RepackboxPBcastcoWidenersInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: Affordable custom sizer die ???

Boolit Master

Affordable custom sizer die ???

Just out of curiosity, is there a company/s that a person can send a few fired cases to and have a sizer die made for an affordable price?
    LEE comes to mind, as it seems I have read somewhere that they do that. The die in question would be for a shortened 460 S&W case fireformed to fit the 45 Colt cylinder for shotshell loadings. Probably not economically practible, as a person probably wouldn't be shooting to many of these cartridges unless they lived in bad snake areas.
    Any information?
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Boolit Master
    Nothing wrong with that idea . But you could buy quite a few shot capsules for the cost of a custom die if you can find someone to make it.
    https://www.speer.com/bullets/shot_c...s/19-8785.html

Boolit Master
    In the past, I've used the .357 diameter Speer shot capsules with satisfaction. 45 cal should be even better. Ballistic Products, MN often has #9 shot that works well for snake loads.

Boolit Grand Master

Have you ever tried using a 44 magnum die to neck size? Often I think those dies size to .451". It might be tight in the throat, but it is worth a shot if you have the die already.

Boolit Master

msm
    In my post on 4/6/21 "460 cases for 45 Colt shot loads" I go into detail about my R&D for my shot loads. I did buy a set of .44 dies for that exact purpose. Just thinking outside the box on a custom sizer die, to cut back on the multiple steps to make the cases work.
    Last edited by littlejack; 04-24-2021 at 02:17 AM.

Boolit Master

one light
    You are correct about the 45 capsules being a cheaper route to go. I guess my issue is, that I have so many projects to play with, I couldn't decide which one to start on. So, I decided to start a new one.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by littlejack View Post
    one light
    You are correct about the 45 capsules being a cheaper route to go. I guess my issue is, that I have so many projects to play with, I couldn't decide which one to start on. So, I decided to start a new one.
    Are we related?

Boolit Master

lol

Boolit Grand Master

At one time CH4D made custom case forming and reloading die sets from three fired cases but that was way before the Pandemic and buying Panic of everything reloading related ... I'm sure they are super swamped and backed up for who knows how long ... and the service never was " cheap" ... Custom anything = big bucks and a long waiting period.

The waiting list for a custom Randall Made Knife I ordered is ... six (6) years .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master
    For such low volume loads as this, a person may be money ahead to buy one of the cheap Chinese lathes and learn to make their own.

It would come in handy for odd ball H&I dies too.

Robert

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I know this isn't even remotely like an answer to the question , but bear with me .
    A number of years ago I picked up a few RP 410 cases at the range . I cut them flush with the cylinder face of a RBH 45 Colts . Used data for a 300 gr load and over powder cards . I formed a 4 or 5 point crimp and set it with the expander die then a 45 taper crimp . A roll crimp would be better and more efficient a regular wad cut down to a half oz or without petals at all would serve best . Primers are a pain but not too bad .

Consult brass 410 loads for 303 conversion for securing over shot cards .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Grand Master
    Rather closely related, I got info from somebody here on how to use .303 Brit in my .44 mag for snake shot. Briefly, trim the brass to just under the cylinder length, FL size in the .44 die, size the neck further with a 10mm die to conform to the .44 mag chambering, and fire form. The fire formed case presents the correct max dimensions for future case production. Load and finish of with an overshot card glued in with Elmer's White Glue. Worked fantastic. Some minor chambering issues related to the rim easily corrected on the lathe. YMMV. Good luck

Boolit Master

Harter66:
    Yes, in the past, I have made shotshell loads with 410 hulls. I used 6.6 grains of HP-38, one over powder wad, 185 grains of # 10 shot and a over shot wad with super glue. I still have a few of these loads left. They work very well, AND, they don't drag on the recoil shield after firing.
    725:
    I am in the R&D stage of my 460 cases for the shotshell loads. Shorten cases to suit with a tubing cutter, and finish with a case trimmer.
    My cases were already sized and de-primed so I skipped this step. Size neck to desired length, using .44 Special/Magnum sizer die. Prime case. Load case to suit with powder type and charge, over powder wad, shot size to suit and weight. Top off with over shot wad, or gc, and glue. I crimp with a Lee .410 push through using the factory bevel at the base.
    Last edited by littlejack; 05-09-2021 at 04:36 PM.