RepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWidenersReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication

Thread: Scopes for pneumatic piston air rifles.

Boolit Buddy

Scopes for pneumatic piston air rifles.

I have a Benjamin nitro pistol air rifle in .22 that I picked up a few years ago. The cheap scope gave up on it and I am looking at other scopes now.
    I know a springer air rifle will kill a regular rifle scope in short order due to the direction of recoil. At least that's what I understand.
    Are the piston rifles the same way, or can you use regular scopes on them?
    Thanks in advance.

Boolit Master

Have the same question, and finally found mount for old Benjamin pump air rifle. Anyone use a moderate priced red dot on a springer or air rifle?????
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

Boolit Buddy
    Since my scope gave up I have a truglo red dot on mine that I picked up off of eBay used for less than $20 delivered. It has held up well and is fairly accurate.
    I want to get a scope back on it to wring more accuracy out of it.

Boolit Master
    Whether spring or gas ram, all have the dual recoil impulse. One back and one forward as the piston hits the end of the air chamber on the forward stroke of the piston. PCP/pumpup/or co2 only have recoil in the rear ward motion.

Boolit Buddy
    So the piston will also tear up a regular scope.
    Thanks.

Boolit Master
    The difference between an air gun scope and a regular rifle scope is that the lenses inside the scope are braced for both rear and front recoil impulses on the air gun scope. I have an AR-15 that used to eat scopes within a few years of use. I now use an air gun rated scope on it, and have never had a problem.

Boolit Master
    I have heard that the Weirauch HW 90, which is their big gas ram rifle, is very hard on scopes, I have no experience with that rifle... A Bushnell 4500 and a Vortex are hanging in there quite well on my 2 springers( a TX200 and an HW 97K).

Boolit Master
    "The difference between an air gun scope and a regular rifle scope is that the lenses inside the scope are braced for both rear and front recoil impulses on the air gun scope. I have an AR-15 that used to eat scopes within a few years of use. I now use an air gun rated scope on it, and have never had a problem. "

I've heard of this problem before and that scopes built for use on automatic weapons, especially SMGs like the MP5, were best for use on springers and vice versa.

I'm wondering if the small low powered scope designed to be mounted on the M16 carry handle would work on an air rifle. They used to sell these fairly cheap on the surplus market, as little as 20 bucks once saw one priced at 12 bucks. I don't know if they ever actually issued these. Its long been superseded by much better scopes.