Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad Data
Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which caliber conversion?

The 3 screw 357 Bk was built on a smaller frame than the 3screw 41 BK. I have 1 of each, The 357 cost $68.50 new and the 41 has a s/n in the 5000 range.
    The 3 people a man must be able to trust completely are his gunsmith his doctor & his preacher ..,his gunsmith for his short term health ,his doctor for long term health ,and his preacher incase one of the others mess up.

Boolit Master
    The downside to converting a .357 OM to .41 mag is the cylinder is a bit short. If you aren't wedded to Keith bullets, or other long nosed bullets, it is no problem. For myself, I'd use a shorter round like .40 S&W, 10mm, .41 spl., .44 Russian, .44 spl., or .45 Schofield. When you can buy a new .44 Spl. Blackhawk over the counter, that one doesn't make as much sense.

Actually I would make it a .40 S&W or .44 Russian (Starline makes the brass).
    Rule 303

Boolit Master
    I respectfully have to disagree with Lloyd,,, in that there are many older Rugers that command "collector" money.
    RSSE's bring $6000 & up.
    Tri-Color Lightweights, boxed bring $2000
    7-1/2" Flattop 44's as well as the 10" Flattop 44's command good money from $1500 & up.
    Type 1 Flattop 357's command $1100 in VG condition.
    10" Flattop 357's bring $2000 or more. (And their boxes can command that much as well.)
    A Ross Variation of the Flattop 357 can bring $1400.
    Factory brass grip framed 357 OM, protected ears type will get $1500.
    Long Frame Super's can bring $2200.

I could go on & on,,, but there are MANY collectable Rugers.

Yes,, a "common" variation of the OM 357 will NOT command these values,,, and is often used as a base for a custom & conversion. But every time this happens,,, the rest do get harder to find & values go up. And yes,,, I have seen some shooter grade OM 357's sell for an average of $450 in a few places,,, and I also have seen them on dealer shelves for $600 plus.

And if you have an interest in Ruger collecting,,, check out the Ruger Owners & Collectors Society. (ROCS)

Oh,,, and just for kicks,,, I know of a single Ruger,,, rare enough to command over $30,000 last year. And it wasn't a Hawkeye.

Boolit Bub
    Dang, didn't mean to kick a hornet's nest. My OM has no sentimental value to me and it is just a shooter's grade gun. Actually been used quite a bit from the looks of it. It shoots well, but I want something done for me. I don't feel that it is a waste of money, it would be my gift to myself. I cast bullets and reload to be able to shoot more than I could if I had to pay factory cost. I load my bullets on a single stage purchased used. My kids are now grown and I have some extra that I can afford to spend. I guess what I am saying is that I wasn't asking for permission, I was just interested in what calibers others thought would be good. I actually think I will eventually go with 10mm/ 40. 10mm for any future hunting, 40 because I already shoot a lot of it. Yes a new gun would be cheaper, but how much? What's the price of a gunsmith tuned NM 41 magnum today?

Boolit Master

A bit of advice I should heed more often. "Sometimes it's best to just ignore the Good Idea Fairy"

Boolit Master
    Then I say go for it, but post lots of pics!!!!!

Boolit Master
    mikey,,, PLEASE understand,,, I'm NOT upset or disparaging you in any way. I was pointing out MY personal preferences in not converting an OM,,, but as I mentioned,,, it is YOUR gun to do with as you please. And,,, I tried to convey FULL respect to LLoyd in my reply,,, as I am not upset with him. I just hoped to educate others in the fact that there are many collectable Rugers out there,,,, including in the OM 357 arena.

So,,, no hornets here!!!!!!!!

Now,, back to your conversion thoughts.

May I suggest you make sure your gun is not of a rarer variation before you do any work on it. My Ross variation is a worn shooter,,, and I am tickled that I even own one. If you PM me,, we can discuss the details of your gun to make sure yours is a mass produced variation.

Next,, you are leaning towards the 41 mag. I currently own 9 OM 41 mags & they are NICE to shoot,,, and pleasant guns to enjoy. They,, like the 357 were built with 4-5/8" & 6-1/2" bbls. By converting yours to a 41,, you will be spending a fair amount of money,,, w/o really getting anything "special" other than the frame size.
    And,, since you mentioned your 357 is a convertible,,, I will again pitch the idea of a 10mm cylinder & a 40 S&W cylinder, making the gun a .40 cal. As far as I can recall,,, I've only seen (1) done like this. And it was NICE!!!!!!!!!!! With the 10mm,,, you can upload it safely,, and hunt with it if you desire.With the 40 S&W,, brass is cheap,,, easy to find,,, as are the components for loading either one.
    If you go the 41 mag route,,, the bbl will be an easy thing,,,as a custom builder can use a take-off Ruger bbl. Then,,, boring the cylinder will be straight forward,,, and whatever else you have done will be up to your desires. But by going to a 40 cal,,, you will get a custom bored bbl,,, and when it's assembled,,, likely very accurate. It will add to the expense of the build,,, but you did mention you wanted it to be YOUR special gun.

PM me,,, and we can discuss your gun,, as well as I can offer you some other thoughts on custom work & a few folks to talk to about such projects.

AGAIN,,, if you feel I was stirring up a hornets nest,,, it was NOT my intention.

Banned

you cannot buy an old model 44 special from ruger. You can buy a 44 special the same size. My old model 44 spec conversion by clements is a line boared match grand 4 inch barrel, round butted grip frame, case hardened gun. with a bowen rear sight and a clements post front. Find that in the ruger catalog. Ive got a 4 5/8s bisley 44 spec factory gun too. Neat gun but its not near as cool as the custom. That would be like saying youd never get a custom 3006 built because Mossberg makes one. Or have linebaugh or bowen build you a 475 because FA makes one. don't pm or email me for suggestions though. A custom gun should be what you want with no appolgys, not what someone else suggests
    Quote Originally Posted by psweigle View Post
    I would not convert a perfectly good ruger to ANYTHING you can already buy. For the money you would put into it, you can just buy one already. If 10mm is what you are leaning to, then I would suggest a new model for that conversion. But in all reality, 41 mag is about the same thing.
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 03-11-2017 at 09:39 AM.

Banned

had a 41 special built but had it done on a single six. If your going to do it on a 357 Blackhawk you might as well do 41 mag.
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    41 Special is a natural !
    Can be built on the smaller Blackhawk frame and isn't offered by Ruger.
    There was a two part write up on the 41 special in the No. 304 , October 2016 (part I) and No.305, December 2016 (part II) ,issues of Handloader magazine. Revolver conversions , part I and reloading data, part II.
    I have a 41 magnum , but going to get some 41 special brass to use for light loads with castboolits . 41 magnum brass is a bit hard for light loads so must be annealed and separated from regular magnum brass. the 41 special brass will be easy to keep separate.
    The articles are in Brian Pearce's "From The Hip " columns.
    Personally I would never mess with my three screw, it's the first hand gun I ever bought and this girl I met liked to go shooting it with me. I married her in 1973 and we're still sharing the same bedroom . She's a keeper ... If she enjoys shooting , marry her !
    Too much sentimental value going on with it .
    Gary

Boolit Master
    I almost went down this same path many years ago. I was going with either a .41 Mag or .44 spl with a 5 round cylinder. Barrel was the shorter one. Then someone offered me quite a bit of money for it so I sold it. Got it at a garage sale for cheap in those days ($250). The conversion was going to cost more than the revolver was worth (all the expensive parts are being replaced). I was kinda glad I didn't have to make the caliber choice. I loved the idea of a .41 Mag in a smaller frame gun.

PS Which caliber? The .40/10mm sounds interesting, but mainly cause you already shoot that caliber.