RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RepackboxWidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recovered powder coated boolits

Boolit Bub

Recovered powder coated boolits

The snow has finally left and I was able to recover some of the boolits from this winter's shooting. It really confirmed the effectiveness of powder coating. Some are HP 30 caliber, and some are 9mm. There is also a couple of boolits that I bought from a supplier with another popular coating. I noticed that the powder coating held up great, while the other coating was gone wherever the rifling contacted the boolits.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Those look like mine....the few I have ever recovered!! PC still there but smeared by lead deformation. That stuff, when cured properly, is amazing!

Thanks for posting!

banger

Boolit Master
    What rises to the surface when they are remelted. I know that sounds like an odd question, but what does it take to skim it off? Will it burn or simply melt into a glob? Does it leave any adverse pot residue? Since I do not PC, nor know anyone who does, I have no way of knowing other than ask.
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Been discussed many MANY times on here. PC just burns and floats on the top to be skimmed off. And NO....it is NOT a flux!

Just melt as normal and skim off the black carp. No pot residue, no goop, just black ash.

Try PC. Once you do you will dump all your grease stuff!

banger

Boolit Master
    Thanks, Banger. Might try it after I retire..., which is right around the corner!
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Friar_Tuck View Post
    The snow has finally left and I was able to recover some of the boolits from this winter's shooting. It really confirmed the effectiveness of powder coating. Some are HP 30 caliber, and some are 9mm. There is also a couple of boolits that I bought from a supplier with another popular coating. I noticed that the powder coating held up great, while the other coating was gone wherever the rifling contacted the boolits.
    Very interested to know the alloy and speed of those .30 cal.??

"Balistic media" was snow

Boolit Master

taking a turn at the next intersection...

How much snow do you need to keep the bullets from exiting? In Houston we only have Sundrifts and that's during July and August.

My gut feeling is like 50 ft of it (total guess) but then I've only heard about it in passing in posts on the site

thanks
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Look how that 'other' coating reveals the lead where the lands have engraved them…now look at the PC'd boolits…the lands are lubricated and the lead is not exposed.
    I don't see a more convincing argument for PCing boolits!

OS OK
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Laich View Post
    taking a turn at the next intersection...

How much snow do you need to keep the bullets from exiting? In Houston we only have Sundrifts and that's during July and August.

My gut feeling is like 50 ft of it (total guess) but then I've only heard about it in passing in posts on the site

thanks
    I remember when it snowed in Houston in ?1958?…about 4-6 inches out in Spring Branch…I left tracks across everybody's front yard all the way home from elementary school that day! First time I ever saw snow!

OS OK
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Bub
    I live where we have snow cover for up to 6 or 7 mo. a yr. and have shot many rounds of both j-word and cast into the stuff. Undisturbed field snow will offer very little resistance to a bullet and most flat-angle entrance shots result in a bullet track many feet long and then a ricochet/skip to the next contact point sometimes many hundred of yards downrange. Bullets skip off snow much like flat rocks from water.

Shooting into a disturbed pile of snow such as we get from clearing yards is a different story. This snow becomes very dense, almost to an ice state, and works very efficiently as a temporary backstop. Handgun slugs usually stop in a couple of feet and rifle usually penetrate not much more than 4 ft or so.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by fingers284 View Post
    I live where we have snow cover for up to 6 or 7 mo. a yr. and have shot many rounds of both j-word and cast into the stuff. Undisturbed field snow will offer very little resistance to a bullet and most flat-angle entrance shots result in a bullet track many feet long and then a ricochet/skip to the next contact point sometimes many hundred of yards downrange. Bullets skip off snow much like flat rocks from water.

Shooting into a disturbed pile of snow such as we get from clearing yards is a different story. This snow becomes very dense, almost to an ice state, and works very efficiently as a temporary backstop. Handgun slugs usually stop in a couple of feet and rifle usually penetrate not much more than 4 ft or so.
    Wow, I would have never guessed packed snow is such a good backstop--is that just Canadian snow or would UP snow work as well? (UP = Upper Peninsula--I have relatives in Michigan)
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master

Yup its Canadian snow. Best backstop if thick enough.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-03-23 15.58.08.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	165113
    These are four I found all reduced loads, into snow.
    Yellow snow will stop them pretty quick too.
    Be well
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Laich View Post
    Wow, I would have never guessed packed snow is such a good backstop--is that just Canadian snow or would UP snow work as well? (UP = Upper Peninsula--I have relatives in Michigan)
    Snow is snow no matter where it is. If it is warm enough it will become soft and wet however if the outside ambient temp is cold enough to "keep" snow it will make a backstop.

LOL. Walt Ill make you a deal, we'll trade places for a few years...by then you'll know everything you don't want to know about the stuff and I'll get a chance to forget everything I know about it...I've had enough of the sh!t to last a lifetime...that and the -40 as well.

Boolit Bub
    Just got a fresh batch of "Northern Backstop Material" delivered from the sky today. If anyone wants to come get it, you can have it for free!

And I just iced down the cooler. Kind of felt bad for my little girl she didn't get to see any snow this past winter.

2 items in comparison of #1 & #13. Thickness of coating, and difference in boolit vs groove size. #1 appears thicker and closer to groove size, #13 thinner and oversized from the amount of Pb in the L.G.s. Note the separation at the L.G. that sometimes flies off. Wonder which is more accurate.
    Whatever!

More snow melted....

Vendor Sponsor

looks like your coating is doing its job well !
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    looks like your coating is doing its job well !
    Smoke, its your powder(s), few even mixed with some other PC......your PC is helping "less successful" PCs to be used with ease....

130 grs 9mm SWC MP Mold fired through Glock into "regular" and compact snow. 1 to 3 meters of bullet travel...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast