Snyders JerkyLoad DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxWideners
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 223/5.56 subsonic

Banned

tried unique, hero, hs6, 4227, 110, 1680 4198 335 exterminator, tac, on the faster side 4895, 4064, re17 and re19 for mid range powders and re25, and 860 on the slow side. Ones that came the closest have been re19, re25 and 4895. the two reloader powders are just to dirty burning so still the closest thing to success is 4895. the 300 blackout probably isn't going to take as much to insure reliable chambering as its got loads with fairly clean burning powders so the chamber doesn't get all crudded up in a few rounds. That and it gums the heck out of the trigger mechanism so bad that you about have to pull it apart and clean it because spray cleaners do get it all
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmy40 View Post
    Try a faster powder? Would a smaller charge of L'il Gun or 4198 or H335 be cleaner without risking detonation?(would detonation even be an issue in a rifle chamber?)

Banned

ive got a smith ar22 if I want to run 22lr. subsonic. the idea here was to get my 223 rifle subsonic with this 100 grain bullet. With a bullet that heavy its power level would be in a different world then your typical 22 subsonic load. Ive tried those 60grain lr loads and all of them tumble out of all of my 22s even at 25. I should say all. Ive only tried them in 3. my 1522 smith my takedown 22 ruger and my 16 inch bolt threaded savage. dismal accuracy in all three of them. I sure hope that 22 conversion uses a 1 in 7 twist or your not going to be happy. Especially at the price they want for them. Better deal is those norma tac 22s they are subsonic in all of my guns and run them too and shoot real well at a cheaper price. Then if your starting like me with a 223 suppressor which is build a lot different then a rim fire suppersor youll find that the 223 suppressor doesn't quite lr's down near as much as a dedicated 22lr can will.

The aguila SSS are optimized for a 1 in 9 twist barrel, and most 22lr are most happy with a 1 in 16 like most 22lr rifles

Boolit Bub
    Well, I'm out of ideas!

Boolit Master
    All the 22 lr set ups you have to decide, heavy subsonic or not. The fast twist barrel that makes those 60gr Aguilas work, may not like anything else. Gun that likes other 22 wont shoot the 60gr.

No idea on the drop in set ups for an AR on what they use for rifling, yea it would depend on the barrel in the rifle. But they still need some sort of barrel to take up the extra chamber. Cant imagine going from one twist to another is good for accuracy.

Seems if your that close to getting an AR to run subsonic 223, you need to look at the gas system. A bit more gas and it might cycle, or maybe a short one like the 300 does. Where the gas port is pistol length, you would get more pressure to cycle the rifle. Obvious problem is it would be over gassed for regular 223.

I know the obvious solution is some sort of chamber adapter, problem is any I have seen arent rifled, so you have a long throat before it slams into the rifling. It didn't work very good in my 45colt/410 set up. Way it is now, I can simply swap the mag for sub/supersonic. A 223 can will work sub or super. Its a Mossberg bolt gun that uses AR mags. Im going to lay out the cash for a 70gr mold from NOE soon. Have considered reaming out my lyman mold to get rid of the lube grooves, I powder coat, little more weight.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12