on you tube and the link was included in my post.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    I disagree about the water being useless...when elvis ammo tested my .38 Special SWC-3-wing HP's with the initiator tips they opened exactly in the gel as they did in the water tube.
    He published the live test on you tube and the link was included in my post.
    I think the initiator tips were the main reason the gel test mimicked the water test. Typically HP open much more in water than gel or less dense/fluid medium.

My experience mimics what others have seen. A hollow point will open more in water that in wet paper, gel, etc. Not useless, but if all your testing was in water, and you expect the same expansion in tissue or other medium, you will be sorely disappointed.

I'm not arguing that it is the same. At the limitations I tested under using 750 FPS as max. I could achieve in the .38 Snubbie and having to make the Pb blend so soft...the results were the same.
    At higher velocities starting around 1,200 FPS I think the water 'harsh' factor goes up exponentially. I haven't tested up there.

I don't want to turn this fellas thread into an argument so I'll just rest my case right here.

Banned

In the video from Elvis that you linked, around minute 11, he shows a disintegrated bullet that he says you sent him from water testing, and concludes that it is most like the disintegrated bullet fired from the 5" revolver. So water disintegrated your bullet and Elvis said the bullet disintegrated from the 5" revolver at the higher velocity was the best comparison. Not sure what we learn other than the alloy used comes apart at higher velocity without the HP being plugged in gel, and at lower velocity, water will disintegrate the bullet alloy used with the HP plugged.

Again, I see results from wet paper as being the best alternative to ballistic gelatin.

I cast that bullet in the 9bhn/10bhn range and pc them. That hp preforms extremely well in a short bbl'd (3.2" bbl) 9mm/1050fps load.

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    In the video from Elvis that you linked, around minute 11, he shows a disintegrated bullet that he says you sent him from water testing, and concludes that it is most like the disintegrated bullet fired from the 5" revolver. So water disintegrated your bullet and Elvis said the bullet disintegrated from the 5" revolver at the higher velocity was the best comparison. Not sure what we learn other than the alloy used comes apart at higher velocity without the HP being plugged in gel, and at lower velocity, water will disintegrate the bullet alloy used with the HP plugged.

Again, I see results from wet paper as being the best alternative to ballistic gelatin.
    It's obvious by your half baked comments and conclusions that you didn't follow the thread...as usual. Your just pulling 'your opinions' right out of your 'spinster' and trying to get them to stick.
    There were 17 pages of changes and slight modifications that went hand and hand in making a successful HP.

Roll out some links of posts you have done and show your empirical evidence so we all can get to be as smart as you Mr mort.

Boolit Master

Let's keep this post going so we can all learn from it. I plan to post my results here. I won't get to do any casting till next weekend.

Banned

You said

"I don't want to turn this fellas thread into an argument so I'll just rest my case right here."

Then on you go.

You said

"when elvis ammo tested my .38 Special SWC-3-wing HP's with the initiator tips they opened exactly in the gel as they did in the water tube.
    He published the live test on you tube and the link was included in my post."

I watched the video. I just stated the facts from the video. Just the facts.

You should be arguing with Elvis, not me. But I forgot you "rested your case" and stated the intention to cease arguing. I was never arguing. Just stating the facts.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by glockky View Post
    Let's keep this post going so we can all learn from it. I plan to post my results here. I won't get to do any casting till next weekend.
    Please do so.

Roll out some links of posts you have done and show your empirical evidence so we all can get to be as smart as you Mr mort.

Sorry for the diversion here Glockky... I'll back out. I just get tired of seeing post like this get ruined by some 'drive by poster' like this mort. Always full of comments but never doing any of the work himself...bla-bla-bla.

Banned

You are one touchy dude. I was minding my own business and you commented on my post. Again, I was minding my own business. I just stated the facts. Nothing personal. You seem to have some weird personality disorder. You said you were not here to argue, and then you become unhinged. Leave me alone. This is not The Pit.

I wonder if small bags of jello or ballistic gel suspended in water would give the benefits of the gel without the cost of a larger amount. Use the mass of water to support the gel.

oh ps, keep up the fight it's entertaining.

Banned

This seems reasonable and affordable

https://www.clearballistics.com/?gcl...C64aArKq8P8HAQ

That doesn't seem affordable to me. 550$ for a torso!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast