RepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWideners
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: 300 blackout question for those who might know.

Boolit Mold

300 blackout question for those who might know.

Hey guys:
    please forgive my ignorance as I am new to forums and have never asked a question on one before. I have been reloading now for the better part of 15 years but my experience has been primarily in metallics. I have been casting now for a little over 2 years and just recently started to cast for my 300 blackout. I am using primarily wheel weight lead and water quenching the bullets for hardness. I am using the Lee 312-155 mold and sizing them down to .309 using a lee sizer die. I am then lubing them with Lee liquid alox and gas checking them with a copper check. I am fairly confident (emphasis on fairly) that the bullets are working decent as I'm keeping a 4" group at 150 yards. However the issue I am having is I can only get about 1-3 30 round magazines out before the bolt is so gummed up it seizes forward due to either lead or carbon powder in the BCG and star chamber.
    I am using Lit'l gun powder at 15 grains. Again if this were metallics I wouldn't be having the issue as I have been able to fire well over a 1000 rounds of FMJ's with the same powder through the same gun with no issue.
    So I guess my question is am I doing something wrong? Or has anyone else had the same issue? Is there a fix to this or am I just kind of stuck cleaning a BCG and chamber after every mag?

Any help would be greatly apreciated thank you in advance for any advise or imput.

Known issue with Lil Gun. Switch to a different powder and powder coat the bullets and your problems will disappear.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Boolit Mold
    Any suggestions for powder?

Boolit Master

My preferred Lee 155-312 load is 15.3gr H110/W296.

That works well for me as well.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Boolit Master
    16 gr RL 7 works good

Boolit Mold
    Thank you

I have no issues with Lil Gun in my 2 300 Blkouts. Im running Arsenal 170's. I have used a number of different cast 30 cal's and really had no issues with the BCG gumming up. My issue was more of a fitment (really tight chamber) and feeding issue ( flat nose's). I would bet if you PC'd you would solve your problem.

stuck cleaning a BCG and chamber after every mag?
    Chamber too? Suspect something else is a problem in addition to the l'gun. Try different sizes or slug it. What is gas port size/ pistol port?
    Whatever!