Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationRepackboxLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Titan Reloading

Thread: To hot to powder coat

Boolit Mold

To hot to powder coat

I guess 140 degrees is to hot to dump lead in powder. It ended up one big clump. Everything I've ever seen tells you to put it in the toaster oven for four minutes at 140° so logic tells me that the bullet should be 140 degrees when you dump them into the powder but I guess not. Does anybody know what the ideal temperature is to combine the bullets with the powder
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3764101A-5A23-4D4F-9D07-2780C529C982.jpg  

Boolit Mold
    And it's ok to put this mess back in the pot and recast right? Is there anyway to remove the pc without remelting?

I don't know why folks think the powder would coat better when the bullet is hot. The powder is adhered via static electricity till it's baked on. Guess you learned the heard way. Melt em down and recast.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by brick196 View Post
    ... Does anybody know what the ideal temperature is to combine the bullets with the powder
    I always use room temperature for mine.
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master

Not heat required for smokes powders (and select others) . I think the heat thing is a throw back to jig heads.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Vendor Sponsor

If it clumped, you were too hot, over 140. Ive found good results at 100-120. Just when the lead feels warm is all you need, room temp in Michigan is 60 and it doesn't seem to work as well as body temp around 100

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

(2)...The Devil's in the Details>>>>>PC Coatings<<<<<

Just do what the majority does...can't miss.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    (2)...The Devil's in the Details>>>>>PC Coatings<<<<<

Just do what the majority does...can't miss.
    ^^^this^^^
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Bub
    Brick196, I did the same thing but I was closer to 200. Use less boolits at a time first for less combined heat. Second, the coating isn't fully cured so it will come of if soaked in acetone. I tried it. Keep it covered and just let it soak, every once in a while, give it a little shake. For absolutely best results, get a ESPC gun at Harbor freight. I just got one and it's so much better for what I want. Heat does help but it's hard to heat to such a low temp. My oven goes down to 200. I have sprayed from 70 to 200 degrees and anything above 100 seems to work best. I think the heat partially melts the PC and helps the buildup. Obviously, to much heat equals to much build up. Hope it helps.

Banned

I just shake them at 60-65f where my shop usually stays summer and winter.
    it works just fine.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the advice guys I'm doing room temp from now on. Jcduff I thought about the spray gun but it's a little more than I want to get into. This was my third batch of pc'ed bullets The first two batches turned out fine I just made a mistake. I won't even be messing with this powder coat but the pan lube is too much of a mess. It wasn't for me being such a cheap *** and wanting to shoot lead bullets out of a glock I won't be messing with it at all.i have a large supply of lead and just hate buying bullets.

Boolit Master

Hi-Tek. Works great. Inexpensive.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

Banned

I could help you with that too much lead problem..

Boolit Buddy
    You don't want the coating too thick or uneven so avoid coating hot. Watch the smoke when you melt those! It's nasty.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Laich View Post
    I always use room temperature for mine.
    My garage, in Texas, in the middle of summer is 140 degrees room temperature.
    " My people skills are just fine. It's my tolerance for idiots that needs work."

Boolit Master

Keep in mind 140f on the dial is rarely 140f in the oven.

Boolit Buddy

P dont guess I have herd that one yet , room temp, is the way to go
    I like 1911's and Wheel Guns , Wood Stocks and Blue Metal , Dislike Black on Black and Magazines on Rifles whats this country coming to.
    Amateur Radio Station -KB5SMG- since 1994 Call sign change as of 8-15-17 WB5MG *** My Station now consist of a new * Icom 7300 * along with a new * Ameritron AL-80B Amp * and various other goodies. * Alinco DX70T * HF radio in my truck I can Be emailed at rockinpmanager@gmail.com

Boolit Bub
    Brick196, I understand completely. I'm shooting a 45 colt and buying these gets expensive quick. I bought several hundred of cast off GunBroker and when they arrived, most of the lube was gone. I read about PC and decided to give it a try. I washed the lube off with mineral spirits and acetone. Then, I powder coated in a butter tub without BBs. I was having trouble getting good coverage and heard about heating. I tried that and it worked on the first batch but the second got too hot. The third was still too hot and ended up being thicker than I needed. The heat definitely helps but it has to be at the right temp. When I started spraying, I noticed that I was getting too much over spray so I warmed the boolits up and tried again. I use much less PC by doing this way and have even heated them to 200f prior to spraying without any issues.

Recasting the glob of PC wasn't an option for me at the time because I didn't have any casting equipment. Santa brought me a Lee 4-20 and a mold so now I can keep the BH fed well. The spray does cost more but it is very uniform which makes it more accurate out of the 1894 Marlin at 100 yards. At 15-20 yards, I couldn't tell a difference between shake & bake and ESPC. I'm really glad someone figured out this PC stuff because I've had terrible luck with tumble lubing. And I hate constantly scrubbing my guns. I hope you get it figured out because PC is the way to go.

The BB's are a essential part of the shake and bake method.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boolit_Head View Post
    The BB's are a essential part of the shake and bake method.
    Well not always never used them never had any trouble just shake and bake. Now that said the humidity her runs 20% to _3 so makes a difference.��
    Frank G.