Lee PrecisionPBcastcoWidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline FabricationReloading Everything
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 38 Spcl. Shotshells - CCI vs "Home made"

Boolit Buddy

38 Spcl. Shotshells - CCI vs "Home made"

I did some recent testing with some shotshells that I just reloaded, and also some factory CCI 38 spcl. shotshells.
    I shot them from my Ruger SP101 2-1/4" barrel.

I used 38 spcl. cases
    5.0 grains of HP38
    90 grains of #7-1/2 shot (from a shotgun shell)

The CCI shotshell uses #9 shot, as I recall.

Here is a couple of pictures showing the difference between the two:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ruger SP101 - 8 ft. - CCI Shotshell - resized.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	284277 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ruger SP101 - 8 ft. - Shotshell reloads resized.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	26.6 KB 
ID:	284278

On the left is the CCI Shotshell. On the right is my "home made" shotshell result.
    Click on a picture and it should expand to a bigger picture.

There is a definite difference in the two shot sizes.
    The #7-1/2 shot gave a tighter group. Perhaps because of the heavier shot.

Anyway, I am happy with these and thought you folks would be interested.
    1A - 2A = -1A

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for sharing. I haven't been able to find the Speer shot capsules for a long time. Did you use capsules, or some other method?

Boolit Master
    For my use, the 357 speer shot shells are not stout enough for my varmints.. will roll a Squirrel, or a similar size rat... but they do Not stay Down.. the 44Spl is the smallest ctg, with the Speer capsules... loaded with no.9's, that will plant a fair sized barn rat.. and smokes squirrels.. Yer critters size may vary!!

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Thanks for posting. Your shell is getting great results. I also load my own and prefer No.8 shot.

Attachment 284281Attachment 285089Attachment 285090
    Last edited by Outpost75; 06-24-2021 at 12:55 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

I loaded some in .357 cases with only 2 grns of Red Dot for a friend in Kentucky and gave them to him. I had read that the lighter charge helps keep the pattern tighter. He hates snakes and lived very near Kentucky Lake. They must have worked. He reported many dead snakes along the shore of the lake. He was using a 4" Smith & Wesson which I now have. Sadly he is no longer with us.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bull-Moose View Post
    Thanks for sharing. I haven't been able to find the Speer shot capsules for a long time. Did you use capsules, or some other method?
    The CCI Shotshells that were used were the factory rounds that you buy....if you can find them.
    If you can find them, CCI also sells the plastic empty "capsules" that you can load yourself and press them into the casing.

For my home made shotsells I used:
    38 spcl. cases
    Added 5.0 grains of HP38 powder
    I then topped that with a thin cardboard disk that I punched out using a 3/8" hole punch.
    I used a pin punch that just fit into the case to "tamp down" the cardboard disk and powder.
    I then added 90 grains of #7-1/2 shot
    Topped that off with another cardboard disk and tamped that down also.
    Then finished it up with a heavy crimp to roll the case mouth over enough to hold everything in.
    1A - 2A = -1A

Boolit Master

I have used Speer Shot Cups and "rolled my own" with out. I went ahead and sucked it up years ago and bought a 5lb bag of Lawrence 12# Shot. Talk about shredding snakes.

Boolit Bub

Has anyone tried the shotshell kits from sagesoutdoors? Ive been looking at them hard for a while now for .44 mag and .357. Im debating on charge weight and the metal disc vs cardboard disc between powder and shot column and overwad? Any educated oppinions or first hand recomendations?
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk, that will teach you to keep your mouth shut!"
    - Earnest Hemmingway

" I'd rather be lucky than good, GET SOME!" Mr. Revolver" - Jerry Miculek

Boolit Master
    Rizzo,

Excellent post! Here in northcentral PA we have rattlers and a few copperheads. In the .38 Special case I found the load of Unique, a gas check and a dose of #6 or 7.5 shot and another gas check and a crimp makes my snakes turn themselves into knots.

I found some shot capsules did not shatter enough on firing to give a good pattern at 10-20 feet. The gas checks sealed the deal perfectly.

Adam
    Last edited by Adam Helmer; 06-12-2021 at 12:02 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    I believe one of the members here (LarryGibson?) made shot capsules from milk jugs. Been a long while so not 100% sure.

BTW enjoy these kinds of posts.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    I make my own #8 shot and load 38/357, 10MM, 44Spl/Mag and 45 LC with card over powder and inverted GC over shot using an appropriate load of Bullseye. Perfect snake and small vermin medicine.
    COME AND TAKE IT
    Let’s Go Brandon!!!!

Boolit Buddy
    I make these by sharpening a cartridge shell inside and out with a champher tool. Then use the cartridge to punch out paper disks with a rubber hammer and soft pine wood, use the weight of paper that primer sleeves are made of. Size your brass, 5 grains of 231 (for 38 spl), push down a paper disk, fill almost to the rim with 9 shot, then another paper disk. Seal with super glue and let stand to cure... no crimp. Very mild, almost no felt recoil, but at 6 feet a snake, rat, whatever has no chance. At reload, the brass will have no signs of the glue and not even really need to be resized.

Chris

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Superglue has good tensile strength, almost no shear strength, that's why. Lots of other options that would work as well.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Red.44 View Post
    Has anyone tried the shotshell kits from sagesoutdoors? Ive been looking at them hard for a while now for .44 mag and .357. Im debating on charge weight and the metal disc vs cardboard disc between powder and shot column and overwad? Any educated oppinions or first hand recomendations?
    i've used these.
    i like the gas check looking disc over the shot.

i use 7 1/2 shot.
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

I load both the Speer caps and my own like was stated with the cards punch out but I use a gasket hole punch. I also use it for shotgun reloading . I put 2 cards over the powder and then one over the shot . I used super glue and then with Elmers . I also use the card way for my 32s and 44 spl and mag .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Red.44 View Post
    I have used cardboard (actually pieces cut from business cards)

Worked like a charm. Light loads are better...no advantage to more powder and the higher the velocity, the more the shot dispersion because of the rifling.

Titebond 3 on top over shot card and a crimp keeps it in place well.

Careful for hard backdrops/rocks/stumps. If you are very close the shot won't have enough ump to penetrate wood ect...and will ricochet back on you. Watch your eyes

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Nice! I have been looking into loading some of these up. I have a pound of Green Dot and thinking about working up a load for this. I was thinking trying it and loading some in a .357 case with cardboard wads and 7 1/2 shot.

I am thinking maybe 4.0 grains, or do you think that might be a little heavy to start?
    MeanDean

Boolit Master

I don't think Green Dot would be the powder of choice for these. They are very low pressure and you most likely will end up with a lot of unburnt powder.

Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    I don't think Green Dot would be the powder of choice for these. They are very low pressure and you most likely will end up with a lot of unburnt powder.
    Well I was trying to use up some old powder I had on hand. What about Clays or Titegroup?
    MeanDean

Boolit Master

The fastest powder you have would be better suited I think. Maybe someone else more knowledgeable than me will chime in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast