RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: New Ruger SR9

New Ruger SR9

I drove home with a new Ruger SR9 in 9mm yesterday . ( Sorry for the typo in the topic)
    1) I'm back to work after 8 months on the beach. I wanted to celebrate.
    2) I did not have a hi-cap 9mm
    3) The SR9 has a reputation for digesting just about anything you put in it.
    4) I've run low on cast lead projects. 9mm was on my list. I tried experimenting with my Walther P1-P38 and I could not get it to cycle lead rounds consistently. It likes FMJ's and that's it.
    5) For concealed carry, I've been happy with my .45 ACP and my 357 Mag Ruger LCR, but everyone says hi-cap 9mm's are the shizz. I thought I would try one.
    6) Outside of the Walther P1-P38, I did not own a 9mm. I have dies, and all the fixings, and I just came into a butt-load of 9mm once-fired brass.

By the time I came up out of the basement this morning for breakfast, I had the barrel slugged (It measures somewhere between .355" and .356" btw) I had the bore polished and the first coat of Dyna Bore Coat on.

So while the DBC is drying, I thought I'd come up here and wish y'all a Happy New Year and ask:

1) What do y'all like to run through your 9mm's? I'm especially hoping for some 125-ish grain suggestions. I have a large supply of cast lead Lee 358-125-RF's
    2) What do y'all recommend for conceal carry ammo?
    3) I've got Universal and Titegroup on the shelf right now. Are their any powders that are going to really make this 9mm do tricks that I should be trying to get or is my current inventory sufficient?

My long term goals are:
    1) keep a large batch of cheap cast lead plinkers around
    2) find a suitable conceal carry ammo
    3) Duplicate #2 with a cast lead practice round.
    Last edited by JonB_in_Glencoe; 03-13-2017 at 11:00 PM. Reason: fixed title

I shoot 124 Gold Dots for duty use. I dont carry cast for CCW. Good velocity and excellent accuracy.

4.5 gr H Universal
    Set to 1.125 COL

I also load some using 700X. 4.2 gr. Same COL. They are both below the max charge but run and shoot flawlessly in both my Rugers.

Thanks for the comeback.

I'm not going to carry cast for my concealed carry load, but I figure I can come close to duplicating what I'm going to carry in lead, so I'll have cheap practice rounds.

4.5 grains of Universal sounds about right.

In general (but not always) a cast load will shoot lower pressures the an equivalent jacketed load. You may need to play with it a little to obtain similar recoil and points of impact. Or it could be close enough, You just have to compare.

And...did you mean SR9, or the econo model of the SR9, the 9E? I never heard of an SR5
    Last edited by buckshotshoey; 01-03-2017 at 09:27 AM.

Drat. What a typo! I meant SR9

Moderator Emeritus

I've been thinking of getting a inexpensive 9mm semi-auto pistol for a while. I haven't owned a 9mm for a while now, and have been thinking of the Sccy or a Taurus, either is priced in the $250 area, but I'd prefer a full size.

I always liked the Ruger P89, that I use to have, it was my IPSC League gun...and heard good things about the SR9 series, I hadn't know of the 9e version til today ...as today, I got a post card from River Valley Arms & Ammo, and it listed the Ruger 9e "On Sale" for $345. I did a quick bit of research, reading a few reviews and decided it'd be a gun I'd like better than the Sccy or Taurus, and that price is pretty good for a brick and mortar store, but that FFL is a bit of a drive from Glencoe. Lucky for me, a local farm store/FFL has a large selection of new plastic guns and will match prices. So, today I came home with a 9e.

I'll start a new thread with my full review, after I get it to the range and shoot some boolits through it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

On two occasions I nearly bought an sr9. Sadly both times that chamber indicator turned me off so bad to nix the buy. Although the 9e model is very tempting, cheaper too.
    It's only hubris if I'm wrong.

Boolit Master
    I bought 2 Ruger 9e pistols prior to the election, along with 10 17 Rd magazines. I have the standard black model, and the Davidsons exclusive with the red camo frame. They are well built, and accurate.

New Ruger SR9

I have had a ruger stainless sr9c for the last three years. I bought a ruger 9e two weeks ago. I like them both and dont really have anything bad to say about them. Ruger costumer service is top notch also. Almost bought the RAP in 9mm but, the mags arnt interchangeable between the SR series. I didn't want to buy new 17 round mags as I already had three of the 17 rd ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus

I was worried Ruger factory mags would be expensive...and they are if ordered from Ruger. I found and ordered a package of two 17rd factory mags for $35 from a site called grabagun. That's about the same price as the aftermarket mags.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

I love my SR9. It'll swallow anything I've fed it BUT 150 gr Keith boolits. Mine shoots 147gr Magnus from Midsouth Shooters Supply and 3.8grs of Green dot that chronoed 975fps. 6 grs of Blue Dot and that boolit went 1061fps for a 15 shot ave. That's a pretty powfull' load in a 9mm but the SR9 handles it well with no feeding or pressure signs whatsoever. Mine slugs .3567. It's not a "tack driver" but in a home defense situation, I'll take reliability any day over tack driving! Good luck with yours.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!