Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackbox
WidenersRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 3 1/2" Shotgun round for home defense?

Boolit Master

Generally I've had 2.75" 00 buck loaded for my shotguns last 30+ yrs. At times do to certain circumstances been special loads or #4 Buck. I would use 3 1/2" or birdshot if it was the only thing I had at the time. While we may plan for the fight to be close range indoors it may go to outside or threat maybe 4 legged outside. I want to ensure I have penetration and reach the vitals (I live in a rural area)

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Boolit Master
    At household ranges a spreader load isn't going to spread much more than a regular load. We are talking 'feet' here , not yards.

All I use for turkey hunting is 2 3/4" #5's . At household ranges you are probably not getting much spreading. Another vote for 2 3/4" !

Just get a dog or 2. It's a much safer way of home defence than risking shooting a family member.
    Buzzards got to eat, same as the worms.

Boolit Grand Master
    If you have children and maybe even a wife down range, WHY would you even consider shooting in their direction? In the middle of the night do you KNOW if they are in bed, crawling around, sleep walking, having night frights or heading for the kitchen for more cookies? Be prepared, yes, but be sure of your target AND THE IMPACT AREA! Think!!!!!!

Boolit Grand Master
    Firing a shotgun indoors will do a number on your hearing.

Some other advice.

Get an alarm system and set it every night. Train your family what to do, and where to go when it sounds. In most cases, an intruder will flee when the alarm sounds...threat gone without firing a shot. The alarm will also reduce the cost of your homeowners insurance and gun insurance.

I live in a remote area and have an alarm, but also have a Glock at the bedside and two 12 ga pumps and two AR15's (one pair in the bedroom and one pair in the study) for SD. Electronic muffs are at both locations where the guns are. Guns should be loaded and ready to go. You do not want someone to hear you rack a shotgun or release the bolt on the AR. It will tell them were you are, reducing your element of surprise; and they may shoot through the wall to get to you. If they did not run at the sound of the alarm, racking the shotgun is not going to work as a deterrent as is commonly believed, and you are short one round. You are in a fight for survival if the alarm has not deterred them. It makes a "good" shoot so much easier to defend.
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Firing a shotgun indoors will do a number on your hearing.

Some other advice.

Get an alarm system and set it every night. Train your family what to do, and where to go when it sounds. In most cases, an intruder will flee when the alarm sounds...threat gone without firing a shot. The alarm will also reduce the cost of your homeowners insurance and gun insurance.

I live in a remote area and have an alarm, but also have a Glock at the bedside and two 12 ga pumps and two AR15's (one pair in the bedroom and one pair in the study) for SD. Electronic muffs are at both locations where the guns are. Guns should be loaded and ready to go. You do not want someone to hear you rack a shotgun or release the bolt on the AR. It will tell them were you are, reducing your element of surprise; and they may shoot through the wall to get to you. If they did not run at the sound of the alarm, racking the shotgun is not going to work as a deterrent as is commonly believed, and you are short one round. You are in a fight for survival if the alarm has not deterred them. It makes a "good" shoot so much easier to defend.
    So wait... you have ear muffs located with all your HD weapons? You actually think you'll be in the frame of mind to put some on in a fire fight?

Firing a shotgun in a house during the moment of truth will not harm your hearing. It's not like you're doing it everyday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I will conduct some testing. I have a feeling based on your information I may settle on 4 buck after all. Especially since my boy's bedroom would be separated from my muzzle by at least 6 individual sheets of drywall.

Quote Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
    Let me suggest something:

Take your "home defense" load and pattern it through your cylinder bore (no choke) "home defense" shotgun. It makes a ragged hole only at near powder burn close ranges.

Try 10 feet, 15, 20 and 25 feet, which would be long range for most homes. At 25 feet the pattern is about 8 inches. At 20 it's about six or seven. Individual pellets are evident at that range rather than an "en masse" hole. Penetration starts to be not so good when birdshot pellets make individual rather than "en masse" holes

At 10 feet and beyond the birdshot loaded shotgun gets a little dicey penetrationwise, especially through jackets and any amount of outerwear. If the problem is closer than that be prepared for a disarming attempt unless you have the gun leveled and finger on the bang switch.

If individual pellet holes and a broad 3-8" or bigger swath of impact is evident birdshot isn't a good idea. Please do not take my word for it. By all means quantify what is happening yourself. Some terminal ballistic authorities don't even like it at close range.

Since possible shots at my place may double 15 feet, birdshot is out. 4 buck for 30 feet or less and this passes penetration minimums birdshot cannot get close to.

