Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MEC 600 jr questions

In Remembrance

One piece of knowledge I must pass on to you is about the extra tall shot bottles. Using the smaller standard bottles for shot and powder is fine. Using that tall bottle for shot without a `bottle brace` is asking for the attachment cap on the top of the press to break off (only lightly welded on) and I can`t tell you how much fun about 15 lbs. of 7 1/2 shot dumped on the floor can be!Robert

Boolit Grand Master
    The cheap MEC's do fine but are not fast. DO NOT SUBSTITUTE components listed in the manuals.

Promo is the same as Red Dot but less expensive...it only comes in 8 lb jugs. It is all I use for singles and doubles loads
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Mec makes good ammo, use the components shown in manuals, same case, same wad, same powder charge, if you do don't you will end up with poor leaking crimps or crimps that pop up and spill shot, over loads will recoil more and enlarge primer pockets, which will in turn spill powder in your action. Ask me how I know all this!!

Boolit Buddy
    ONLY USE PROPER COMPONITS FOR THE HULL YOU ARE RELOADING!!! I have seen more than one gun damaged or destroyed by the any old hull will work with ''MY RECIPE'' attitude.
    Last edited by huntnman; 03-11-2017 at 12:19 AM. Reason: spelling
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian" Henry Ford

Find a copy of the MEC powder bushing chart online and print it off, but only use it as a "rough guide". Powder lots vary and so do operator techniques when operating the MEC presses. Throw a few test charges of the powder you are actually using and measure them with a decent scale. I've used MEC 600's in 12, 20 and .410 for years and very few of my powder bushings actually throw what the chart lists by number / charge weight. I use my scales to determine the correct number of powder bushing for the load I'm using ...
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    I would like to add to Reverend Al's post, when you weigh your powder charges with a certain lot of powder with your bushings,write it down in your reloading book! That way, you may not have to do all that again when you go to reloading the same powder, as long as lot numbers are the same! Just my .02 from a lot of years reloading shotshells! Good luck to you.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Master
    Minimize components. After you research loads in manuals or online, get one primer, one powder, and one wad you can use in either Winchester AA or Remington STS and Gun Club hulls. If you load 1 1/8 oz. target loads for either clay targets or blasting stuff, there are plenty of powders that will serve your needs, and can also be used in handgun loads. I use Green dot for such loads, but I've used it so long and have enough on hand that I haven't studied what other powders are suitable, particularly some of the newer ones.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12