Titan ReloadingPBcastcoInline FabricationLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load DataWideners
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting Serious Now

Guy La Pourque
    This blow tube thing has me perplexed.

That's all fine n dandy for my big bull barrelled roller and I will mop it too, I suppose.

But I have my big 1876 repro lever gun running on the holy black too - the guys aren't blowing those guns too, are they? How many rounds can you go before your gun bungs up from the fouling? I know my .54 muzzle loader turned into a bear after about five shots with light charges and as little as two or three with really heavy charges of powder...

You can make a blow tube with a 90 deg. fitting on the back if you really want to, but I duplex load my levergun ammo so I can keep shooting. Yeah, it's cheating but really works well. You can use the right bullet, good powder, good lube, etc and shoot quite a bit anyway. But since I use the leverguns for silhouette matches, I need it to fire 40 rounds without fouling out so a touch of smokeless goes a long way.

-Nobade

Boolit Master
    If using the Lee 405 grain Hollow Base Bullet,I have found that it is best loaded straight onto the Powder since you do,nt want anything blowing into the Hollow.I used that bullet for quite a while then switched to the Postel bullet at 535 grains.I found the 405 Grain was drifting when there where high Winds otherwise it was good on still days.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Col4570 View Post
    If using the Lee 405 grain Hollow Base Bullet,I have found that it is best loaded straight onto the Powder since you do,nt want anything blowing into the Hollow.I used that bullet for quite a while then switched to the Postel bullet at 535 grains.I found the 405 Grain was drifting when there where high Winds otherwise it was good on still days.
    I'd second that. Anything that lodges in the cavity can lodge off-centre, or fall out part-way downrange.

With a hard alloy and bullets which don't quite seal the grooves, they may not upset to do so. In this situation, when the base is flat, I would call the grease cookie or well-saturated felt superior to card wads alone. I'd want a tightly fitting and substantial card between that and the bullet base though, to reduce the chances of momentary adhesion.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12