Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Repackbox

Thread: Gas anyone made corned venison?

Banned

Gas anyone made corned venison?

I have a few recipes for beef but wonder if you inject the meat. It seems reasonable to get the cure all the way in.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    My Grandma injected the meat. She corned both venison and bear.

I was just a wee kid back then, but DO remember having seconds, if that helps. I partly remember the kitchen discussions among the old women preparing church dinners that corned meat was a way to make the less desirable cuts more tender and flavorful and less gamey.

Beannachtaí na Féile Pádraig oraibh! (Saint Patrick’s Day blessing upon you!)

Attachment 190173Attachment 190174
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    I did a neck with the bone in sometime back. It turned out fantastic! I didn't do it any different than I would have for beef.

Vendor Sponsor

I did it once .. was not impressed .. probably would not do it again
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Banned

I have no gamey taste but seems a little stringy from the slow cooker. Just want to try something different.
    But thanks, it is a small roast, not a brisket so I will inject it too.

Boolit Master

I have made a bunch and boneless venison that is a single muscle group (no bone) doesn't need injected. Just brine for 5-7 days. The cure will go all the way through the meat.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Banned

OK, thank you. I get the hungries seeing Arby's corn beef sandwiches stacked with krout. I haven't had any in a long time and Arby's is too far. I have a slicer to shave thin and stack.
    I am sick of burgers.
    Carol makes hamburger helper but I would rather have just the macaroni.
    I got some Omaha steaks burgers and that is the best so far but I can't afford many orders. Maybe once a year.
    Only two things I liked when a kid, a pile of the little sliders at White Castle or a Manner's Big Boy with the special sauce.
    For ice cream it was Isaly's or Bowman, Sealtest sucked. No real ice cream anymore. No real custard either.
    Worst ever today is Burger King onion rings, no onion slices, some powdered junk.

Boolit Master

White Castle, the first place I go when I visit my parents. My kids love them also. Not trying to hijack the thread.

Banned

My gosh, are they still around?
    i was going with Carol long ago and went to the Hot Dog Inn to buy a huge bag of hot dogs to feed the whole family for almost nothing. Great chilly and the works. OH my. grilled, not boiled. I am an old timer that ate good and is why I like this forum. Cast iron and old recipes, fire and wood.
    I worked at Gordon Automotive and up the road was a store with chicken BBQ. Never had money but got some now and then. Crazy good sauce, never seen it again. Were have we gone? I can't even find perfect ribs anymore.

Moderator Emeritus

Culver's has the absolute best fast food onion rings. Beer battered and crispy with real onion!

I need to pick up a corned beef brisket to toss on the smoker. I rub it with the spice packet then slow smoke for8-10 hours until it is tender(thermometer probe slides right through, typically 195 to 200 internal). I cut it in chunks and vac bag it for sandwiches. Slice after thawing so it stays juicy! Best is to let it rest over night before slicing! Basically pastrami at that point but so tasty in a Reuben!

Boolit Master

I've made corned venison, and pastrami venison, but it seemed dry. I really prefer to use domestic critters, with their extra fattiness, for stuff like that.

Boolit Master

I agree C. Latch regarding the pastrami venison. Too dry. But the corned venison cooked in a crock pot of potatoes and vegetables is really moist and tasty. The pastrami layered in with some good ham did real well though on a sandwich.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman View Post
    The pastrami layered in with some good ham did real well though on a sandwich.
    Wow that sounds good right now.

Banned

I corned a couple hind quarters a few years back. Used a spice mix from the meatman.com and injected them. Turned our real good.

I make it every year, yes I inject the brine. You need to lard it with some strips of beef fat before curing for the classic corned beef taste but it makes a mean Rubin.

Boolit Master
    Love the Reuben sandwiches. I do the corned beef the way Mary does it. Learned it from one of her posts a year or more ago. We also take that frozen smoked corned beef and slice it and put it in a sandwich together with slices of tri-tip.

Never corned venison.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789