If you are barricaded in a small room I pity whoever tries to break in there even if you're loaded with birdshot. But if that scenario is not what you are doing buckshot shows the needed superiority in penetration and is more versatile otherwise.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm working on my wife in that department. I want a dog bigtime. We're in a rural area as well and I'd like to have my dog pulling security detail. Everybody out here has a dog... except us.

Quote Originally Posted by True.grit View Post
    Just get a dog or 2. It's a much safer way of home defence than risking shooting a family member.

Boolit Master
    Buck shot #4-23/4 in.

Boolit Master
    Mossberg used to make a .410 with a dummy muzzle that looked like a 20 gauge. I suspect a look at the big hole made the gun as effective as a real 20. Inside a house I wouldn't be surprised if it sounded almost as loud. Probably would not make much difference what size barrel the shot comes out of. If the individual pellets are large enough to penetrate well they should be effective. The target probably could not tell if he was hit by a shotgun pellet or a pistol bullet considering how many of use have any practical experience being shot.

Boolit Grand Master
    Take your shot charge and spread it over a 2-3 inch circle, which represents the spread of about a 6-10 foot impact. Are the pellets more than a single layer deep?

No.

Even at quite close ranges birdshot does not make an "en masse" hole, and the penetration starts to be limited by the small size of the shot. Judge shot penetration by how well the shot penetrates individually as that will very likely be the case when you need to use it.

Boolit Grand Master

This test mirrors my personal experience. It was done at 24 feet.

Boolit Grand Master

Same for this one. This test uses pork ribs and shoulder.

Last edited by M-Tecs; 03-23-2017 at 04:29 PM.

Boolit Master

Very telling videos!

Yup, #8 shot is useless.

I use 3", low brass....I open up the top and pour a bit of hot paraffin wax on top of pellets to help hold em together and provide a nice solid impact at close range but will fragment upon impact, so I don't really need to worriy as mush if a shot misses and hits a wall.

Boolit Grand Master

Boolit Master
    Few things to think about. Is said person going to be in open? They are going to be sneaking around if they think someone is home. looking around corners. If you have an idea they are coming and are ready?? If said person is at ten feet the birds shot should work. When I was younger and bored hunting crows as they were smarter then us. We use to cut small trees down. Up to 2 " tree a shot shell they will cut off the tree. A 4" tree no way in fact If I recall its like 4 to 6 shots. Back up to 20 ft. or so, using 1 1/8 loads it was way more like 20 if I recall it was darn, we need to go and get more shells lasts few the tree fell down. What bored 15-16 year old do on a farm. So we wasted a box + of ammo to shot up 3 or 4 tree. At 10 ' yes at 15' maybe at 20' getting ?? Is it a good idea using heavier shot ?? Look up penetration rates of shot. Anything over 20' with a shot shell with a load of 8's,7.5's or 6, ?? 5's and 4's give a little more. If you can find the 2's would be enough out to about 45' ft.

Me I want to know where and what I'm shooting at. If I want to shoot up trough or trough a wall a load to do it. I watch shootout on T V and just say stop playing around, me I'm more of a Dirty Hairy type. So it be the bigger toys. If said person is behind wall, door or brick for that matter they'll know they are in trouble. If you come to my home best to call out or knock. If I don't know you, and you choose to enter you better be hurt in trouble, needing help or ask and talk to me in a nice way, you may not get chance to have a second chance. Make sure of your target!!
    Last edited by Teddy (punchie); 03-23-2017 at 08:58 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    That is incredible footage! Thanks, M-Tecs, for finding these videos. Very telling.

Boolit Grand Master
    If you are satisfied with much less penetration than IWB/FBI minimum specs require is what it comes down to. If much less is okay by your reckoning have at it with the birdshot. Other learned suggestions as to what is needed take into account at least some reserve penetrating capability as a requirement. You may not be shooting at clothingless skinless rib meat at ten feet with no oblique presentations or intervening limbs.

You probably will not be shooting at such a target is my best guess.

Since the 24 foot test did not specify a choke, and the other 10 foot test was a modified choke, how about a 20 foot video with a no choke home defense pump?

If you plan to barricade in a small room with your barrel pointed at the door have at it with the birdshot. I will not fail to acknowledge a point blank range shotgun is lethal with birdshot.

If anything else occurs you are out of your element to increasing degree the farther away you get from what you are shooting.

Maybe you need to look into Flitecontrol as an option if fewer limitations as to birdshot range are desired. As for the sheet rock and plywood, my springer pellet guns go through those, so some perspective is helpful.
    Last edited by 35remington; 03-23-2017 at 08:05 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast