WidenersTitan ReloadingPBcastcoMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Stretching that 44 mag case

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    following this one. I have a cabin in snake country and would love to have shot loads for the .44 mag. Turning .303 into full length .44 brass for shot has me thinking. Load data, techniques, and photos would be a treat.
    725, are you still here?

Boolit Master
    Finished................. This is the finished round. 150 gr. Of 7-1/2 shot. TEST FIRED 13, ALL WORKED WONDERFUL.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0828172253_Burst01_resized.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by obssd1958 View Post
    I've been cutting down .444 cases and .303 Brit cases. I also use a cutdown .410 shotgun wad for the shot. Top it off by crimping a piece of card stock, cut to size, over the shot, and a few dribbles of candle wax to hold it in place.
    Could you a hot glue gun to replace the candle wax!!! ....Just a question ????? Ol Deuce
    Do the Best with What you have !

Boolit Master
    I wish to recognize IllinoisCoyoteHunter, for making a roll crimp die for this shot load project. He did an awesome job. Thank you sir.

Frosted Boolits

Glad I could help. Enjoy!
    My Feedback : http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...iscoyotehunter

An armed society is a polite society.

the BB knows

Boolit Master
    i got 2 rattle snakes last weekend with my shot loads. their rattles were on strike.

Boolit Grand Master
    triggerhappy243: I'm still here . Been traveling a bit, building some out building structures, getting several friends stuff up to speed, ............... It never ends and it always seems I let my stuff percolate on the back burner. . Just got back to your report on your efforts & successes. Way to go! I plan on following in your footsteps and use the .303 as a starting point.

ARRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHH............... the old lady neighbor just called and has a downed tree over the driveway !!!!!!!!!!! It never ends. I should be used to this type of luck. This project is on my bucket list.

Boolit Master
    The 5 in 1 blank cases do indeed make good shot loads because while sized small enough to fit in the 44-40, 38-40, 44 mag, and 45 colt , they do so because the loads for shot are lower pressure loads.
    They only hold 1/3 oz of shot or 146 grains of lead weight.
    5 grains of Bullseye or 6grs of wst is the recommended charge weight for this load.
    I think the 303 brit case has been said to be sized too small in diameter to fit 45 colt chamber, but just right for a 44 chamber.
    I think the .303 brit can be used in the 45 colt for shot the same way since it will be used for a low pressure shot load too.
    In fact it has been used this way for years by many shooters in the 45 colt revolver especially so since they started making those plastic wads for .410 shotshells..
    You just need to remember to put an overpowder wad under the smaller .410 plastic wad or the powder will leak past the wad and ruin the load when fired.
    You also can load a bit more shot in the 303 case, but resist hotrodding the load by adding a bigger powder charge.
    The .410 wad at lower pressure will slide out the barrel without getting mashed into the rifling if you keep the pressure low
    You don't want the shot charge to spin!
    Last edited by Alferd Packer; 05-24-2020 at 12:13 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    OK, I wanted to make some 44 Mag shot shells, and I had hoped to put plastic wads in the cartridge to protect the bore.

I ordered the 445 Super Mag brass, which is 44 Mag brass, except about 0.300" longer.
    Of course, I did not look at the cylinder before I ordered,,,
    The cylinder has a step in it, the 445 brass will not go into the 44 MAG cylinder any further than the 44 Mag shell goes.

So, I guess I need to "neck down" the 445 Super Mag brass for the last 0.300" of the cartridge length?
    I think I read that the 10MM size die will do that?

Anyways, it seems like I can not use the 410 wad in the brass, if it is necked down?

More research is needed, I guess, unless someone can help with more details as to what approach I should take.

Please HELP!! Thanks,,,

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetMk View Post
    OK, I wanted to make some 44 Mag shot shells, and I had hoped to put plastic wads in the cartridge to protect the bore.

I ordered the 445 Super Mag brass, which is 44 Mag brass, except about 0.300" longer.
    Of course, I did not look at the cylinder before I ordered,,,
    The cylinder has a step in it, the 445 brass will not go into the 44 MAG cylinder any further than the 44 Mag shell goes.

So, I guess I need to "neck down" the 445 Super Mag brass for the last 0.300" of the cartridge length?
    I think I read that the 10MM size die will do that?

Anyways, it seems like I can not use the 410 wad in the brass, if it is necked down?

More research is needed, I guess, unless someone can help with more details as to what approach I should take.

Please HELP!! Thanks,,,
    SweetMk, I use 303 brit brass, cut just short of cyl. length. 40 S&W carbide sizer down a little ways. then they will chamber just fine.

Boolit Master
    Have you considered charging the case and inserting the wad before you neck the case down?. for subsequent loadings you could probably get away with expanding the neck just enough to get the wad in on top of the powder charge, then re-necking. A 410 bore wad guide might get the wad started, then use a 1/4" dowel, maybe even an unsharpened pencil, to push the wad through the guide & neck.
    Literacy should not be considered optional in computer based communication.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by obssd1958 View Post
    I've been cutting down .444 cases and .303 Brit cases. I also use a cutdown .410 shotgun wad for the shot. Top it off by crimping a piece of card stock, cut to size, over the shot, and a few dribbles of candle wax to hold it in place.
    That's what I've been doing. 30-40 Krag works too just looks kinda weird with a "reverse Taper" after being used in my old stevens/sears

Boolit Master

.41Mag should work in a revolver. the reason they use 10mm for the .45 shot shell is it goes up into the rifling of the barrel in an auto.......
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Mold
    I have used the 30-40 Krag case for cylinder length cases in my .44 Ruger SRH. Been a while since I played with them.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123